Walking Dogs In The Heat

Kirty

Yesterday, while driving home from the beach in the 34 degree heat, I noticed a woman walking her dog. At first I thought the dog was limping, but then I realised it was 'hopping' on the burning hot footpath. The owner was completely oblivious, dragging the poor dog along behind her. Honestly, what are some people thinking?? If it's too hot for you to walk barefoot on the concrete, its too hot for the poor dog too! :(

I agree that it's ridiculous to walk in 34 degrees. We usually don't walk if it's above 28, unless it's cloudy or windy.

I don't agree with the barefoot comment though. Dogs are always barefoot, they develop thick skin on their paw pads. My dogs often walk on the footpath in the heat when they have a choice between footpath and grass, and it doesn't bother them. If humans were always barefoot we would be a lot more tolerant of hot footpaths too.

Plus, the temperature at which you feel like your skin is burning varies between species. For humans it's usually in the 40s, for cats it's in the 50s. I don't know what it is for dogs, but skin doesn't actually burn below 65 degrees.

Dogs are always barefoot, they develop thick skin on their paw pads.

Some do ... some which are not walked often enough on hard surfaces don't. Dogs with pale pads sometimes feel the heat on pads more , if our working dogs are anything to go by :( .

When training GD's years ago, we never walked, or encouraged owners to work, on hot asphalt . Concrete is much 'cooler' ..asphalt can be extremely uncomfortable .

Yes I am the same.Do not walk the greyhounds when it's hot.Stan is so bloody lazy a 20 min walk for him is more than enough and that's in the middle of winter!Maddie on the other hand could run all day.Luckily I have a huge backyard so it doesn't worry them if they don't go for a walk.

My 2 haven't been out for a walk for the past couple of days because of the heat - and tomorrow isn't looking good either - 39 degrees - unless we go for a quick walk at 6 when they get up then they will not be going out tomorrow. i have a few set walks and try and pick the shadiest ones when the weather is hot - and ones that aren't all footpath.

If we didn't walk when it was hot we wouldn't walk at all! Though the majority of our walking is on dirt tracks shaded with trees for the most part with a little stretch of footpath with a grass verge. I encourage Arby to walk on the grass verge but sometimes he just wants to walk on the pavement... i guess every dog is different, though i wouldn't put him in a position where he didn't have that choice.

i see so many people walking their dogs when it's hot, i feel sorry for those dogs cause i doubt they'd be comfortable.

my dog's so flat when it's this warm, even when it's 28 degrees or so he just lays down all day on the cold tiles in the bathroom and doesn't budge so i'd never consider taking him for a walk when it's hot maybe in the afternoon when it cools down but with the temperatures these past few days in adelaide the nights are too bloody hot aswell so i'll just wait till we get a cooler day :)

yeah today i took sash out earlier, this afternoon we went to a river for a swim and then this evening i took her out for a bathroom break but it was grass and we def didnt stay out long. i worry bout her paws but its like she doesnt feel temperature sometimes. but if i am too hot she wont be going out. prob lucky that our walks are early morning or evening if its hot and even then i dont overdo it

My dogs all stayed inside all day in our lovely airconditioned family room (going out to their dog yard a couple of times for a few minutes to toilet).....They all got their walk at 8.30 pm, just as the sun was going down. :)

Would never walk them during the day on a hot day...too hot for them, & too hot for us.

Edited by Baileys mum

Today it was nice outside at 630am. When we left on a walk it was OK just after 730 but by the time we were heading back 20 min later it was starting to get too hot. So was inside in teh aircon after that. Looking at the temp thats when it was going through the 28=29 degrees upwards. ASits suppose to be 28 overnight tonight dont think it will be cool enough to go out tomorrow regardless of how early

Yesterday, while driving home from the beach in the 34 degree heat, I noticed a woman walking her dog. At first I thought the dog was limping, but then I realised it was 'hopping' on the burning hot footpath. The owner was completely oblivious, dragging the poor dog along behind her. Honestly, what are some people thinking?? If it's too hot for you to walk barefoot on the concrete, its too hot for the poor dog too! :(

Some people just DON'T think.

I personally would have said something like WTF are you thinking bitch?

That sounds dreadful, and it makes me wonder that other than hot pavements, sometimes it seems a bit hot for dogs to be out. I always wait for the cool as much as for my own sake as the dogs, if it is not comfortable for me, it probably won't be optimum for them to enjoy a good exercise.

My dog is a brachycephalic breed and struggles in high heat. Common sense dictates that I walk him early/ late in the day when the temperature is reasonable. If it's too hot for him, it's too hot for me. Anyhow, he just wants to sleep if it's hot. :thumbsup:

Grumpette, love the 'bitey water' piccies. Gorgeous dogs. And a nice way for your dogs to stay cool. :laugh: