Alternative Ear Cleaner?

BustaGirl

post-10621-0-90284700-1324854229_thumb.jpgI have 2 big Weimaraners who love the beach!

Ear cleaner is a constant, my vets recommend cleaning with 'Ear Clean' twice a week all the time to keep on top of it to reduce infections as they are so prone.

This is very costly $40 for a small bottle that lasts maybe 4 - 6 weeks.

Is their a safe cheaper remedy I can make from home?

Thanks!

Edited by BustaGirl

We got a 500ml bottle of Ilium Oticlean from the vet for our grey. It is a trigger pack so makes cleaning her ears easy. We do them once a week and it looks like it will last for ages and it cost nothing like that. You can get it on line for less than $20 + postage and the vets price was about the same total cost. Does a good job too.

stormie - Its just a cleaner no medical

Mags - Thanks, I will look into 'ilium Oticlean'

Crisovar - Maleseb seems a cheap alternative for cleaning mixing with water, online is way cheaper I have just relised, thanks.

Bayer Clean Ear 125ml was costing me $38.95 from my local vet, online is the way to go just did a seach & can get if for under $20.

I personally wouldnt be using malaseb as a 'often' ear cleaner (Malaseb is now 1ml to 50ml of water, 1:30 was since revised to 1:50).

I use Epi-Otic which is pretty cheap comes in a 250ml bottle, and milo's is a good product as i used to use it when it was leo's.

My vet put mine onto Malaseb, and I've always used it since then. One of mine is prone to fungal stuff otherwise but Malaseb works brilliantly. Epi Otic I always found greasy and residual.

At $20 a bottle, at 30-50 dilution it is very good value as well.

I like the PAW one it is very gentle, about $24, has citrus oils in it.

The milos one was very effective but my dogs really dislike the menthol in it (feels weird when I get It on my skin must feel pretty weird in their ears)

A mix of half white vinegar & half warm water is fine for cleaning ears.

A little boracic acid powder in the ear before they go in the water helps too.

Obviously though if there is serious infection the vet is the place to go but these 2 things may help & are not expensive or difficult to source.

I use Malaseb ear wash i make up from home, works out way easier. My goldie used to squeal anytime i would clean her ears with epiotic and since using malaseb she never ever squeals when i use it. So i'm going to stick with it. Our vet recommended cleaning her ears with this so since it's kept ear infections at bay i'll continue doing so.

A mix of half white vinegar & half warm water is fine for cleaning ears.

Thanks, did the vet recommend this?

I cant stand the smell of Epi-otic anymore, especially when it ends up all over you :)

I have 2.5% vinegar in one of my handbooks as a good ear cleaner, in the same list as Epi-otic and PAWS. So yup vets do recommend this.