Help Please

missy2484

Well if it doesn't work out, you will find that petshops don't take their dogs back.

When will people learn that buying from petshops IS the wrong thing to do. Not going to lecture you but just have a look on the internet, in particular do a search on "Oscar's Law". No matter how hard we try, the word is not getting out to the masses but it will, eventually.

In the meantime, you have taken on a much bigger problem to solve another problem and that's never a good idea. You need to make time to exercise any dog properly - 3-4 times a week isn't going to cut it.

I used to get up at 5am so I could walk my dogs for up to an hour. Between 6 and 7 I was getting ready to leave for work.

I got home around 7 and the first thing I used to do was walk my dogs. I'm not saying it was easy and there is more than just one adult in your household so please, pull your collective fingers out and start exercising and interacting with your dog. Don't leave it to a tiny puppy to do your work for you and you'll also need to spend a lot more time now you have a puppy.

Grrrrrrrrr. :mad

I have to say I find it amazing that a suitable pup/dog couldn't be found from rescue (though i dont think the OP got the second pup for the right reason. I've been looking myself recently and there are plenty of young BC/BC crosses available from rescue groups, not to mention numerous other working breed working breed cross puppies. At least most rescues will allow a trial period.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So we have been looking for awhile and nothing has jumped out at us, but yesterday i went past a local pet store that sells pups from local backyard breeders, i trust the pet shop most days they let the dogs out of the glass windows in crates in the shop and I know someone who has had an "accident" with their dog and sold to them so I don't believe it is supporting any puppy farming or anything.

Joking, right???

If the shop you got your pup from allows it, I suggest you take it back immediately.

As others have said, 3-4 walks a week is not enough stimulation for a border collie. You didn't say how old your boy was when you got him but assuming you got him as a pup, he is still very young for a BC and he needs a lot more than what he is getting. If you don't have time to put any more effort into caring for the dog you have why on Earth would you think that the solution is getting another one? And another working breed at that.

You can't just purchase any random puppy and expect it to 'learn to be submissive'. Dogs are not robots.

You say you want the best for both dogs. The best thing for them is that the new pup be rehomed or taken back to the pet shop and you work on the issues you have with your first dog. You said you don't want to rehome her when she has done nothing wrong, but trust me she is not going to even remember once she is in a new home where she is happy. If you keep her where she is, in an unsuitable situation she will not be happy and neither will your other dog.

I agree Rozzie doesn't make sense... I'm sorry OP but you need to research BYB :-(

So we have been looking for awhile and nothing has jumped out at us, but yesterday i went past a local pet store that sells pups from local backyard breeders, i trust the pet shop most days they let the dogs out of the glass windows in crates in the shop and I know someone who has had an "accident" with their dog and sold to them so I don't believe it is supporting any puppy farming or anything.

Joking, right???

You can't just purchase any random puppy and expect it to 'learn to be submissive'. Dogs are not robots.

Exactly.

The pup may have an more assertive temperament than the adult dog and as soon as it is old enough to enforce its will, it'll be doing just that. Being younger or new doesn't mean the pup will just bow down to the older dog.

As for the digging.. as others have said, lack of stimulation may have nothing to do with it.

I have one dog who digs trenches to sleep in when it's hot (we have a sand area for that), another dog who'd digs holes to stash toys/interesting twigs/any food she could make off with and a new dog who just loves to dig because it's fun (he and his "sister" dig them together).

Digging isn't some aberrant behaviour to be dealt with, it's normal and provided there's no issue behind it (like trying to escape the yard, etc.) it really is better to just work with the behaviour- pick out somewhere for the dog to dig (a sand area makes it a lot easier for them to learn) - rather than trying to stop it.

BCs don't necessarily need a huge amount of physical exercise - they need mental stimulation. My BCs are NEVER walked and they are happy and well adjusted because they get mental exercise.

The dog being a rescue dog may be older than what you think and be age related. I would take the dog to the vet for a thorough check up.

BCs don't necessarily need a huge amount of physical exercise - they need mental stimulation. My BCs are NEVER walked and they are happy and well adjusted because they get mental exercise.

The dog being a rescue dog may be older than what you think and be age related. I would take the dog to the vet for a thorough check up.

I second this, I have an almost 4 yr old BC who is lucky if once a fortnight gets a walk but we do alot of menatally draining things at home like agility work and tricks and playing with his toys and we live in suburbia and he is fine even after coming off 2 acres where he ran all day, occasionally barks but is happy to play with our other dogs or sleep or talk to the neighbours dogs along the fence line never an issue.

Its sounding to me a few things - the dog is starting to age you never truly know the age of a dog from the pound my BC was told he was about 3 by the pound based on his physical build and everything. The vet checked him out told different due to his teeth structure and the fact as well in the 12 months I had him he grew taller and matured out. There is the possbility with this that he is simply getting old and is maybe not as interested in toys and playing all the time.

Someone else has already said that laying in holes is cooler for the dog which is true, I also had thoughts of it being a stress related behaviour for him he digs due to stress something may have happened while you werent there or something you have done has trigger this behaviour and you may not even know it, Den exhibits different behaviours when he iss stressed, I had a little mop dog who licked his feet when stressed. Has he got a bed or something to lie on? ours have Dozers as well as a trolley and a run to go to during the day but often Ill look outside and find them chilled on the back steps

I would be getting the dog checked out and just spend time with him, try some clicker training, provide him with things like kongs for stimulation, bones for a treat and a change, add a sandpit so he can dig if your that worried about the digging behaviour, I think if the vet rules out health then stress less he may simply have settled and doesnt feel the need to be a feral typical bc as mine is.

Oh , just to be clear and to reinforce...I agree with ALL the others :)

Best to take the pup back if they will take her, so she can get a real chance at happiness.

Working Dog Rescue might help you out if that fails?

Don't EVER buy from a pet shop, maybe you walked past and "impulse" buy? Don't be too hard on yourself those places work that way :mad

Vet check.

Spend MORE time with your dog. Have you considered a professional walker? Maybe for an extra afternoon walk as well as your getting up earlier and giving the dog at least an hour each day. Some trustworthy family or friends might also take him (for some extra cash??) You have a few options.

good luck!

x2

I don't walk my two gsd's either. however we have a very large backyard and they run all day... AND night!! i also take them to the dog park often and we are there for lengthy periods of time where they run constantly as well. they also get stimulation here at home.

I agree with everyone's advice so far. BC's imo need regular exercise, yes, mental stimultion,yes, but most of all they need YOU !!

Never, ever buy from a pet shop.

I have 2 BC's. One 3 & 1 years old. They are best friends & I couldn't be happier. Having said that I am lucky enough to dedicate almost all my time to them as I no longer work.

I also NEVER left them unsupervised when Stella was little, infact I rarely do now.

Also something I think is VERY important, IMO never get a second dog for your first dog. I got Stella for me, pure self indulgence. Not for Sonny or any other reason.

Just things to think about. I would get your first dog vet checked. Asap. I would rehome your new littley, as I think you are time strapped & all being well with your BC health wise, spend as much time as you can, exercise/stimulate & love

Good luck & keep us posted on your outcome.

Edited by BC Crazy

I think we might have scared off the OP, and I don't think she was a troll.

She had already bought the dog from a petstore, and it happens so get over yourselves and leave that bit alone - its done. Lets work with what we have.

We have to remember here that our chance is to help people and dogs...not admonish them for something we can not change....and by chasing the OP away by making her feel bad is not helping anyone.

If you are still reading, I want you to know that years and years ago we got a second dog, a female puppy for our male adult dog for companionship. Our dog became like a new dog and had a new lease on life and we will never again have a single dog unless the dog can be with us during the day.

BC are intelligent and can get bored. They do need mental stimulation. Ever seen a dog race around chasing a ball or a frisky etc for ages, lay down in a heap, and be recovered 5 minutes later able to do it all again? that is physical exercise. Mental exercise has a different and longer effect on the dog. Dog trainers will help you with mental exercises that you can do with our while you are also physically exercising him.

Yes, big mistake leaving the puppy and the dog together - but its an innocent mistake and whats done is done. Don't worry about it. You are obviously a caring dog loving person trying your best. so keep at it and stay here, hang around, you'll find we are not as bad as some of us can come across as.

I'd get trainers in like Oz Dogs - I had used them an they hd a massive impact on my life, my dog's life and our whole family.

http://www.dogtrainingaustralia.com.au/?gclid=CIfpgtXIsK0CFYM3pAod2zjSsQ

Get them in and they will help.

It might cost a bit - but its so worth it. And do it soon, the sooner the better for the best results :)

Nor mine, but seeing as the OP has been a member here for some time, the petshop opinion left me gobsmacked.icon_smile_mad.gif

Just because someone joined 2 years ago doesn't mean that they have been reading DOL for 2 years. The OP may have only come back now when she has a problem.

OK so i have been reading these forums for years now and managed to track down my old log on but never posted before. I have a dilema and I need some dog lovers advice, hence why i'm up at 1240 stalking dog forums. However I'm hoping all those people out there who love dogs and animals as much as I do can offer me some much needed advice.

Thanks guys xx