Spondylosis

dogdogdog

My girl Charley has just xrayed and the radiographs show an area of spondylosis in the lumbarsarcal region of her spine.

Medication long term appears to be the only thing we can do.

Just wondering what everyone else has done.

Hello,

This article might be helpful to you.

http://www.pethealthandcare.com/dog-health/spondylosis-in-dogs.html

All the best

Keep fit,keep the weight off,don't over use painmeds .

My boy has Bowen done every 2/3 weeks .

In winter keep warm & even in Summer be careful there not in an air con draft.

My boy has had it bad for 4 years now,we only use pain relief when needed otherwise the ability for it to work well starts to wear out plus they cause other issues so we try to ensure a good long term plan than over use .We have found in the warmer weather the meds aren't required as much so we use this time frame for a break .

we use arnica cream on the main areas and any other natural product where possible

My girl Charley has just xrayed and the radiographs show an area of spondylosis in the lumbarsarcal region of her spine.

I have spoken to a vet that has performed stem cell therapy on a dog that has lumbosacral spondylosis.

It is done through a company called Medivet. Look them up. medivet.net.au

I have spoken to a vet that has performed stem cell therapy on a dog that has lumbosacral spondylosis.

It is done through a company called Medivet. Look them up. medivet.net.au

That looks very exciting. Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...

I enquired about stem cell therapy but due to where the problem is it would all be a bit of a hit and miss solution.

She is currently on injections once a week for 4 weeks and then will be having them once every 3 months.

So far so good, they seem to be working.

Zero was diagnosed with spondylosis about 9 months ago. He is still doing everything he used to but I am very careful to watch his weight and make sure he gets enough exercise to keep the muscles around the area loose. He does flyball without a problem, though he isn't fast and swims and walks quite a lot. The poor boy is only really in pain when the muscles around the area tighten up (he gets knots around the area) so we go to see the muscle manipulator every few months. He's doing great and the only meds he's on for it is cartrophen once every 6 months and an anti-inflammatory roll on if he's showing signs of pain which i've only used twice.

,we only use pain relief when needed otherwise the ability for it to work well starts to wear out plus they cause other issues so we try to ensure a good long term plan than over use .We have found in the warmer weather the meds aren't required as much so we use this time frame for a break .

This. My old Maremma girl has it too. She was put on pain relief straight away and I changed her diet to a very low fat one. I had to take her off the meds at one stage and found her to actually improve - and the warmer weather and the weight loss also contributed. She is currently drug free but cannot manage stairs on her own at all. Being an outside working dog and in a cold climate I am not looking forward to next winter :( She gets stressed kept indoors overnight though as working outside is all she knows.

Delta was diagnosed about 18 months ago (at 3.5 years old). At this point in time it isn't impacting her life all that much, her back legs don't extend completely (we were actually xraying for HD but her hips turned out to be fine) but that is only minor.

She still competes in agility and flyball and pulls up fine afterwards, the only time we notice her getting stiff is after a long walk. I have reduced her runs in flyball as she is primarily my agility dog and she will likely have a reduced agility career as it is without potentially shortening it even further by doing a lot of flyball too. So she only runs 1 or 2 races in a day, and is only in the team if needed.

As for when it comes time to retire her from agility I will be guided by her chiro and physio. I try to keep her as lean as possible, keep her fit by swimming etc, she is regularly chiro'd and she also gets joint guard. When she does need to be retired we will likely return to DWD or obedience or something like that. She is not on any medication at this point and I will try to delay that for as long as possible.

• 4 weeks later...