Previcox

Daxilly

HI,

My ACD injured her rear leg and the Vet has prescribed Previcox 227. She is taking half a tablet and the vet said to administer it for as long as needed.

My question is how long is that? We are on day two and she is alot better. The problem is how do I know if the NSAID is just masking the pain and as soon as I stop she will be in pain again. If she continues to improve as much as she has I wouldn't be giving her any more as I am aware of the side effects of these type of drugs. However, two days, to me, doesn't seem long enough or am I wrong? (I haven't used this drug before)

Thanks

In my experience just remember that any anti-inflam/pain relief is only doing exactly what you have recognised..."masking up the problem". The drug is not fixing the cause of the problem in any way. If your dog was lame I would see an animal chiropractor to ensure your dog is in alignment and pinched nerves are released, pain will instantly be removed and movement can return to normal due to your dog not experiencing pain with normal movement. The drugs will not be needed then. Best of luck, the hardest thing is finding a good reputable/experienced animal chiropractor!

HI,

My ACD injured her rear leg and the Vet has prescribed Previcox 227. She is taking half a tablet and the vet said to administer it for as long as needed.

My question is how long is that? We are on day two and she is alot better. The problem is how do I know if the NSAID is just masking the pain and as soon as I stop she will be in pain again. If she continues to improve as much as she has I wouldn't be giving her any more as I am aware of the side effects of these type of drugs. However, two days, to me, doesn't seem long enough or am I wrong? (I haven't used this drug before)

Thanks

I suggest you give your vet a ring and ask him/her.....but I would think you might need to give more than two days' worth :) How many tablets did your vet give you?

i agree, it definately masks pain and the problem. I wouldnt be giving anymore than 5 days worth then see if the injury has settled down completely....if the injury is still their...lameness etc the previcox was only masking the problem (and providing pain relief to yr dog)

I would also be taking the dog to a chiro for an assessment regardless if the dog appears fine. but If the problem doesnt resolve I would seek a 2nd opinion from a diff vet.

goodluck!

My Vet gave us 10 days worth (5 tablets), but said I don't need to use them all.

This came on very suddenly so I am hoping that it will pass with rest. Thankfully the weather is bad so it makes it easier for her to stay inside.

A relative is a dog chiro (horses too), so I may need to invite her around for "lunch". :D

I will continue until the weekend and then see how the injury goes.

Thanks

I would also be taking the dog to a chiro for an assessment regardless if the dog appears fine. but If the problem doesnt resolve I would seek a 2nd opinion from a diff vet.

goodluck!

How about: return to your Vet and talk to them about working it up further. :)

The OP's Vet has prescribed the right therapy for an acutely injured leg where the injury is not obvious i.e. a cruciate tear, luxating patella or fracture. It's a first line therapy, then you can go further if needed with the original Vet. :)

[

How about: return to your Vet and talk to them about working it up further. :)

The OP's Vet has prescribed the right therapy for an acutely injured leg where the injury is not obvious i.e. a cruciate tear, luxating patella or fracture. It's a first line therapy, then you can go further if needed with the original Vet. :)

This is right. We had an emergency callout to our vet as we had no idea what had happened. We had just dealt with a potential snake bite and were just getting over that when this happened. Thankfully she didn't get bitten but we were a bit anxious when she refused to walk.

I will give her a bit more time to heal using the Previcox and then see if this problem returns.

PS Just out of interest to all an ACD can have a face off with a black snake and not get bitten, I am absolutely amazed as I caught her, and both snake and dog were having a go. Thankfully, it only cost us $250 instead of $1000 for the anti venom plus fees/hospitalisation. What with the callout on Sunday night for the leg injury it has cost us $500 in vet fees in 5 days.