Litters Due In February 2012

Bilbo Baggins

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a quick question for you all :)

What do you all use as disinfectants/ washing material when you have puppies and what is the best killer of most germs etc?

I ask because I work at an animal shelter and last litter I got my hand on a bottle of F10 and am hoping to do so again, however buying this in excessive amounts is veerrryyyy expensive :o. I have lino floors which I'm mopping with eucalyptus and some anti bacterial wipes that I'm cleaning the whelping box with. I strip off before I get into where the puppies are and leave my work boots in the garage. On days when I am working directly with the shelter dogs, I am changing before I come home, and then soaking my clothes in F10.

I guess I'm more concerned this time because we have had a few outbreaks of Parvo this year, and I definitely do NOT want to put my little ones at risk.

Any suggestions?!?

What I was told by an old breeder and worked amazingly for me is the following.

Give 1/2 aspirin (for 25kg dog) morning and night for the first 5 days (they are in pain I know I have had kids).

Feed the puppies a small blob of Jalna Bush honey yoghurt twice a day. It fills them up and really helps their bowels and appetite. Also give two heaped tablespoons to mum twice a day.

We also feed mums food wetted with goats milk (UHT is ok). Super high fat and turned her into a milk machine. It is also easy for them to digest so no runny poo etc.

In a week our biggest girl has gone from 380g to almost 1 kg in a week and our smallest has gone from 300g to 810g. Bear in mind this is with a litter of 13 puppies. Needless to say I am somewhat impressed.

thanks Underfoot!! I might give that a try! My kids are steadily putting on weight but I wouldn't mind seeing them pack on a bit more. today they only put on around 20-30g each, while other days 50-70g is the norm. Also stressed me out because Mum had jumped the baby gate and was not with her pups when I came home from work :o.

Where do you get the goats milk from?

thanks Underfoot!! I might give that a try! My kids are steadily putting on weight but I wouldn't mind seeing them pack on a bit more. today they only put on around 20-30g each, while other days 50-70g is the norm. Also stressed me out because Mum had jumped the baby gate and was not with her pups when I came home from work :o.

Mine has free access to and from the puppy room either when I'm home or not. I learnt the hard way with her first litter that she is perfectly able and willing to be an excellent mother, but will not be defined by her mother role alone and is an independent woman with other interests and needs (ie I could never keep her in there) :laugh: . It's taken me a while though to relax and figure out that she knows what she is doing better than me and is perfectly capable of feeding and cleaning them when needed to keep them growing healthy without my silly human interference. I swear she looks at me like "and have YOU ever successfully raised 7 babies before?"

Congratulations everyone on your pups and so sorry for the losses of some.

My little litter of 3 were 2 weeks old yesterday and have been the most content, happy little pups. Mum is doing a great job, she had way too much milk initially but quickly adjusted and they had all doubled their birth weight in 7 days and tripled it in 10 days. So doing VERY well.

However they have only just got up on their legs in the last few days, I guess being a bit chubby and not having to fight for the milk bar they didn't see the need to move too much. Their eyes are now open and they are starting to play a bit with each other.

post-7564-0-73564100-1330379533_thumb.jpg

post-7564-0-13518700-1330379602_thumb.jpg

I only saw it after looking for UHT Lactose free milk, and thought well there you go. wasn't overfly expensive either :)

Yup - sure enough I found some this morning :).

Mine has free access to and from the puppy room either when I'm home or not. I learnt the hard way with her first litter that she is perfectly able and willing to be an excellent mother, but will not be defined by her mother role alone and is an independent woman with other interests and needs (ie I could never keep her in there) :laugh: . It's taken me a while though to relax and figure out that she knows what she is doing better than me and is perfectly capable of feeding and cleaning them when needed to keep them growing healthy without my silly human interference. I swear she looks at me like "and have YOU ever successfully raised 7 babies before?"

Yes, I think I'm quickly learning this too!! Kinta seems perfectly content with them and the babies are certainly not fussing! I'm sure Kinta will be laughing at me thinking "Mum do you REALLY think I don't know what I'm doing?!!?" Mind you it still worries me :o. Such a worry wart I am! Especially because she had a cesarian too - I think jumping for her shouldn't be on the cards! Ah well - I have a friend coming over at lunch today, I'll go home at lunch tomorrow and I think on Thursday I'll kick the other dogs outside and she can have the run of the house :o.

Wow - everyone's babies look so huge compared to mine! At 10 days old we are on average around the 550-600g mark after last nights weigh in. The smallest is 500g and a bit of a worry for me (like I said, worry wart!) because she hasn't put on much weight the past day. Will see how she is at weigh in tonight. She's fat and healthy and always at the boob, so I'm sure she's fine ;)

*sigh* Puppy raising is soooo stressful! :laugh:

such cute labs.

I love the stage when they are still wobbly and they bark and frighten themselves whilst playing with each other.

We have a few with a little bit of eye visible and they are trying to get up on their feet. The thinner ones are much better at it whilst the sloths kinda lay there. Ahh the life of a puppy.

We named them rose, daisy, possum, peppa, rusty, sky, fern, basil, milo, berry, camo, teddy and violet.

Up to 152 grams today from 144 yesterday. Is it normal for it to take quite some time to get her to defecate? Ruby is ok with getting her to urinate but I don't think she's getting her to defecate. It's taking me ages to get her to go and I think it looks a litte dry. We have upped the % of water in her supplement.

How is your baby girl doing today Lindsay?

Here is an idividual shot of my little ones. They are getting so cute, not just little fat slugs now, but starting to develop some character.

post-7564-0-86079000-1330408913_thumb.jpg Rumour (little girl)

post-7564-0-63264900-1330408929_thumb.jpg Gossip (Little girl)

post-7564-0-05504500-1330408998_thumb.jpg Ned Jnr. (Little boy)

post-7564-0-59128400-1330409192_thumb.jpg Another one of little Rumour

Edited by shellbyville

Up to 152 grams today from 144 yesterday. Is it normal for it to take quite some time to get her to defecate? Ruby is ok with getting her to urinate but I don't think she's getting her to defecate. It's taking me ages to get her to go and I think it looks a litte dry. We have upped the % of water in her supplement.

Good, still putting weight on. She's getting more from Ruby too. She was still quite constipated today and the warm water trick didn't work, and she was sooking and not settling on the boob well today so we popped her over to the vets, who gave her some electrolytes and something to relax her belly a little (I'm not sure what), and suggested upping the water in the supplement. The vet also gave her a thorough check and everything else is looking good. :)

:love: they are gorgeous shelbyville :)

Worry wart they should put on 10% of their birth weight a day. That is a 200 gram pup will put on around 20 grams day and double it by 10 days. If they drop weight it may take a bit longer to get there.

Good on Kinta for sorting you out.

Oh yes, I'm totally a worry wart when it comes to puppies!! Infact, I sometimes think I should just not weigh them and just observe and go by how they are looking health wise :laugh:

Good, still putting weight on. She's getting more from Ruby too. She was still quite constipated today and the warm water trick didn't work, and she was sooking and not settling on the boob well today so we popped her over to the vets, who gave her some electrolytes and something to relax her belly a little (I'm not sure what), and suggested upping the water in the supplement. The vet also gave her a thorough check and everything else is looking good. :)

Bummer about the consitpation, but glad to hear that she is coming along nicely :)