111 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feed your dog/s once or twice a day

• Once
    • Twice
    • Seasonal
    • My dog is still a growing puppy
    • Other

Guest english.ivy

Just curious as to how many times you feed your dog/s per day.

I have always been a twice a day feeder. With the odd special treat in the afternoon.

If they get bones in the afternoon, then they get less for dinner. I think my two love the routine of meal times, they always know if it's past their normal feeding time.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

normally once a day with our adults but with puppies and mum the adults are getting twice a day whilst ive been cutting back my bitches food and she is down to twice a day. hopefully back to once a day in the next few weeks. although now they all expect it in the mornings....its strange though as my other 2 adults have definately been having extra food the past 6 weeks but they havent gained weight which is good.

Both dogs are fed twice a day. In the mornings before breakfast, we take them for a walk & do some agility training, then they run straight back up to the house & wait eagerly for their turkey neck. At night they get their kibble about 1/2 hour before bed, then they get another 1/2 dozen bits of kibble when they get into their beds. They are real stickers for routine :)

Most of my adults are fed once a day at night but they also have a bone, beef, lamb or chicken frame every afternoon. I also have a 5 year old female that I can't keep weight on unless she is fed morning & night and 6 month old pup who is fed twice a day with a bone in the afternoon.

Once a day for "formal meals" but they may well get a pigs ear one day, a chicken wing or some chicken necks the next day, or a meaty bone in addition to the daily meal.

Meals are just to vocal with Cavaliers to have to put up with all the carolling TWICE a day. :laugh:

I also only feed my cats once a day in the evening, in ensures they are around then to be penned because they are looking forward to it.

Edited by LizT

There is no routine in this house as such - done deliberately as I do not want a dog which hassles me when it thinks it should be fed.

Breakfast goes into the bowl before I leave for work and gets eaten during the day. If he's had a big run before work then he does not get breakfast left.

Dinner - its when I feed it to him. If there is still food in his bowl I don't feed him but if he eats that in the evening I will add some more at bedtime. Other times he gets fed when I get home or later in the evening and other times he does not get fed at all as he does not need 2 meals a day every day of the week.

There is no routine in this house as such - done deliberately as I do not want a dog which hassles me when it thinks it should be fed.

Breakfast goes into the bowl before I leave for work and gets eaten during the day. If he's had a big run before work then he does not get breakfast left.

Dinner - its when I feed it to him. If there is still food in his bowl I don't feed him but if he eats that in the evening I will add some more at bedtime. Other times he gets fed when I get home or later in the evening and other times he does not get fed at all as he does not need 2 meals a day every day of the week.

This is very similar to me.

My bosses have a dog who is in the office all day and 5pm on the dot he knows it's dinner time and starts whining - if they are busy sometimes they will be in the office an extra half hour or more and he whines the whole time - it really irritates me and I deliberately keep my dogs guessing about dinner so they don't develop this habit.

We also go to training two nights a week so they don't get dinner as such - they get treats for working

Merlin and Dexter share a chicken neck in the morning, sometimes I leave a treat when i go to work and they have a small evening meal. Sage has a whole chicken neck, followed by a frozen bone every morning and then an evening meal as well

Guest donatella

I leave black hawk out all day and she's been loving her chicken wings. Is 1 a day too many for a 7 month old Pom?

Twice daily here. Giant breed so prefer two smaller meals.

Feeding is pretty much done at the same time every day. We're in a routine but that works for Orbee. He doesn't stress if the routine changes - will stare at me for a bit trying desperately hard to tell me he's hungry, but then he'll go to bed and wait.