Christmas Leftovers

Greytmate

We have bought our doggies some treats (Made in Australia not imported ones, I never give imported anything) The only thing they get from our plates is the chicken meat, no ham, no bacon, or anything like that and they are just fed their regular food, we don't have the problem of guests feeding things they shouldn't, but no matter how many times you tell some people they still don't get it that the dog is not the garbage bin.

Great thread, thanks for thinking of it.

Mum and I were going to give the dogs a small amount of roast turkey breast and roast veges for dinner on Christmas night but without gravy. Does anyone think that will be problematic for them? The veges are just potato, pumpkin and carrots. Justice managed to eat an entire tub of butter without getting the runs (and thankfully without developing pancreatitis) so I'm not worried about an upset belly in that sense but obviously don't want to do anything that might harm him.

That sounds quite ok. Turkey is fine for dogs, as long as the bones have been removed. Just stick to the same quantity as you would normally feed, and no fatty or oily bits.

:)

Great topic!

OH learned the hard way that 4 month old kitten and too much ham do not mix. I warned him and got the "but it's christmas" and the "look he loves it". He dealt with the litter tray aftermath, thank goodness it wasn't way worse. He always asks now what he can treat the pets with :laugh: .

Guest donatella

Well I've spent the afternoon trying to fend my dickhead younger brother from feeding Lucy m&m's because he thinks it's funny to see me upset because '1 won't hurt her'.

Not just the food, watch the wrapping! That stretchy elastic around some roasts and the string wrapped around others. I had a cat who was feeling very sorry for her self after eating that elastic netting of a rolled turkey roast last year. Even worse, I had chucked it in the bin and made sure it was buried but she still found it :mad. Lucky the little beast threw it up in bits and felt better, nearly had a trip to the vet.

My guests were all very good and didn't feed the dogs anything, but they got the liquid from the slow cooker chicken ladled onto their kbble, along with some choice shreds of cooked chicken meat, then they got to lick some ice cream bowls. They're happy AND still healthy!

All of my furkids got a pig's ear after dinner (kibble) - courtesy of my lovely neighbour who gave us a bag of 50 for Christmas...

Had lunch at my cousin's place, and everyone was really good for not feeding her dog any "people food" - the dog got a few small bits of every leftover with her dinner kibble instead.

T.

Well the post Christmas influx of dogs that have been either fed or allowed to access Xmas crap has started, some people truly amaze me with stupidity. Maybe the Vet bills will be a wake up call.

Sad thing is the animals are the ones that truly pay, some with their lives.

Ham and pork for dogs is a nono in this house.

I learnt the hard way, after haveing a house full of farting dogs.

My lot get the same food nomatter what day it is.

I always cook extra vedges when I have a roast, they love their roast vedg and gravy ( I make my own gravy).

I agree those gravy mixes have far too much salt.