Pustules - Skin Infection?

Hi all, my 8mo whippet has suddenly developed dozens of large pustules all over her groin, belly, chest and the insides of her legs. Admittedly I don't check her belly every day but looking at the stage these are at, they appear quite new. She is not scratching or licking them, and they are not sore. I have 5 whippets and no-one else is affected in the slightest. I don't have a flea problem either.

Unless you flipped her over, you would never know there was anything wrong. I nearly died when I had a look at her today.

I haven't changed her diet, she shares the same bedding as the others, they all play in the same areas and I'm not aware of new weeds or plants...I am at a total loss as to what might be causing this. Can dogs develop skin infections quite randomly? In the close up, the dirt has accumulated because of the pustules oozing.

post-14971-0-97384900-1324983645_thumb.jpg

post-14971-0-98107300-1324983987_thumb.jpg

If someone can offer me some advice about this I'd be most appreciative. Cheers.

w2s

Edited by woody2shoes

If nothing else checks out, it could be worth getting thyroid levels checked.....T4 might be low - I had a Dobermann whose thyroid had been damaged when the litter members were exposed to parvo when they were a few weeks old and it didn't become apparent till she was 9 months old and had a bout of gastro - after that the pustules started...

Our puppy got these at 4 months. Vet decided it was a secondary infection to an allergic reaction. He went on a course of antibiotics for 10 days and they cleared up.

I would take her to the vet - but first have a realllly good think about what else has happened - has she been somewhere new, a park, beach etc? Met and played with a new dog? Taken her to someones house? Have you recently washed her bedding and in what detergent? Has she had any new treats?

If I didn't know better I would say this was a photo of our foster dog 4 weeks ago. Exactly the same.

We took him to the vet, dose of antibiotics and a medicated shampoo - Dermcare Pyohex Shampoo. We had to wash him, massage the shampoo in for 10 mins, and then wash it out.

The spots were gone the next morning.

His also came up overnight, as we rubbed his tummy daily as he was very submissive.

We think it may have been wandering jew? but just a guess.

Maybe it is the time of the year?

Edited by Guest

Yep - I am with pumpitdog - this was Tango about 8 weeks ago :(

Took him to our vet who prescribed a course of anitbiotics and I also used aloe vera gel which he was very happy to let me put on him... it must have been nice and cooling for him..

No scratching so it obviously wasn't itchy and he seemed fine otherwise and it cleared up pretty quickly and has never shown it scabby face again...

So all very strange...

My only thought was some sort of allergy / reaction to something we may have encountered on our walks but my two are always walked together so go figure... Although Tango has a love of brushing through long grass while Tippi sticks to the footpaths so perhaps wandering jew could have been the culprit :confused:

Thanks everyone...

Well, Summer's pustules became a lot worse overnight so I took her to the vet yesterday. She has Acute Pustular Dermatitis brought on, more than likely, by an allergic reaction of some sort ie. she has a secondary infection so consistent with what has been suggested here on this forum. My vet suggested stinging nettles and whilst we do have them growing around here, there is little if any of it around any more, and certainly none in our immediate house yarding. I am at a loss. Nothing new of any sort has been introduced so I have no idea what brought this on.

In any case, she is on a course of Cephalexin and the vet suggested using Savlon cream daily to soothe her underbelly. Well, the pustules dried up overnight and hopefully, by tomorrow I should see another marked improvement. She is definitely on the improve.

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers!

w2s and Summer

Kirah had those too not long ago (I even posted about it here somewhere too!). The pustules looked nasty and sore to touch and my vet said to just keep an eye on them. I gave her a small dose of Claratyne for a few days and even tried applying Paw Paw Ointment (Kirah liked its taste though) and it cleared up.

She hasn't had them since but I'm keeping an eye out because I don't really know what caused them. I've even had her back at the dog park, which was when I first notcied them, but still nothing. It's a complete puzzle.

Hi all, my 8mo whippet has suddenly developed dozens of large pustules all over her groin, belly, chest and the insides of her legs. Admittedly I don't check her belly every day but looking at the stage these are at, they appear quite new. She is not scratching or licking them, and they are not sore. I have 5 whippets and no-one else is affected in the slightest. I don't have a flea problem either.

Unless you flipped her over, you would never know there was anything wrong. I nearly died when I had a look at her today.

I haven't changed her diet, she shares the same bedding as the others, they all play in the same areas and I'm not aware of new weeds or plants...I am at a total loss as to what might be causing this. Can dogs develop skin infections quite randomly? In the close up, the dirt has accumulated because of the pustules oozing.

post-14971-0-97384900-1324983645_thumb.jpg

post-14971-0-98107300-1324983987_thumb.jpg

Hi

I had a similar problem with a couple of dogs after visiting a friends house, it didn't affect all the dogs just a couple and one of my friends dog was affected as well. After a bit of experimenting it seems that these dogs were being affected by Biting Midges (Sandflies). They weren't overly itchy like you would expect but seemed to have an reaction like the one your dog has. The same thing happened to the same dogs when we took them to a couple of away shows.

Cleared up after course of anitbiotics, Medicated wash. Then put them on advocate and spray with permoxcin when ever they are going to these places and touch wood haven't had the problem since.

We only looked at this as being the cause as one day I noticed a tiny flying insect at my friends house in the longer grass, really small, I would have missed it but something bit my ankle and I was looking around to see what it was. The owner commented yeh they are midges, they don't bother me but my wife suffers when they are out. So I thought if they bother some people and not others maybe it's the same with the dogs as we couldn't think what else was causing the reaction. We applied the advocate and sprayed the dogs with permoxcin when we visited them again and didn't have a problem.

Just a thought but maybe the reaction is to an insect, which would also become worse at certain times of the year, and not a plant.

Cheers Lee