Your Top 3 Breeds From Each Group

whitka

I can't believe the amount of people that have over looked pugs in the toy category lol

I guess you can tell when someone hasn't owned one :)

There are heaps of people here who could say the same about their own chosen breed, everybody thinks their own breed is the best and that anybody who doesn't like them mustn't know them. Sorry but not so. People just like what they like :shrug:

Yeah I agree - for example I like dogs on the lean tall pointy short coated side and my lists reflect that, with a few fluffy exceptions. I don't like braccy breeds (the noises freak me out :o among other things, just not suitable for what I do with my dogs) but I understand that other people can't get enough of them.

There are lots of people who can't even name one terrier that they like but it doesn't bother me, I understand they are not for everyone.

It would be boring if everybody liked the same thing, particularly with dog breeds where there are so many different types.

I'm one of the people who really struggled to put terriers on my list :o Come to think of it, every group was hard but group 3! But I think I only counted like 2 others apart from me who like Labs and it's no big deal laugh.gif

Me too :laugh: I really did try and find three breeds in each group that I particularly like, but realistically I'd probably only be interested in about 5 or 6 breeds that I listed

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Group 1

Tibetan Spaniel

Affy

Group 2

West Highland White

Scotty

Group 3

Italian Spinone

Toller

Group 4

Wolfy

Group 5

Border Collie

Aussie Shepherd

Maremma

Group 6

CAS

CAS

CAS

Akita

Shiba Inu

Group 7

Shar Pei

Boston Terrier

efs

Edited by bertie

Very interesting to see which breeds people like :)

Toys

1. Chinese Crested

2. Griffon Bruxellois

3. CKCS

Terriers

1. Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

2. Norfolk Terrier

3. Scottish Terrier

Gundogs

1. Golden Retriever

2. Gordon Setter :heart:

3. Cocker Spaniel

Hounds

1. Borzoi

2. Saluki

3. Irish Wolfhound

Working

1. Maremma Sheepdog

2. Briard

3. Border Collie

Utility

1. Leonberger :love:

2. Bernese Mountain Dog

3. Pyrenean Mountain Dog

Non sporting

1. Standard Poodle

2. Great Dane

3. French Bulldog

Here goes, in no real particular order...

Toys:

Japanese Chin

Chi (smooth coat)

Pekingese

Terriers:

Lakeland

Fox Terrier (Smooth)

Jack Russell (broken coat)

(I also have a big soft spot for Dandie Dinmonts - those eyes!!! :love:)

Gundogs:

Am Cocker

Gordon Setter

German Wirehaired Pointer

(and The Moo!! :p )

Hounds:

Whippet (duh!)

Pharoah Hound

PBGV

(oh, and Elkhounds, Saluki & Borzoi - this group is reaaaaally hard to limit to 3 :o)

Working:

Border Collie

Kelpie (especially Black ones :love:)

Bouvier

Utility:

Dogue De Bordeaux

Boxer

Shiba

(Giant Schnauzer, Leonberger, Dobermanns also rate a mention :D)

Non-Sporting:

Chow

Toy Poodle

Tibetan Terrier

I like lots of breeds but not to own. If I had to choose breeds I would own or consider owning then the list would be:

Toys

IG

ETT

Chinese crested

Terriers

none

Gundogs

Golden retriever

Curly coat

Hounds

saluki

dachshund mini long haired

greyhound

Working dogs

Kelpie

Aussie shepherd

Utility

boxer

bullmastiff

Non sporting

boston

Poodle (as a pet only)

I can't believe the amount of people that have over looked pugs in the toy category lol

I guess you can tell when someone hasn't owned one :)

There are heaps of people here who could say the same about their own chosen breed, everybody thinks their own breed is the best and that anybody who doesn't like them mustn't know them. Sorry but not so. People just like what they like :shrug:

Yeah I agree - for example I like dogs on the lean tall pointy short coated side and my lists reflect that, with a few fluffy exceptions. I don't like braccy breeds (the noises freak me out :o among other things, just not suitable for what I do with my dogs) but I understand that other people can't get enough of them.

There are lots of people who can't even name one terrier that they like but it doesn't bother me, I understand they are not for everyone.

It would be boring if everybody liked the same thing, particularly with dog breeds where there are so many different types.

I'm one of the people who really struggled to put terriers on my list :o Come to think of it, every group was hard but group 3! But I think I only counted like 2 others apart from me who like Labs and it's no big deal laugh.gif

Gotta say though, schnauzers would never have made my utility list until my parent's new addition came along. They are full of spunk! Probably wouldn't own one myself (like the majority of the dogs on my list) but they sure are fun to train!

I never thought much of little fluffys until my mum's little guy, hes such fun dog do things with.

It's a very long thread so its not going to happen now, but I'm curious to know what makes people pick the dogs they pick. Is it the look, temperament (if they have met any) or the aptitude for what they have been bred to do (including keeping peoples knees warm).

My picks in order are below and for Group 5 & 6 its a merge of all of the above, but mostly their ability to do the job they were developed for (of course its my personal view, based on dogs I personally know) AND if I would ever consider owning one myself. I can't judge much for the other groups.

GROUP 1, TOYS - Papillion, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (sorry, I've run out of selections)

GROUP 2, TERRIERS - Border Terrier, Parson Russell Terrier, Jack Russell Terrier

GROUP 3, GUN DOGS - Welsh Springer Spaniel, Labrador, Hungarian Vizsla

GROUP 4, HOUNDS - Whippet, Greyhound, Borzoi (can I sneak a Irish Wolfie and a Deerhound in here too?)

GROUP 5, WORKING DOGS - Collie Smooth of course!, Border Collie (but of Working blood lines, so that may not count), Cardigan Corgi

GROUP 6, UTILITY - Rottweiler, Dobermann, Akita

GROUP 7, NON SPORTING - Std Poodle, Min Poodle, Dalmatian (Love admiring the Danes, but probably wouldn't consider ever owning one.)

Btw when are they going to add the Std Poodle to the ANKC Herding List so I can add them to my list of future dogs.... :laugh:

Edited by SmoothieGirl

To answer Smoothiegirl:

Toys (a group I struggle with):

Tibetan Spaniel - I've spent quite a bit of time with Tibbiemax's Tibbies and they're cool

Griffon - Met a few - fabulous confident little personalities

??

Terriers:

Jack Russell Terrier - own a 12 year old - he rocks

Border Terrier - think they look nice and they're supposed to be not quite so terrier-like

Cairn Terrier - love Missymoo's that I've met - again fabulous temperaments

Gundogs:

Pointer - I'm not a big gun-dog person but these guys seem to be really cool and they're very attractive

Irish Setter - LOVE these dogs, the look, the personality, the colour - awesome!

Hungarian Wire Haired Vizsla - they look like giant Fauves :laugh:

Hounds (could easily list 10):

Basset Fauve De Bretagne - my breed, do I need to say more?

Greyhound - I've owned & rescued a number and they're lovely

Deerhound - I put this in more for my OH who loves his Deerhound. I could list many, many breeds in the Hound Group, I'm a Hound Group girl.

Working (another group I struggle with):

Welsh Cardigan Corgi - Lara the gorgeous blue merle girl shown around here - fantastic temperament, gorgeous look, just love her

Australian Kelpie - I've rescued heaps and they're amazing

???

Utility (going purely on looks - don't know enough about temps etc):

Bernese Mountain Dog - They look nice

Portuguese Water Dog - love the feel of their coats

?????

Non Sporting:

Can't think of any - sorry - since posting this I have thought of Tibetan Terrier, they seem really cool.

Edited by Trisven13

Ive never actaully chosen any of my dogs. Dont know what ill be like when I actually get the chance to choose my own :laugh:

I choose my breeds becuase I eaither really want one or just really like them.

Edited by whitka

Btw when are they going to add the Std Poodle to the ANKC Herding List so I can add them to my list of future dogs.... :laugh:

At the same time, can they move Aussie Shepherds to group 3 so I can do retrieving with one please? laugh.gif

Sure, but if you get one like mine, I hope you wouldn't expect her to actually retrieve something? She doesn't have a retrieving bone in her body :rofl: (she's more chase, pounce, OOH BUTTERFLY, leave item on ground 20m away from mum).

This was a tough challenge. I better cover myself by saying I don’t dislike any breeds or groups in particular, I had to make choices the topic told me too :scared: . Reading through everyone else’s lists it’s awesome to see so many different breeds popping up, I’m glad we don’t all have the same tastes or life would be pretty boring.

Group 1 (I wouldn’t own one at this stage of my life (I love my biggies), but I can’t help but have a soft spot for the little guys, I had a Chi x as a kid)

Miniature Pinscher

Chihuahua (Long Coat)

Pomeranian

Group 2 (Hard to get it down to just three, I’d happily own any one of these guys. I love a terrier :heart: .)

Irish Terrier

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Group 3 (This one was tough I’m not overly familiar with the gundogs, oh I’ve chosen half of Europe ;) )

German Wirehaired Pointer

Italian Spinone

Hungarian Vizsla

Group 4 (Hounds have never appealed to me, though I have meet some lovely ones in more recent years. I had a theory that you were either a terrier or hound person, not sure if this holds up IRL.)

Irish Wolfhound

Greyhound

Saluki

Group 5 (Is there anything better than a well trained working dog. My sister is going to kill me for leaving Border Collies out though.)

Polish Lowland Sheepdog ( :crossfingers: )

Briard

Australian Kelpie

Group 6 (Best group, not that I’m bias :rasberry: )

Russian Black Terrier

Dobermann

Schauzer (Giant)

Group 7 (Such a diverse group this one was hard for me too)

Great Dane

Poodle (Standard)

Tibetan Terrier

At the same time, can they move Aussie Shepherds to group 3 so I can do retrieving with one please? laugh.gif

Sure, but if you get one like mine, I hope you wouldn't expect her to actually retrieve something? She doesn't have a retrieving bone in her body :rofl: (she's more chase, pounce, OOH BUTTERFLY, leave item on ground 20m away from mum).

I was hoping for more than just a group name move, but actually magically making them be more like gundogs :laugh: I'm a gundog girl through and through, but so want an Aussie, too! Their only downside in my eyes is they aren't a gundog rofl1.gif

Poo-Fong, Banjo said if you like black Kelpies you should come and get some Kelpie kisses at a show one day soon :D

Tell Banjo I'll take him up on that!!! Many moons ago I had a Kelpie "visitor" for a few months to show, he was an absolute delight to have around and I loved showing him! He was the other boring colour though ;) :rofl:

It's a very long thread so its not going to happen now, but I'm curious to know what makes people pick the dogs they pick. Is it the look, temperament (if they have met any) or the aptitude for what they have been bred to do (including keeping peoples knees warm).

In looks, my preference is for dogs with a pointy nose (so not brachys), pricked ears and a medium coat. What some people call a very 'doggy' dog :laugh:

I temperament I like a dog that is active, intelligent, preferably bred for a sporting purpose. In terriers I like 'scrappers' (bold, feisty dogs) I did struggle in a couple of categories, some are there purely because I know a really nice example of the breed ;)

(recap of my picks - I'd probably add tollers too now that I think about it more):

Toys - Min pin, Italian greyhound

Terriers - Border, Cairn, Manchester

Gundogs - English Springer Spaniel, Viszla, Brittany

Hounds - Pharoah hound, Whippet, Deerhound

Working - i would happily adopt most of them! :laugh: But: Kelpie, Border collie, Aussie

Utility - Husky, Malamute, Doberman

Non Sporting - Canaan, Schipperke

Weasels, in appearance I have the same preference - natural dog appearance :laugh: and also prefer a sporting temp and I prefer a short coat, though there is one brachy in my picks and a few longhairs, some categories were hard, and some I picked I wouldn't own, just my preference in that group.

Edited by Kavik