Bleeding Knuckles/paws (pics Inside)

Gorilla

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is from cccq (Dogs Queensland)

n. I shall not -

i sell or otherwise transfer from my care any puppy under eight weeks of age, after undertaking a recognised vaccination regime. I shall provide a current vaccination certificate with any dog leaving my care;

Either way, I agree- it's unlikely to be a registered breeder who sold/gave away the pup so young.

Well apparently the mum was hit by a car and died so that is why they sold pups early.. I would have thought they still could have been with littermates right up till 8wks anyway, obviously too much work for these dedicated breeders!

Edited by mumof4girls

Well apparently the mum was hit by a car and died so that is why they sold pups early.. I would have thought they still could have been with littermates right up till 8wks anyway, obviously too much work for these dedicated breeders!

That old excuse! Or the great stand by - mum didn't want anything to do with them any more. Makes me so angry when people bring these pups into the world but the second they have to do any of the work themselves the pups are out the door. Totally agree - even if the bitch was actually killed there's no excuse for the pups to have been separated so early. Mind you, some of the responsibility has to go with people who are willing to enable this behaviour by buying/taking pups so young :mad

I believe there's new laws in Victoria from the 1st Jan. Pups not to be taken from Mother before 7 weeks, not sold/given away before 8wks, must be vacc'd and microchipped by seller and a bit more. This is available on the DPI site and also another Govn site. Sorry I don't have more details but have read about this on another site.

10. Breeding and reproduction

Minimum Standards

A breeding dog must be fit, healthy and free of disease.

Dogs with a known history of physical or genetic defects (that will affect the dog or its progeny’s quality of life) must not be used for breeding.

Females must not be bred before they are 12 months old, to ensure they are physically fully grown.

Veterinary advice must be sought immediately if there are any concerns about a pregnancy or labour.

Puppies must not be separated from the mother before 7 weeks of age and not be sold or given away until 8 weeks of age or older.

Recommended Best Practice

If it is not intended to use a male or female dog for responsible breeding purposes, they should be desexed by a veterinarian. Desexing can be done safely from 8 weeks of age and preferably before puberty (4-6 months).

Before breeding, dogs should be health-checked by a veterinarian. This will include checking for any known breed genetic defects (that will affect the dog or its progeny’s quality of life). Inherited defects may detract from the dog’s overall health and cause pain or discomfort that cannot be cured and animals with such defects should not be bred from.

Regardless of breed, bitches should be at least 12 months old and in their second season before being mated for the first time. For the larger dog breeds, the recommended age for first breeding is generally 18 months old, i.e. when the bitch is fully grown and mature.

Bitches should not be mated to have more than two litters in an 18-month period. For the larger breeds, this should be not more than 2 litters per 24 month period.

Guidelines

Desexing has positive welfare and health benefits for dogs as well as reducing any tendency to stray, particularly in male dogs. Dogs do not ‘need’ to have a litter of puppies for their psychological or physical welfare.

If you intend to breed from a dog, contact a veterinarian to obtain information on health, nutrition and birth procedures. Dog associations such as the Victorian Canine Association can also assist with information on responsible breeding.

Gestation (pregnancy) is generally about nine weeks. A pregnant bitch has increased health requirements and requires regular veterinary checks during the pregnancy.

A suitable warm and protected environment should be provided for the bitch to give birth. Most bitches will complete labour in around 6 hours with no more than one hour between pups. If thebitch or pups appear distressed or there seems to be delays in the labour contact a veterinarian promptly.

Owners inexperienced in the birthing of bitches should seek advice from their veterinarian or an experienced breeder and preferably have an experienced person present.

Contact a veterinarian if there are any concerns over the labour.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/dog-care/private-keeping-of-dogs/dog-code