Going Grey

was just wondering what causes a dog to start going grey besides old age?

reason for this is my not quite 2 (2 in may) bsd x gsd has been going grey around the muzzle for a while now. i noticed it sometime ago on her bottom lip, it was once black but is now mostly white/grey and her top lip is pretty grey now too (she's catching up in greyness to our 8yr old staffy) was just wondering what might be causing this.

:eek: I'd like to know too! My 2yr old has some grey very near his lips and I'm so vain about him -- perhaps I can say he looks 'distinguished' instead of 'old'

:whisper:

Funnily enough someone came into work and asked if we could do anything about it on their Kelpie....

Funnily enough someone came into work and asked if we could do anything about it on their Kelpie....

lol

main reason i was asking for this was coz mum said it might be coz she's in pain from her hips and it's making her age quicker??? (or something similar) she doesn't even remotely act like she's in pain and is still very energetic and loves to run/play fetch. and we're not forcing her to do either as she'll frequently just run around doing zoomies in the backyard n when she wants to play fetch she'll bring her toy to us and if we're sitting drop it on our lap and if standing with drop it ON our feet. just in case we didn't realise she wanted us to play lol

I don’t know the specifics of your breeds, but in weims some lines are known for grizzling (can’t say going grey... they already are :whisper: ) on the muzzle at quite a young age.... around two. It is not injury or illness related... and is clearly inherited.

I have also been told genetics play a big role in dogs (and humans) going grey. My 7 year old Vizsla is very white faced and his feet are going white also. I like to think he's looking distinguished, rather than grey :eek: His mother was going quite grey at 6 when I got Flynn, so I can see where he gets it from. He did grey a lot faster when I got Rogan as a pup though.... and I think I have too :whisper:

Yes it is genetics.

As the dogs age, the amount of hair pigment (melanin) that they produce lessens, turning the hair clear or 'grey'. The age that this starts to happen (melanocytes start dying, so melanin production drops), is controlled by genes.

It is not scientifically proven but large amounts of the vitamin PABA, found in health food stores, is said to slow down the process of going grey.

Also the supplements taken to improve the strength and growth of hair can help (biotin, tyrosine, B vitamins, cystine, inositol, Vitamin A and choline).

Yes, it can be genetic. The amino acid methionine can help if the grey is caused by lack of melanin production. Simply seek out a vitamin mineral supplement with methionine as an ingredient. May not work in every case, but the supplement wont do the dog any harm (more zoomies, maybe, Carebear??)

Totally unrelated Aatainc :whisper:

The "lifespan" of the melanocytes is controlled by genetics, and it is the melanocytes that produce the melanin.

Once they start "aging" & dying off, an air sac forms under the hair folicle, little or no melanin is produced (for that hair folicle), and that hair will end up "grey" (less melanin granules) or "white" (no melanin granules at all... technically the hair is "clear" or colourless).

Melanin granules are spread out throughout the cortex of the hair. There are more of them near the outer edge of the cortex than towards the middle, and the darker the hair, the more melanin granules it contains.

Eumelanin is the dark pigment which predominates in black and brunette hair. "White" hairs are only more noticeable because they are clear so they reflect from the colours around them.

Blonde and Red hair is different (I think, but don't quote me, the melanin produced for red hair is called phaeomelanin) - it is a totally different pigment.

The same genes that "control" what colour the hair will be (whether it's Eumelanin or phaeomlenanin produced by the melanocytes), also "control" the lifespan of the melanocytes.

(more zoomies, maybe, Carebear??)

:hug: :D :whisper: not more zoomies! lol... ok while the zoomies are fun in their own right, the hyper activity/jumping/mouthing that usually goes with it is very annoying! lol we got her out of it ages ago, but then lately she's been getting worse! when i call her to me, and when she gets there i say sit and give the hand signal and she jumps trying to get to my face! (which is also not good for her hips!) she just does not listen when hyper coz she'll do it if she's not hyper. :eek: no more hyper lucy! no more!

If a young BSD is going grey at 2 years of age, does that mean he is aging faster and will die younger - or is it completely unrelated? Sorry, just currently looking at a young Groeny.

It just means he is more prone to "frosting" and getting whiter around the muzzle/head. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with aging faster or that he will die younger.

It's kind of like humans who get gray hair faster...just means their hair is changing, not their health nor longevity. :whisper: