Uti?

Red Fox

My 11 week old puppy has regressed in her toilet training the past few days and decided that using her mat in her pen as a giant pee pad is a great idea :rolleyes:.

I've gone out and bought some Biozet today and will rewash all bedding in that to see if it makes a difference. I wonder if it's just that the bedding is absorbant and the scent is now in there, hence the repeated accidents as she's been pretty good in the house apart from this.

However, last night she peed in her crate for the first time, I'd put her down at around 9:30pm, heard her whine at around 3am and the bedding was soaked. Cleaned it up, put in a new bed and she slept through until 7am with no probs. Then she did it again in the crate in the car this morning. Both times she has been quite tired so maybe that has something to do with it?

Her urine is clear-ish and not overly smelly, no signs of blood, no obvious pain, no licking at herself etc.

Could it possibly be the beginnings of a UTI? Or just a hiccup in training? And if so is there anything I can use to head it off just in case? I have cranberry juice here, I was thinking perhaps the capsule/tablets from the chemist might be helpful too.

The vets are closed until Monday and I'd rather not bring her in as an emergency at this stage.

I swear by the Cranberry tablets.

My girl was getting UTI"s every 3 months and had struvite crystals as well as a very high Ph level.

Had her tested 2 weeks after starting the tablets and back to normal :)

She hasn't had a problem in nearly 2 years :crossfingers:

Edited by CavsRcute

Cranberry can prevent a UTI by stopping bacteria from adhering to the walls of the bladder/urinary tract but it won't cure an existing UTI, only antibiotics will.

My Cavaliers all get a Cranberry 5000 tablet every night with dinner and they've never had a UTI.

My Rottie girl had a UTI on a couple of occasions when she was young. Then I started her on Cranberry tablets every night and she never had another UTI.

Update: Turns out she's absolutely fine. I swapped the bedding in her pen, washed everything in Biozet, changed her dry meal on a night for a raw one (and no water in the crate overnight) and have been making sure she goes before leaving her in the inside pen - no more piddling. So probably just me being a little too complacent with her toilet training.

Interestingly, two nights feeding raw and she has slept solidly through both. Where-as normally she would wake up around 3am for a drink and a pee.

Glad all is well.

My Hamlet .. who is def. NOT a pup..used to get dry of a night time. 2 or 3 times he peed in his sleep ..... LOTS .. and I was worried , but thought I'd try feeding raw as his bedtime snack . Now there's no big drink of a night, and a dry bed . The peeing in his sleep is still a concern, but as it hasn't happened again ... He does sleep heavily , poor boy .

Thats interesting Perse. My older dog is fed raw so I'm really noticing the amount my pup drinks eating mainly dry food. I'm also noticing the difference in poop!

I think I'll feed her a raw meal of a night from now on and see how we go. She seems to enjoy it more anyway.