Licking Off Sunscreen

FANG

I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how I could stop my white Boxer from licking sunscreen off his pink nose? He is normally very obedient and he knows what "no licking" means, but it's almost as though he can't help but start licking as soon as I apply sunscreen to his nose... It makes the whole exercise seem kind of pointless! I am really worried about him getting skin cancer. I would be most grateful if anyone has any ideas or suggestions. Thanks

post-14680-0-48360600-1322732792_thumb.jpg

i use white zinc on muzzles if they are white or 'burn' easily around their nose....its thicker and lasts for hours....try to apply it and hold their mouth closed whilst doing so, then try to distract them to give it a minute or 2 to dry.

maybe as a reward for sitting still and letting you apply it to his nose you give him a treat/breakfast so that way he's distracted for a little while and may forget about it?

This is what I do when I put fly repellent on my boys ears/nose

The vetbasix sunscreen for dogs has a bittering agent in it which deters them from licking it.Beware though it is a very thick cream and hard to spread but if it's only the nose it should be fine.You can buy it at Petbarn or Petstock.

Definately lots of treats once hes let you put it on (though maybe not in your work clothes right before you walk about the door?) :laugh:

One for Trinabean - i couldn't find any rainbow noses on this laptop but how about a pink nose? (On a stallion!) :rofl: :rofl:

post-42095-0-73009500-1322807530_thumb.jpg

Definately lots of treats once hes let you put it on (though maybe not in your work clothes right before you walk about the door?) :laugh:

One for Trinabean - i couldn't find any rainbow noses on this laptop but how about a pink nose? (On a stallion!) :rofl: :rofl:

He is a stunning boy pink nose or not. :)

He is a stunning boy pink nose or not. :)

I agree, a very handsome boy. :D

Just imagining his thoughts....'How am I gonna explain this to the boys at the water trough?'