Big Dog Barf Patties

sandi'smum

Just wondering if anyone else is getting different consistencies, especially in the kangaroo variety? I was very pleased when I discovered that Big Dog Barf had kept the rights to Dr Billighurst's patties (I think that's what happened, when they parted company)But lately,the last 3 times of purchase,the kangaroo patties are sloppy and full of blood!!! Still able to see the veggies, but not so much the bone pieces.

The lamb and chicken ones seemed to vary from dry to full of blood also.

Anyone else experiencing this? :mad

Just wondering if anyone else is getting different consistencies, especially in the kangaroo variety? I was very pleased when I discovered that Big Dog Barf had kept the rights to Dr Billighurst's patties (I think that's what happened, when they parted company)But lately,the last 3 times of purchase,the kangaroo patties are sloppy and full of blood!!! Still able to see the veggies, but not so much the bone pieces.

In one of the patties in my last box of kangaroo BARF I found a chunk of metal, possibly a broken bit of meat grinder like the end of a drill bit.. I gave it to the shop where I bought it to chase it up.....

But yes, the patties were full of blood and I had to mix them together with a fork to make them more "appealing" after defrosting.

Due to other circumstances (sick dog recovering from liver infection - nothing to do with BARF - something else he ate :( ) I won't be feeding raw in the near future but I have to say I am reticient to consider BigDog now.

Thank goodness, I haven't found any metal pieces. The patties are just like described, sloppy, and I too have to mix them with a fork, to make them more "appealing" I have sent an e-mail to Big Dog Foods, asking what's going on, change of recipe etc. I haven't gotten a reply yet.

I feed Big Dog kangaroo Barf and have seen no difference. If it starts looking like you've described, I will not be feeding it again.

I'd be horrified to find metal in the dog's food. That is definitely a no-no. Did you get a response from the store SM?

I left it with the store owner but I haven't been back yet.

I have just had another delivery and so far have not seen any changes. I don't feed the Roo though but a friend just got 3 cartons of Roo with this delivery - will see her tomorrow and ask her is she has noticed any changes.

Best thing to do if your not happy and especially if a foreign object is found notify them asap - let them know. They may not know they even have a problem and if it is brought to their attention they may need to do a recall on the product.

eta: - I don't fully thaw the food though, so might do it next time to see what it looks like. My dogs eat it partially frozen.

Edited by Andisa

I used to feed Dr B's until they stopped using local vegies and started using imported ones...... That was the end of me - I dont want something that has been sprayed with goodness knows what from China in the dogs food. I would have gone beserk if I had found metal in a pattie - as I am sure you did Sandi's Mum!!

There has been a lot of problems getting reliable roo supplies from the abbatoirs due to the shortage of meat caused by the rain & shooters being unable to work. I buy roo from a reliable source which supplies a lot of greyhound owners; I know it has been processed properly, ie refrigerated in the field & processed by an abbatoir. The vendor has told me the abbatoir cut his order back from 1200kg to 900kg, however they offered him horse as a substitute, which he knocked back.

There is also another vendor of pet roo which is supplied by the shooters from around here. It is much cheaper but hasn't even been inspected, hence the number of cigarette butts & bottle tops you find in it :eek:

I too, used to feed Dr B's patties until he parted company( I believe Big Dog was the processor of the patties, and retained the recipe) and his patties became the same as the Big Dog are now, sloppy and the new packaging finished me!!!! That's when someone on DOL told us about Big Dog holding the recipe. You would think there would be a glut of kangaroo,since Russia cancelled its order and no longer receives the bulk of the kill.

Maybe that's why the patties aren't the same standard anymore. I still haven''t received a reply to my e-mail, but they are probably closed for the Xmas break.

I've found them a bit inconsistent, sometimes dry sometimes full of blood. I only feed the chicken or the beef. I swapped from Dr Bs to Big Dog as I had quite a few patties that were off once defrosted... once switching I haven't had that issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I sent another e-mail to Big Dog company yesterday, thinking they would be back from the Xmas break. I got a phone call today from "Kristy" explaining to me, that there was no change of recipe, back when I was getting the sloppy, blood filled patties. BUT, their supplier had sent them a "wetter" product. Following lots of complaints, their scientific food person, adjusted the formular, back in December, to rectify the problem. She tells me, that, under the date stamp on the box ( I no longer have mine ) there is a code number. Any patties made after then, have the code number starting with 1121. I shall be visiting my supplier this week to check this out. She also told me they make a fish variety - wild salmon, which I will be looking into.

:thumbsup:

I used to buy these too, and found all the varieties are just too sloppy. Have changed over to Canine Country patties - they have less blood in them, are of a much firmer consistency (not ground down so finely), and you can actually see the veges in them. I'm very happy with them and the dogs love them. :)