If You Were Choosing A Breed On Looks Alone...

aussielover

And not really a 'dog' but anyhow..

What's 'not a dog' about a Cape hunting dog? I chose a Wolf on my list :D

[nerd]

ah but wolves and dogs are the same species, painted dogs aren't even in the same genus :p

[/nerd]

Please edumacate me...if it's not a dog then what is it? TY

It is still within the same family (canids) along with wolves, jackals, coyotes, domestic dogs and foxes, but the African dog lineage is unique and has just the one species.

Wolves, jackals and coyotes are the next most closely related group (the Canis group), then within the 'wolf' species there are numerous subspecies which include domestic dogs, dingoes, new guinea singing dogs and a bunch of different types of wolf.

The main difference is that you could breed a domestic dog and a wolf together and get viable offspring, not so with domestic dogs and African dogs :)

Edit - too slow! Thanks Longclaw :)

Edited by Weasels

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the Saluki is the most incredibly beautiful dog. There are a lot of other things I admire about the breed. But I'd personally not own one, I'm not the right person for them!

I also love the look of greyhounds, pointers, whippets and Scottish deerhounds. I'd consider the greyhound and the whippet, but my next dog will be a papillon, which I think the perfect mix of beauty and other traits that match me as an owner.

Aussie3, it's a Tibetan Mastiff :)

And not really a 'dog' but anyhow..

What's 'not a dog' about a Cape hunting dog? I chose a Wolf on my list :D

[nerd]

ah but wolves and dogs are the same species, painted dogs aren't even in the same genus :p

[/nerd]

^^that :laugh:

Have to say, it's nice to see that some have not included their current breed of dog and have expanded...obviously the dog/s you have are the number 1 choice. :D

Well it didn't say to pick 5 other breeds laugh.gif and my breed of choice just happens to be the one I also find most aesthetically pleasing :)

Lots of people own breeds they don't find the top of their list in attractiveness so it's a fair point to include your current breed if they top the list :D

Actually I just felt bad that I didn't include my own breed as number 1 choice. :o

Cos wheatens are the prettiest (aside from kerries!). Teddy bears but wif teef.

I don't know about yours but mine came with lots and lots of teeth. Good thing he started using them a bit more judiciously about the same time they got bigger.

And Kerries are stunning, but I love that Wheatens are allowed to be shaggy.

Oh yes, Grumpy's teeth work really well.

Don't they!? I'm surprised at all the borzoi admirers out there.

Plus, Im embarrassed to admit I forgt to add my two short-leg faves...

Pekingese (old style)

and Sealyham (esp with badger markings) - this is the one I seriously hope to add to the real, not just daydreaming, list!

Guest RosieFT

My absolute favourite of all time: Kerry Blue Terrier - fell in love years ago when i saw them on TV in Canada winning at some huge show over there.

Recently met one at a dog show - most beautiful coated dog. Too much grooming, too much dog :-( .. but stunning.

Fox Terrier - wire

West Highland white

Afghan hound

Cocker Spaniel (American)

oooooh thats a hard one.....hmmm....

in no particular order

1. Ridgeback

2. Afghan

3. Vizsla

4. Bull Terrier

5...........um......a chinese crested, westie, frenchie, shiba inu, basenji hybrid :D (because 5 in a list is not possible, so i would take all the other pretty ones and smoosh them together!!!)

You can tell I'm becomming obsessed with sighthounds-

1. Borzoi (yep, another admirer!)

2. Silken Windhound

3. Greyhound (gotta love a grey!)

4. Saluki

5. and from out of left field.... a Finnish Lapphund!! (my current hairy dream dog)