Risk Of Salmonella On Dried Dog Chews

Stitch

Guest lavendergirl

Its feasible. The only thing I have heard of recently is dogs in the US getting sick from those chicken jerky strips that come from China. Whether that was salmonella related I don't know though.

I was told by my vet that a dog over 4 mo of age with a healthy immune system could cope with salmonella . . . without getting sick. The same vet told me that the main salmonella incident they saw was people feeding raw chicken, or ground chicken mince, to young pups.

I'd guess, like most things relating to immune function, it's complicated.

I don't like pigs ears cause they are expensive and my dogs gobble them down as though they were steak.

I could see how that might cause some problems with choking, gagging, or worse.

But if your dog has lead a fairly normal dog life, including burying bones in the garden, digging them up, and ingesting a wide variety of decomposed and stinky found treasures, it seems unlikely that salmonella from a pigs ear is going to cause a lot of problems.

There is one stand at the uk shows that has dried treats in plastic bags that get left out in all weathers and often have condensation inside the bag, I should imagine this would make them full of nasty bugs. The products always look rank to me, so mine get treats from the other stands that know how to keep the products 'fresh'

I have now switched to Kangaroo tendons. I am hoping they are not going to pose as much threat as the piggy ears in more ways than just salmonella.

My lot LOVE them and if you believe the advertising they are chemical free and just dried which is a bonus and being kangaroo I am presuming that they are not imported. They are also very low in fat.

I can even give them occasionally to my problem girl who suffers from IBS with no ill effects. I would think that fatty products would be more problematic than lot fat ones when they are being stored but who knows!

Edited by Stitch

We had a 5 year old Collie girl quite sick with a case of gastritis after eating a pigs ear I purchased at a dog show - we have not purchased them since, never tested to identify the strain of the infection.

Cheers Kate

I had exactly the same with happen with a beagle girl 6 years.