Dogs In Utes

Esky the husky

I am seriously seriously considering getting a ute for my 'dog car'

While the model I'm looking at is dual cab and she would be able to travel in there with me there are some times where it would be prferable for her to ride in the tray.

For example after a weekend of sled racing when she and all our gear is covered in mud.

So do any of you guys have experience with dogs travelling in utes?

Have you had dog boxes installed on the back?

Also does anyone have any links to any laws relevant to this in Australia?

I have had two utes with canopies. I didn't have cages or anything special installed. That wouldn't be necessary with one dog, and would probably be a hassle.

Essentials are the thick rubber floor mat, roof ventilation, and security grills on the side windows.

I have a dual cab D22 Navara. I had the tub back changed to a 6ft alloy tray.

On the back I have 3 large cages set up that can be mounted either at the head board or I can also bolt them to the tray across the back so that the dogs can still be let in and out even though the rest of the tray is used for taking all my gear. It is great as my dogs are often wet, muddy and roll in things that I don't want to smell and I can still just put them in cages and it doesn't bother me. I can hose the cages out later (and the dogs) and bedding etc and it is fine.

As I need to be able to use my ute at any time for picking up a bit of hay and stuff, I didn't want the whole back taken up by cages.

My cages are big enough I can fit 2 Border Collies in each cage. The cage has a zip up cover on it that covers the back, roof and sides and if wet or cold, the front flap comes down and I can zip it up. The sides also have a flap that can be rolled up and then has fly mesh to cover it.

In summer, I often take the waterproof cover off and have a shadecloth cover on under it so that air gets through and is mainly just for shade.

It so far works for me.

I currently have them mounted at rear of tray. I can still put my bike, camping gear, storage boxes and all in between headboard and cages and it is really good.

If I am going somewhere that I don't need to take much gear but more dogs, I attach some smaller single cages to fit more dogs on.

How many dogs to you usually take and how much storage room to you need as well for gear?

How many dogs to you usually take and how much storage room to you need as well for gear?

Your set up sounds awesome. I've only got the one dog at the moment.

Plus I need room for the racing scooter which is a really awkward shape though- like a mountain bike but with a flat base, so it doesn't fit into my current car without serious tetris skills

Because pictures are easier

6126258437_f9a888436c.jpg

Unpainted scooter by 9114, on Flickr

The only other things I'd need to fit in would be gear you need for camping ie tent, swag etc

The dual cab utes have a short tray and won't take the lengths that a station wagon can fit. They are good if you want extra height. Check this carefully. See what others are using to carry the same equipment. It may work out better to get a special lightweight trailer for your gear than to change your vehicle.

Our dogs basically live on the utes. I guess they dont drive long distances on roads on the back, so we never tether them. We have found it is much easier on a dog to slide off a tray than be tethered and hang themselves trying to jump off.

However if I was driving on open roads I would use a very short chain and some sort of rubber matting underfoot.

I will work out how to post some pics and put them on.

When I got my tub back changed to a tray back, I got the 6ft one. They usually put a 5ft on so just make sure you specify. If you ever sell your car, just keep your tray to change on to the next one.

I used to have a ute with a canopy but as I am short, it is really hard to access things.

After witnessing a dog fall off the back of a ute once & be still attached to a rope & dragged along I would never ever not have a dog tied to a short tether or secured in some way. Even working dogs (& yes I have worked on a farm) It was absolutely horrible & there's no excuse not to have any dog safely secured, even if they're loose they can still do major damage if they fall off or even be killed. You never know when/if the dog might come off so best to have them secured.

While a dog is out in the paddock and working they do not need to be tethered as already suggested it is a right royal pain in the butt.

However they should be tethered at all other times to a very short leash or in a crate or something similar.

I have many many times seen the result of dogs who are not restrained correctly and if it is not deadly it is certainly anything but pretty!