Scruffer/lurcher/stag Etc

:thumbsup: No worries Purdie, I'd not heard of them and was just concerned as the website looked like hunting for sale site.

It breaks my heart to see how many wolfhound, deerhounds, greyhounds ect are being Xbred & peddled :(

fifi

I know, so sad :( I used to be a member of a couple of other big scruffer type groups on facebook but the sheer stupidity of alot of the members was enough to make me leave, I didn't realise such dumb bogan shits actually existed? :mad

So many people who were so misinformed. Hence why I started the 'Scruffer Lovers' page as somewhere positive for people to share etc.

I didn't realise such dumb bogan shits actually existed?

Oh we have so many of them here! Nearly half the dogs in this town are Stag or stag crosses, the sheer amount of bogans is enough to make you shudder... I don't want to pigeonhole pig hunters but... :)

Oh we have so many of them here! Nearly half the dogs in this town are Stag or stag crosses, the sheer amount of bogans is enough to make you shudder... I don't want to pigeonhole pig hunters but... :)

mmm, we don't get the 'stag' types down here but I have seen plenty of them in NSW my own 2 were adopted from Wagga & I have rescued many from around that area. What I find scarey is that those people actually produce offspring too! :eek: ;)

mmm, we don't get the 'stag' types down here but I have seen plenty of them in NSW my own 2 were adopted from Wagga & I have rescued many from around that area. What I find scarey is that those people actually produce offspring too! :eek: ;)

It is a very unsettling reality...

I love big scruffers too.My dear Pippa darling girl was a Wolfhound x Bullterrier .We adopted her from animal aid when she was 10 months old.She was with us for 10 years.

I love sighthounds especially wolfhounds.

Got side tracked ,Posted to say;There are a couple of Staghound crosses at Animal aid in Coldstream Victoria .

Edited by Purdie

Gotta love the lurchers. I do hate how many are doomed to redneck lifestyles or dumped at pounds though.

Just one reason why those of us that breed these big hounds are very careful where they go. I've seen borzoi crosses amongst lurcher types that end up in rescue, and the boy from West Wyalong has a very saluki look about him.

If any folk in rescue ever spot purebreds of these sighthounds being given away etc on sites like Gumtree - let me know. We have a little breeder network and can normally get them into care and desexed quicksmart - which saves them a life on a chain churning out hunting pups...

Gotta love the lurchers. I do hate how many are doomed to redneck lifestyles or dumped at pounds though.

Just one reason why those of us that breed these big hounds are very careful where they go. I've seen borzoi crosses amongst lurcher types that end up in rescue, and the boy from West Wyalong has a very saluki look about him.

If any folk in rescue ever spot purebreds of these sighthounds being given away etc on sites like Gumtree - let me know. We have a little breeder network and can normally get them into care and desexed quicksmart - which saves them a life on a chain churning out hunting pups...

Will also keep an eye out.

Edited by Purdie

:( Poor bloody greys. The rough end of the stick is certainly theirs.

We have even had a purebred borzoi come through rescue this year - who was a giveaway, female, and not desexed... :mad It was so easy to imagine her in a pigdog breeders backyard...

She is now desexed and in an awesome permanent home. Not to mention the others this year has brought into rescue, afghans, pharaohs, salukis... Phew! :(

• 1 month later...

Picking up this thread late, sorry folks. Thanks for your advice and help. Will let you know what he decides on.

Agree with Alyosha about rescue and the informal sighthound network, I have an alert in on NSW Gumtree for Afghans and Salukis, but if anyone spots pure bred entire sighthounds elsewhere let us know - we tend to refer to each other depending on each other's breed expertise. Dogmad, I hadn't thought of trading post, wow, that is a depressing place.

I think last year the informal sighthound rescue network in NSW took at least 10 entire dogs out of the backyard breeding pool including Afghans, Borzoi, Pharaohs and Salukis. Unfortunately there is an never ending supply of inappropriate homes and breeders willing to sell to them.

Picking up this thread late, sorry folks. Thanks for your advice and help. Will let you know what he decides on.

Agree with Alyosha about rescue and the informal sighthound network, I have an alert in on NSW Gumtree for Afghans and Salukis, but if anyone spots pure bred entire sighthounds elsewhere let us know - we tend to refer to each other depending on each other's breed expertise. Dogmad, I hadn't thought of trading post, wow, that is a depressing place.

I think last year the informal sighthound rescue network in NSW took at least 10 entire dogs out of the backyard breeding pool including Afghans, Borzoi, Pharaohs and Salukis. Unfortunately there is an never ending supply of inappropriate homes and breeders willing to sell to them.

Yep, I used to be on a few of the stag pages & noticed some Ibizan x's etc. The bogan-ness is what got to me in the end, which is why I started up my own page, I don't care if only a few people like it, it's just something I wanted to do :)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Scruffer-Lovers/133033863464795