Making It Work With Puppies And Babies

ncarter

Excellent,... 2 more untrained, juvenile delinquent Great Danes will be either dumped in a pound or surrendered to rescue in approx 8mths time.. (or 'the naughty' one will be).. Just what Dane Rescue needs... advance warning...

Your friend is totally unrealistic and immature to think bringing 2 giant breed puppies into her life when she is bringing 2 humans into her life isn't going to be damaging to all concerned..

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a person that has had twins it is hard work,even if your very organised you have no time to yourself let alone training pups.. I breastfed mine which was amazing but took a big chunk of time and I had a 4yr old and 2yr old. Does she have other children? I had no complications, went to 38 weeks but I will stress again No Time for yourself let alone 2 dogs... I hope she makes the right decision for herself and doesn't make more work for herself as that could get her down ..

I doubt you will change her mind if she is determined to do this but I don't understand the rush why can't she wait till after the babies are born?

I have twins and when I was pregnant with them I had a puppy it is hard try toilet training when you are the size of a house and having trouble bending over it is not fun! At 30 weeks I looked like I was full term with one child and I went full term let me tell you it was a killer.

I had good babies so after it was easier for me to cope with walking etc as she was an active girl.

What if she has problems with pregnancy the puppies will not get the attention they need what if she is in hospital with pregnancy problems. I think she is being very selfish not really thinking clearly. I hope you can change her mind. :)

Edited by Belljari

Hi!

My name is Sacha from Great Dane Rescue & Rehoming NSW.

I wouldn't advise getting any new dogs when yoru friend is about to have twins - 1 baby is enough to cope with let alone 2 with new dogs let alone Danes.

Please sway your friend away from this - getting into a routine with her babies is the priority.

I have a friend who is 3 months pregnant with twins. She is also looking to get another dog as her last dog died last year. She would like to get a Dane or similar giant breed as she has had these dogs before. She would like to get 2 puppies of similar age (not necessraily siblings) so they can have each other to play with. And ideally she would like to get the pups sooner rather than later so she can get them settled in, begin training etc before the twins arrive.

I have said to her it does sound like a lot of work etc etc but she is stubborn and determined to do this. So I was just wondering what steps you would take if you were in a similar situation to make sure things went smoothly with 2 young pups and expecting babies around the same time?

It will go more smoothly for the pups if they don't have to live with this woman at all. How selfish to buy two large dogs and have to leave them to 'play with each other' while she looks after her own babies. I wouldn't tell her she isn't capable of looking after two babies and two puppies, but I would start calling her Octomum -lite. Who is she trying to impress?

Give her my number and I will gladly tell her all about raising Great Dane puppies 0425 840 058.

No decent breeder would sell anyone 2 Giant puppies at once, nor place one in a home where there is one of similar age.

I can see it ending badly for the puppies :(

oh and let us know her name do we can worn breeders about her ;)

To put it nice, the woman is crazy if she thinks that is going to work!! I only had 1 baby and still barrely had time to spend with 1 adult dog. Nevermind 2 large puppies.

If she's already had a dog then she should know how much effort needs to go in to training a puppy, and how silly 6 month old dogs are. They are going to have very little concept of how to be gentle around adults let alone babies and it could end up with serious injury to the babies just because a large puppy is being a puppy!

Not to mention the strain that pregnancy puts on your body normally with just 1 baby. She'll be feeling it a lot sooner with twins, and whether or not she wants to admit it (or even realises it) she is going to lose a fair bit of physical capability by the end of her pregnancy.

She may be a good person and a good dog owner normally, but she is deluding herself if she thinks that pregnancy + 2 new puppies is a good plan.

I had twins and a 2 and a half year old when they were born , honestly it's exhausting . And my husband was an awesome help , but you get one awake one asleep and you can't really establish good routines . And puppies love routine .

I had a old lassie , and knew I wanted another dog . He

passed Jan this year 15 years .Best move I made was

getting a 2 year old Lab . Great with kids , housebroken,

was able to cope with changing routines .

Also towards the end of my twin pregnancy I was beyond exhausted , she will struggle to walk dogs . A decision not to rush into .

At the end of mine I wasn't able to drive as I couldnt reach the steering wheel!! I wasn't able to stand in the shower I had to use a special chair.. Plus being so very tired...

Edited by mumof4girls

I don't have any 2 legged kids at home anymore but have 2, 4 legged ones. A 3 year old & a 1 year old & I am flat out with them. Don't seem to have a spare moment, what with exercising, grooming, training,feeding

e.t.c e.t.c Even if your friend has 'perfect' babies & 'perfect' puppies it is impossible to do properly IMO.I think this whole delusional idea is a recipe for disaster :eek: unfortunatley the furry kids will be the ones that

will suffer the consequences! I would be doing everything humanly possible to make my friend see the light. If she wants to get 'a' puppy, why not wait till the twins are at least going to kinda cause puppies need at the very

least YOUR TIME & DEVOTION.

Excellent,... 2 more untrained, juvenile delinquent Great Danes will be either dumped in a pound or surrendered to rescue in approx 8mths time.. (or 'the naughty' one will be).. Just what Dane Rescue needs... advance warning...

Your friend is totally unrealistic and immature to think bringing 2 giant breed puppies into her life when she is bringing 2 humans into her life isn't going to be damaging to all concerned..

Couldn't agree more !!

I have a friend who is 3 months pregnant with twins. She is also looking to get another dog as her last dog died last year. She would like to get a Dane or similar giant breed as she has had these dogs before. She would like to get 2 puppies of similar age (not necessraily siblings) so they can have each other to play with. And ideally she would like to get the pups sooner rather than later so she can get them settled in, begin training etc before the twins arrive.

I have said to her it does sound like a lot of work etc etc but she is stubborn and determined to do this. So I was just wondering what steps you would take if you were in a similar situation to make sure things went smoothly with 2 young pups and expecting babies around the same time?

OMG 2 puppies and 2 Babies!!!!!!

Does she have nannies or something? I got a puppy when I was pregnant and I invested a lot of time into the puppy until my son was born and then my priorities shifted and I got way slack. I can only imagine the horror of raising 2 giant breeds and twins

And good luck getting a good breeder to give her a puppy or 2 in those circumstances.

I had twins and a 2 and a half year old when they were born , honestly it's exhausting . And my husband was an awesome help , but you get one awake one asleep and you can't really establish good routines . And puppies love routine .

I had a old lassie , and knew I wanted another dog . He

passed Jan this year 15 years .Best move I made was

getting a 2 year old Lab . Great with kids , housebroken,

was able to cope with changing routines .

Also towards the end of my twin pregnancy I was beyond exhausted , she will struggle to walk dogs . A decision not to rush into .

At the end of mine I wasn't able to drive as I couldnt reach the steering wheel!! I wasn't able to stand in the shower I had to use a special chair.. Plus being so very tired...

OMG mum of four I remember that ( twins are now 2 and a bit :) ) not to mention the kankles from hell !!!

I am really not sure what to add that others haven't already said ... Let her read this . It's advice from others with out prejudice - I am all for a dog lover getting a dog ..... Circumstances need to be right for both human and dog , and this has stress all over it .