Fenced Dog Parks And Tips For Long Car Trips?

PoppyDog

So I'm taking my 2 year old CKCS home with me for Christmas.

It's about 7 hours of driving. And the longest trip she will have ever done. Up until now it's been 2 hours at a time.

She is super good in the car for those trips so I'm hoping she will be for this one too.

I'm after tips to make the journey stress free for us both.

And also am wondering if anyone knows of fenced dog parks between Ipswich and Tamworth? Like in Tenterfield, Glen Innes, Armidale, etc?

Thanks!

Wow what an adventure, :thumbsup: have a good drive :D

Thanks! :)

Have you tried checking the council/shire websites. That's what I do when travelling.

Thanks for the hint... just found two places. But I don't think either are fenced which worries me. May need to buy a super long leash. My pup has this things with going toilet on a leash... she's never done it for me before so I'm worried about this hence the need for a fenced dog park or two along the way. :)

We travel with our 3 CKCS all the time.

Is she crate trained already? Ours are quite happy to sit in thier crates for the journey, but they have been doing it since they were babies (it took us 10 hours to come home from thier breeders lol) They travel alot for shows so thier used to at least an hour journey but if the trip is a long one we give them a long lasting treat to keep them occupied and for the younger ones they always have at least one toy in thier crate.

My only other advice is to just remember to exercise, water and toilet her regularly. We just stop at the truck stops/rest areas and walk ours on lead around. They have a sniff around, toilet and exercise. We stop about every 2-3 hours, but usually they are more than happy to let us know if they need to get out, and we are happy to oblige.

Why were you particularly looking for fenced dog parks? We usually use long leads on our trips and that works fine.

If she is coping with two hour trips i can't imagine that you'd have much trouble. Other than that if possible, and only if possible, if you are leaving later in the day give her a chance to exercise or take her for a walk before you go. I find that the less energy they have the happier they are to sleep the time away!!!! But if your leaving early in the morning its a bit harder.

Merry Christmas and Happy travels to you and your precious one!!!

We travel with our 3 CKCS all the time. <br><br>Is she crate trained already? Ours are quite happy to sit in thier crates for the journey, but they have been doing it since they were babies (it took us 10 hours to come home from thier breeders lol) They travel alot for shows so thier used to at least an hour journey but if the trip is a long one we give them a long lasting treat to keep them occupied and for the younger ones they always have at least one toy in thier crate. <br><br><br>My only other advice is to just remember to exercise, water and toilet her regularly. We just stop at the truck stops/rest areas and walk ours on lead around. They have a sniff around, toilet and exercise. We stop about every 2-3 hours, but usually they are more than happy to let us know if they need to get out, and we are happy to oblige. <br><br><br>Why were you particularly looking for fenced dog parks? We usually use long leads on our trips and that works fine.<br><br>If she is coping with two hour trips i can't imagine that you'd have much trouble. Other than that if possible, and only if possible, if you are leaving later in the day give her a chance to exercise or take her for a walk before you go. I find that the less energy they have the happier they are to sleep the time away!!!! But if your leaving early in the morning its a bit harder. <br><br>Merry Christmas and Happy travels to you and your precious one!!!<br>

. My pup has this things with going toilet on a leash... she's never done it for me before so I'm worried about this hence the need for a fenced dog park or two along the way. :)

Aargh, I feel your pain, my dog is the same. :(

If I can't find a fenced park, I wait til i know she will be busting & look for an area where she will hedged in on 3 sides. Then in the event she tries to bolt off I am able to stop her. It has worked well so far.

It's just a precaution, she is usually good offlead, but why take chances in a strange place?

Enjoy your trip!!

We are taking our dog away on two little adventures over the Xmas holidays, I'm so looking forward to it. :)

If it is possible give her a run before you go, this will give you a few hours of driving knowing she has toileted and let off a bit of energy.

Me and my 4 travel to my mums (7 hour drive) regularly and I usually only stop once, mine sleep the whole way occasionally cracking an eye lid through towns when I slow down etc. On occasion I have stopped a second time if one has indicated they need a stop or if it is extra hot for drinks. Mine have been seasoned travelers from the time I got them and are very used to it. But for Poppy I would definatley recommend a few stops along the way especially if the day is hot. Have you considered travelling at night?

When I traveled 10 hours to my mum's with my 6 month old Rotti girl, she was more likely to hang close to me in the "strange" places we stopped for potty breaks than to run off... but then she was my heart dog and soul mate, so she wasn't inclined to go far away from me (or me her) anyways...

T.

If it is possible give her a run before you go, this will give you a few hours of driving knowing she has toileted and let off a bit of energy.

Me and my 4 travel to my mums (7 hour drive) regularly and I usually only stop once, mine sleep the whole way occasionally cracking an eye lid through towns when I slow down etc. On occasion I have stopped a second time if one has indicated they need a stop or if it is extra hot for drinks. Mine have been seasoned travelers from the time I got them and are very used to it. But for Poppy I would definatley recommend a few stops along the way especially if the day is hot. Have you considered travelling at night?

It would not be a good idea to drive from Ipswich to Tamworth at night. Especially at this time of year when flooding could happen on the New England.

I agree with exercising her before the trip.

I have gone that way with dogs in the car, we didn't see any fenced parks on the way so exercised the dogs on lead. If the dog is only used to travelling for two hours at a time, then stop every two hours for a five or ten minute stretch.

We drove to from Brisbane to Mackay with our two plus a rescue we were delivering to a new home in Mackay last year, there were no fenced dog parks along the way but we found a couple of on lead ones. We used longlines and the dogs were fine,ours were also inclined to stay a bit closer as they were on unfamiliar turf. We stopped every couple of hours for drinks/wees and to let them stretch their legs. We bought swivel attachments to use between their harnesses and the usual seat belt loops so they were secure but could lie down as it was such a long way.(Three crates would not fit) They coped very well and seemed to enjoy the road trip - even the boy who is not the greatest fan of the car.We also had a hammock type car seat cover for extra security in case of any sudden braking. I hope you have great trip.

Edited by coogie

Wow what an adventure, :thumbsup: have a good drive :D

Thanks! :)

Have you tried checking the council/shire websites. That's what I do when travelling.

Thanks for the hint... just found two places. But I don't think either are fenced which worries me. May need to buy a super long leash. My pup has this things with going toilet on a leash... she's never done it for me before so I'm worried about this hence the need for a fenced dog park or two along the way. :)

I brought a horse lunge lead which I am currently using for my Newf, now that he thinks its fun to play chase the leader ( except he wants to be the leader) Or you can get a retractable lead which is a bit easier to carry

Edited by mish13

It would not be a good idea to drive from Ipswich to Tamworth at night. Especially at this time of year when flooding could happen on the New England.

I agree with exercising her before the trip.

I have gone that way with dogs in the car, we didn't see any fenced parks on the way so exercised the dogs on lead. If the dog is only used to travelling for two hours at a time, then stop every two hours for a five or ten minute stretch.

especially with the kangaroos as well, omg one leapt out at me the other day at abuot 5 pm, just missed it. This is only my opinion but even if you found an off leash park I wouldn't be letting my dog off in it, no idea if there are holes in the fences, what other dogs are going to be there or enter whilst your dog is there, just a recipe for disaster in a town that neither you or your dog knows. I would stop every two hours, get a very long lead and walk her about on that. If she wants to go desperately she will, if she doesn't 7 hours of not going to the toilet wouldn't be a huge concern in an adult dog.

I live in Tamworth but I'll be on holidays whilst you are here :-(

I drove from nsw to WA over 5 days and back a few months later.

I didn't do anything, dogs had a few bones to chew but we didn't make any extra stops for them and they were fine.

For a 7 hour drive I would not worry, let pup out when you stop but I wouldn't be going out of my way to find places for them to run, will just turn a 7 hour trip into a longer one

Thanks everyone for you tips and advice and stories! And for the well wishes.

I think a long lead may be the answer and will just stop a couple of times.

Does anyone know the rules with dogs and outdoor eating in NSW? I usually stop in Tenterfield for lunch but might have to get drive through and go to a park.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that Poppy was a super star on our trip! She happily snoozed the whole 7 hours (almost 9 on the way home due to the Cunninghma beng closed) and when we stopped for breaks was great on the leash.

We went out to a friends 35 acre property and with no fencing I was a little worried she would run and run and not come back but she didn't! She stayed close and went off and explored then would come back the see the people!

Everyone commented on how cute and well behaved she was! Was very proud of her!