Loss Of Coat

bjazld

Hi guys, I know ive read and been told about bitches "blowing" their coat post whelp but i was wondering How bad can it get......my bitch is loosing hunks and chunks and will be bald if it continues :confused::cry:

she is short haired so seeing her bald skin patches is starting to scare me...

Is their anything i can do?

Last year my Cavalier bitch moulted to the point of having no featherings left on her tail, legs,cullottes or ruffle. I was amazed she actualy kept her ear feathering which is quite poor compared to her lush tail which lost all the long hairs to the point of looking like a pointers tail!

My other bitch whom I show has a fantastic coat so I did a bit of research and since the birth of her puppy three days ago I have been supplementing her diet with Royal Jelly which I hear helps the new coat come through quicker and can also slow down the moulting to a certain degree.

I have also purchased Royal Jelly shampoo which is also meant to assist in these things.

We shall see.

I don't think you are going to have any bald patches :eek: (least you shouldn't)as such but the coat will be very thin, expecially on a short haired dog. On my girl last year you could see spots on her skin that normally are not visible. She had a very easy low maintenence summer! :laugh:

Edited by LizT

My ACD pups are 11 1/2 weeks old, and Mum looks like a very poor example of a Whippet :eek:, (albeit a odd coloured one !!!) . Seriously she is attrocious. We have visitors tomorrow, (dog people), and she will be hiding from them !!! Skinny, no coat and a tuck up my Basenji's would be very proud of !!!

It will grow back ;) ...

Sunni is dropping coat as well she is almost 5 weeks post whelping Ive got a feeling she is going to look worse before she looks better although her coat is really shiney, I think all the nutrients are going to feeding the pups. All my dogs are shedding atm so Ive got so much red hair floating around. It just could be that time of the year.

Maybe take her to the vet just to be sure?

It's your worst scenario. just when you want your girl to look her very best. You have puppy buyers coming and you need for her to look the best and she has no coat, looks thin and just awful. Never mid I am sure you have photos of her looking her BEST.

My poms do a very very good example of a short coated chihuahua when they have had babies.... One girl I was worried was turning into a chinese crested hairless, and she got pretty close, but no bare skin. (just)

So sad to see them loose their beautiful coat, but it does grow back.. eventually....

I never agreed with *blowing their coat* i thought it was more of a nuclear holocaust survivor thing... They do look pretty darn sad...

My border bitch got to the point I could see skin through the bits that were left on her chest. Her paints and tail were non existent. At 3 or 4 months her daughter had more coat than her.

The pups are 6 months and finally I feel we are getting there. She really did look hideous for awhile there.

Nearly 8 week old pups here and mum looks like a mangy rug :)

With a short smooth haired dog, so long as the skin isn't scaly or red then it's quite likely the bald bits will fill in within a day or two. I wouldn't groom her too hard for a while, give the new hair a few days to come in before you get rid of the old coat too much. Obviously if she doesn't start filling in the bald bits within a few days then it could well be worth popping her along to the vet, but nine times out of ten they're fine.

i feel better now reading the above, not that its nice, as my girl too was in peak condition pre mating/whelp. she will bounce back though for sure....but im thinking it will take a few months.

she is booked in with the pups first vacc in 2 weeks so will definately get checked out then.

if i feel its worse though in the next few days i will definately take her sooner.

She does have new hairs coming through, but much less, I suppose though it will take a while to completely come through.

Yes her rear is the worst and tail, her head and chest are fine, unless thats next

ive always used alloveen shampoo. ive probably noticed it more the past 2 days as i bathed her.

I remember going to visit friends of my parents whose bitch had a litter of 7 week old GSD puppies when I was a child and meeting the mum.

I thought she was neglected :eek: .... I feel bad about my "Child Judgment" when I think back to my hostility and wish it had been explained to me as I remember feeling sorry for mum and being sad about it. She had no coat and was a waif compared to any GSD I'd seen before. She'd had 15 pups so you can imagine.

she hasnt dropped weight. she has gained 2kg lol, she is back to her ravenous state...i gently remind her of her food refusal/fussyness 6 weeks ago lol. Its alot for them to go through, i never realised the strain on them.

The puppies take everything off the poor mothers. She's going to look like she's been dragged through a hedge. It can take up to 6-12 months for a bitch to recover from a litter. She'll be fine

Slightly incorrect benshiva. The female body is designed to carry a pregnancy, give birth and feed the offspring.

In humans the hair grows luxuriously and falls out when the baby is around 4 months old, with some women they can be almost bald. They also lose weight around 6 months of age.

Given that dogs have a 9 week pregnancy and an 8 week feeding cycle, 5 weeks could equate to the hair loss age and weight loss of the pregnancy stored fat.

Both recover quickly with sound nutrition.

The puppies take everything off the poor mothers. She's going to look like she's been dragged through a hedge. It can take up to 6-12 months for a bitch to recover from a litter. She'll be fine

Slightly incorrect benshiva. The female body is designed to carry a pregnancy, give birth and feed the offspring.

In humans the hair grows luxuriously and falls out when the baby is around 4 months old, with some women they can be almost bald. They also lose weight around 6 months of age.

Given that dogs have a 9 week pregnancy and an 8 week feeding cycle, 5 weeks could equate to the hair loss age and weight loss of the pregnancy stored fat.

Both recover quickly with sound nutrition.

Yes I remember being in shock when my own beautiful long tresses began to come out in large numbers when my first born was a few months old. :eek:

I had long think hair back in those days.

I believe it seems so much worse in dogs because it is all "fast forwarded" in comparisson

My Lab bitch has nearly 9 week old pups and she looks like a patchwork quilt with almost bald patches all over her. I've started her on Megaderm to try to promote healthy hair growth. Here's hoping...