It Is Time

D_mentias

After fighting an aggressive tumour unsuccesfully for the month it is now time for Maggie to go. Care has only been palliative for a few days now. This morning she got up inspected the yard and lined up for breaky with the younger retrievers. Exhausted afterwards she lay on my bed where I later feed her chicken necks for lunch. I noticed she was drinking a little funny and one eye looked odd. About 5 pm she got of the bed distressed and became incontinet, then I noticed that her R front side was not working...she has now suffered a stroke.

Maggie is a Curly Coated Retriever x Labrador Retriever and has been my constant companion for 7 years and developed into a medical assistance dog. I am probably still alive and independent because of her. This has been a very hard journey for both of us.

If she makes it through the night I will try and find a vet tomorrow. Vets won't travel here and we are 50ks from town.

Now it is just cuddles and re-assurance

I will include a photo of her taken on Nov 20th

maggiebeauty-1.jpg

Edited by D_mentias

I am so sorry you are going through this..........She is beautiful and i am sure very precious to you and well loved

When this was happening to me last year, I was given a poem, it helped me a little

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak

And pain should keep me from my sleep,

Then you must do what must be done,

For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.

Don't let your grief then stay your hand.

For this day, more than all the rest,

Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.

What is to come can hold no fears.

You'd not want me to suffer so;

The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,

And please stay with me till the end.

Hold me firm and speak to me,

Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see

The kindness that you did for me.

Although my tail its last has waved,

From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you

Who had this painful thing to do.

We've been so close, we two, these years;

Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

--- Anonymous ---

:cry:

What a hard hard day ahead for you ... I will be thinking of you . I hope in one way she goes at a time of her choosing, at home ... so you are spared that last trip.

Take care ... enjoy the cuddles

:grouphug:

This. Beautifully said Persephone. Prayers for you and your beautiful girl tonight, and for however long it takes... :cry:

:hug:

Edited by westiemum

Maggie became quite distressed after her stroke and couldn;t lay her head down. So I supported her chin on a lambskin and eventually gave her O2 which settled her. About midnight she had a distressing violent convulsion and slipped into a coma. She continued to fit for a few hours but settled by 3 am. About 6am another convulsion but I dozed and could hear her breathing.

At 1030 am I let my Murray Curly out and Maggies breathing was noisier. Just after 11 am she passed at the foot of my couch.

hhas been a tough and rapid journey. She was only diagnosed on the Dec 2nd. Life is just so unfair to take such a devoted and useful assistance dog so young. Thank you for your support.

RIP Maggie.

Hugs to you during this difficult time - my heart is with you..... having just gone through the same I know how much distress you are feeling. Maggie will be running and playing with Tango and the other adored animals who left us this year at the Bridge :rainbowbridge: , with smiles and in full health. Hugs from me.....:kissbetter:

• 4 weeks later...