Dog Ate 1.5kg Of Food

Hey guys. My husky got into a bag of puppy Royal Canin kibble today and has eaten about half a bag. My OH just rang me and said that she just wants water and her belly is huge. I've told him to only give her small amounts of water cos it'll cause the kibble to swell. He said she doesn't seem to be in pain. I've told him to keep an eye on her and if she appears in pain to get her to the vet. Apparently she's thrown up a bit of food and water. Anything else we should watch out for?

This was a chicken based kibble and shes intolerant to chicken so I'm expecting lots of runs over the next few days!

I would have said she's ok to watch closely. Yes, dry food does swell up with liquid, but it just turns into very soft mash, so it's not going to put a huge amount of pressure on the stomach.

We don't usually recommend inducing vomiting in these instances, as trying to force a massive amount of food out a small hole of the stomach at once might do more harm than good.

I've had one of my boys do this before, actually a number of the sibes. Apart from a huge belly - and these sad eyes telling you how very sorry they feel for themselves, they should be fine.

I wouldn't feed your girl for at least a day - let the belly go down and the food digest, and you should be right.

Just keep an eye on her in case of bloat.

this has happened to me also with one of my dogs, will never forget it as it happened on a sunday, i was booked to work (sunday rates) and she got into the buscuit bin, she then swallowed about a gallon of water, thats what drew my attention, constant ongoing drinking. Anyhow i rushed her to the vet as her stomach was so bloated and i thought it was going to explode. they xrayed her and gave her some med's. one to help pass the food and some sedation. all up cost me hundreds! and my loss of a sunday shift, she was fine within 24 hours thank god. learnt my lesson though with food in containers on the floor! never again, it gets stored in the garage!

Thanks guys, she's fine. Huge belly, but she had a spew and a poo and she's quite happy now. So happy in fact that she was very insistent that she get some of our dinner! LOL. Bloody Sibe, she got on top of the washing machine to get the food then shared some with the Lappie (who looked full but nowhere near as much!) Lesson learnt, even high cupboards aren't safe from sneaky Sibes!