Your Top 3 Breeds From Each Group

whitka

I picked my breeds based on both breeds I might own one day and breeds I admire from a distance.

Toys: - I would own a Pap but probably none of the rest, I can see OH with a Pug or Cav though

Pap

Griffon

Cav or Pug or Pom - I can't decide

Terriers: would/already own these breeds, plus we own a Border Terrier and there are several other terriers I would happily bring home :)

Irish :heart:

SCWT

Bull Terriers

Gundogs: love these breeds but probably wouldn't own them

Tollers

Pointer

Italian Spinone

Hounds: I love hounds, especially sight hounds but I don't know if I will ever get a chance to own one

Borzoi

Wolfies

Basset Fauve de Bretagne

Working Dogs: would happily own any of these breeds, and numerous other working dogs

Australian Shepherd :heart:

Finnish Lapphund

Rough Collies

Border Collies

Utility: not breeds I can see myself owning but gorgeous dogs

Samoyed

Newfies

Giant Schnauzer

Non-Sporting:not breeds I can see myself owning but gorgeous dogs

Frenchies

Standard Poodle

Shar Pei

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toys:

Papillon

shitzu

chihuahua

Terriers:

Jack Russell

Pitbulls

Border Terriers

Gundogs:

Chesapeake bay

Curly Coated

Flat Coated

Hounds:

Greyhound

Wolfhound

Whippet

Working:

Kelpie (WKC)

Smithfield

Cattle dogs

Utility:

Saint Bernard

Newfies

Burnese Mountain

Non Sporting:

Dalmatian

Shiba Inu

Boston terrier

And adding another one cause I'm a farmer

Pastoral:

Maremma

Tibetan Mastiff

Great Pyrenees

Nevafollo i've never really considered Pointers but seeing your girl Kite has converted me into a Pointer lover :love:

Kite was my first ever pointer and has me hooked, she wins over everyone she meets. There's no pointer quite like her in temperment she is THE best! My boy Konrad does come very close thou! I have my first litter one the ground, out of Kite and I am very excited that she will hopefully pass her temperment on to her bubs and other people will be as luck as I am to have abit of Kitey in their lives :)

It's a very long thread so its not going to happen now, but I'm curious to know what makes people pick the dogs they pick. Is it the look, temperament (if they have met any) or the aptitude for what they have been bred to do (including keeping peoples knees warm).

I would actually consider owning any of the dogs on my extensive list, although further research might eliminate some, and although I've met most, I haven't met all of them yet.

My criteria:

Temperament/exercise needs - I'm fairly flexible and can adapt to a dog's needs to a certain extent. Kuges was a couch potato and perfect for me, Ella is a lot more active and feisty and although on paper she and I don't fit as well I'm getting a lot out of having her as it motivates me, so I would have either or both in the future.

Easy care coat - I'm not a big one for spending hours grooming, I'd rather be playing with the dog. This is why there are very few spitz type or long haired/fluffy dogs in my list.

Soft feel to the coat - I like a dog with fur that feels nice to stroke. Wire haired dogs and scruffers I don't want to pat so wouldn't want to own.

Looks - I prefer folded/floppy ears but it's not a deal breaker. Not too fine, not too chunky, not too brachy, not too pointy (I'm SO Goldilocks right now :laugh: )

(although there are some exceptions to each of the above just because I like the dog too much to eliminate just for one reason)

Aptitude - is fairly irrelevant to me, I'm not going to go boar hunting but the Great Dane makes my heart sing. My dane will be a companion and couch hog unless it excels at obedience. If I get a working/gundog I'll pursue the obedience angle and maybe get into agility depending on the dog.

Realistically, I can see me with a dane and a lab (partner's first choice) and possibly only two or three of the others at some stage in my life, and will probably get a greyhound when I'm older and a bit too frail to handle danes anymore ;)

Refresher (I've cut a few out to more realistically represent what I'd actually consider owning)

Gundogs: Irish Setter, Gordon Setter, Weimaraner, GSP (solid colour), Labrador, Toller, Hungarian Vizsla

Hounds: Deerhound, Irish wolfhound, Borzoi, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Greyhound, Saluki

Working: Australian Kelpie, GSD, Australian Shepherd, Finnish Lapphund

Utility: Rottweiler, Dobermann, Bernese Mountain Dog, Neapolitan Mastiff, Akita, Bullmastiff

Non-Sporting: Great Dane

Group 1

Pug, Iggy or min pin

Group 2 (not a real terrier person)

Airedale, Scotty or Bedlington

Group 3

Setters, English, Gordon and Irish

Group 4 (I like hounds so hard to chose just 3 never have owned on but on my list of one day)

Irishwolf, Bloodhound, Borzoi, grey, basset

Group 5 (again not really my thing)

Komondor, Collie rough and OES

Group 6

Bullmastiff (of course)

Saints and either Kangal or Anatolian

Group 7

British Bull Dog

Great Dane

Shar pei

Btw when are they going to add the Std Poodle to the ANKC Herding List so I can add them to my list of future dogs.... :laugh:

At the same time, can they move Aussie Shepherds to group 3 so I can do retrieving with one please? laugh.gif

You make me laugh.

Apparently there is a small push to add Std Poos to the herding list (not Grp 5 though) as they were all round farm and family dogs. Sounds like you'll have to start your own revolution with the Aussies :laugh:

Thanks for the feedback everyone, its interesting to get that insight. I'm considering (distant future) a foray into another breed, probably after another Collie S though. My challenge is picking the other breed, I have a front runner, but then I keep thinking....'what if'''.

SmoothieGirl.....I will influence your decision :laugh: I'm looking into performance dogs in the US. Found a really nice one with Advanced titles on ducks, sheep and cattle and his UD, CGC and is a therapy dog. I will be sending you down a Tess pup in 2014 ;)

Toys

1. Papillon

2. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

3. Not sure. Probably Pug.

Terriers (not really a terrier person)

1. Soft Coated Wheaten

2. Bull Terrier

3. Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Gundogs

1. Irish Water Spaniel

2. Bracco Italiano

3. Italian Spinone

Hounds (I have trouble choosing a shortlist in this group)

1. Irish Wolfhound

2. Saluki and Borzoi (equal second)

3. Bloodhound

Working Dogs (another hard group to choose)

1. Polish Lowland Sheepdog

2. Maremma, Kuvasz & Komondor

2. Briard & Bergamasco

Utility (I could choose lots here)

1. Pyrenean Mountain Dog (100% the ultimate number one of course :thumbsup: )

2. Leonberger (this is probably my closest to second overall)

3. Anatolian Shepherd dog and Bernese Mountain Dog

Non Sporting

1. Dalmatian

2. Great Dane

3. Poodle (Toy)

Edited by espinay2

Group 1 (Toys)

1) Italian Greyhound

2) Miniature Pinscher

3) Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Group 2 (Terriers)

1) Bedlington Terrier

2) Fox Terrier (Wire)

3) Kerry Blue Terrier

Group 3 (Gundogs)

1) GSP

2) Irish Water Spaniel

3) Pointer

Group 4 (Hounds)

1) Foxhound

2) Pharaoh Hound

3) Bloodhound

Group 5 (Working Dogs)

1) Belgian Shepherd (all varieties)

2) Australian Kelpie

3) Dutch Shepherd

Group 6 (Utility)

1) Schnauzer (Miniature)

2) Dobermann

3) Portugese Water Dog

Group 7 (Non Sporting)

1) Schipperke

2) Dalmatian

3) Poodle (Standard)

Edited by kosmology

Toy

- English Toy Terrier (Black & Tan)

- Italian Greyhound

- Miniature Pinscher

Terrier

- Manchester Terrier

- American Staffordshire Terrier

- Irish Terrier

Gundogs

- Cocker Spaniel

- Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

- Brittany

Hound

- Saluki

- Whippet

- Greyhound

Working

- Belgian Shepherd (Malinois)

- Border Collie

- Collie (rough)

Utility

- Doberman

- Bullmastiff

- Schnauzer (giant)

Non sporting

- Poodle (all 3)

- Dalmatian

- French Bulldog

Btw when are they going to add the Std Poodle to the ANKC Herding List so I can add them to my list of future dogs.... :laugh:

At the same time, can they move Aussie Shepherds to group 3 so I can do retrieving with one please? laugh.gif

You make me laugh.

Apparently there is a small push to add Std Poos to the herding list (not Grp 5 though) as they were all round farm and family dogs. Sounds like you'll have to start your own revolution with the Aussies :laugh:

Thanks for the feedback everyone, its interesting to get that insight. I'm considering (distant future) a foray into another breed, probably after another Collie S though. My challenge is picking the other breed, I have a front runner, but then I keep thinking....'what if'''.

Interesting, I thought that the argument lay with poodles being put into Group 3!

Group 1:

Pap

CKCS

Group 2:

Irish

Airedale

Group 3:

Large Munsterlander

English Setter

Group 4:

Saluki

Group 5:

Aussie Shepherd

Polish Lowland Sheppdog

Collie Rough

Group 6:

Shiba Inu

Giant Schnauzer

Russian Black Terrier

Group 7:

Keeshond

Schipperke

Some of my choices I have owned and shown and others I've shown for others. I do love grooming so the long coats are fine. Can't move some breeds now so have to stick to the littlies.

Gp 1.

Min Pin. --- Owned and shown for about 35 years.

Aust. Silky---- Owned and shown

Peke ----- Shown for a friend

Gp 2

Border Terrier ---- Owned and shown - Love the true temperament of the Borders.

Ditto

Ditto

Gp 3

Gordon Setter ---- - Owned and shown.

English Setter ---- Like these

Cocker Spaniel ------ Owned and shown

Gp 4

Afghan ------ Owned and shown for about 15 years

Whippet ------ Owned and shown

Deerhound ------ Shown for a friend

Gp 5

Rough Collie ----- My first venture into the show ring - over 50 years ago

Border Collie ------ Just like these.

Aust. Cattle Dog ----- Shown for a friend

Gp 6

Bernese ----- Like this breed's looks

Samoyed ------ Friend had these and I liked their temperament (and coat)

Malamute ----- Nearly bought one!

Gp 7

Keeshond ------- Admire a good one with 'specs.

German Spitz ------ Friend has these, nice little breed

Chow Chow ------ Show friend had these, look great but not sure if I could handle the temperament.

These are breeds I admire, don't know if I'd want to own them all, anyway would need younger legs to keep up with most, guess I'd better stick to the Toys.

Edited by pebbles

Group1:

Pom,papillon ( don't really like toy breeds )

Group2:

Jack russel, fox terrier

Group3:

English springer spaniel, English cocker spaniel, Irish setter, English setter( I could keep going)

Group4:

Beagle, irish wolfhound, borzoi

Group5:

German Shepard, shetland sheep dog, border collie.

Group6:

Samoyed, Alaskan malamute,Siberian huskie.

Group7:

Standard poodle, great Dane, keeshond

Group 1

Tibetan Spaniel

CKCS

Havanese, at a stretch.

Group 2

West Highland

Wheaten

I can't pick a third - I don't like terrier breeds!

Group 3

Brittany

Lagotto

Cocker spaniel

Group 4

Hamiltonstovare

Beagle

Can't pick a third - not a fan of the hounds either.

Group 5 (MUCH easier group)

Finnish Lapphund

Australian Shepherd

Maremma

Group 6

Alaskan Malamute

Samoyed

Pyrenean Mountain Dog

Group 7

Japanese Spitz

Keeshond

Shar pei

There are very few of these breeds I would actually own though. Lappie for sure, the Samoyed and the Keeshond. And the tibbie as my old persons breed lol.

I didn't nominate breeds as there are too many, but in general I seem to like wolfy or foxy looking dogs, elegant leggy dogs, and the lighter molosser breeds. I prefer a bit of size, wouldn't go for a dog that looks breakable, a silky or very long coat, long floppy ears, or extreme features like very short legs, very short face, very loose skin, no hair or very heavy. I also don't like round poppy eyes, and I am not a big fan of the stereotypical terrier temperament in a small dog, even though I've met many many individual terriers that I like. I like bull breeds but only when brachy is not so extreme that breathing is noticeably affected, so I rather like pugs, bulldogs and frenchies but would only ever own a boxer or maybe a bullmastiff. I guess if I did a list it would include:

Group 1: if for some reason I couldn't have a cat, maybe a Pom.

Group 2: staffie or Amstaff, Kerry Blue, Airedale, Wheaten, Irish

Group 3: the smooth coated breeds - pointers, GSHP's, Vizlas, Weims

Group 4: most of the sighthounds (apart from Afghans), Ridgebacks, Elkhounds

Group 5: Lappies (of course!), Aussies, WSSD's, Belgians (particularly Malinois but I like all of them), working line GSD's, Collie Smooth, Maremmas, maybe Vallhunds and Shelties if I were downsizing. I include working line GSD's because I have loved the breed for years, but prefer the squarer shape. A working line temperament would be too much for me, I think!

Group 6: Akitas, Rotties, Boxers, Sammies, Dobes, Shibas, Schnauzers of all sizes, particularly the larger two. I adore Sibes and Malamutes, but they wouldn't suit me to live with.

Group 7: I'd love a Eurasier! Chows, Keeshonden, Standard Poodles. I love Great Danes but they're too big for me.