If You Were Choosing A Breed On Looks Alone...

aussielover

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Irish Setter

Kerry Blue Terrier

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Siberian Husky

Akita

For the first three of them, can't face the grooming requirements, and for the other two, don't want to work that hard at training. Love the look and the idea of owning these breeds, fall down on the reality of living with them.

I currently have a wheaten terrier and had an Irish setter as a kid neither are what I would consider particularly onerous in the grooming stakes. Five to 10 minutes every other day is all it takes to keep the coat in good condition. Though I do pay to have my wheaten groomed 4 times a year.

Irish Setter

Kerry Blue Terrier

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Siberian Husky

Akita

For the first three of them, can't face the grooming requirements, and for the other two, don't want to work that hard at training. Love the look and the idea of owning these breeds, fall down on the reality of living with them.

I currently have a wheaten terrier and had an Irish setter as a kid neither are what I would consider particularly onerous in the grooming stakes. Five to 10 minutes every other day is all it takes to keep the coat in good condition. Though I do pay to have my wheaten groomed 4 times a year.

Can't speak for all Akitas, but honestly, I've never had an easier dog to train and live with than my Akita. I don't trust him off leash, as I wouldn't as a general rule with any Akita/Husky etc as to me it's not worth it, but other than that, he picks up on everything super quickly and is very easy to teach new commands/skills to.

Labrador Retriever (gotta be yellow!! :D)

Australian Shepherd (love a merle, red or blue, not too fussy!)

English Setter (orange belton preferred)

Brittany (white and orange preferred)

Beagle

Toller

Irish Wolfhound

Oops, can't count ;)

Edited by RubyStar

This is fun :)

1. GSD longcoat (of course)

2. GSD (shortcoat)

3. Saluki

4. Tibetan Terrier

5. mmmmm it gets difficult now could be any of the following - border collie, lab (only black), doberman, hung visla, flat coated retreiver, french bulldog ......so many beautiful dogs if I really had to pick a 5th out that lot I think it would go to the Flat coated retreiver :)

Can't speak for all Akitas, but honestly, I've never had an easier dog to train and live with than my Akita. I don't trust him off leash, as I wouldn't as a general rule with any Akita/Husky etc as to me it's not worth it, but other than that, he picks up on everything super quickly and is very easy to teach new commands/skills to.

My Sibe is the easiest dog in the world to live with, super easy to train general manners and basic obedience too. And if I put in some effort I reckon he'd be super reliable off leash. But if I was looking for a dog to be competitive with Sibes (or really any of the spitz breeds) would not be my first choice (same with beagles).

Edited by huski

Guest Clover

Dogue de bordeaux

Rottweiler

Great Dane

Chihuahua

Afghan Hound

#6 Standard Poodle, but that breed is a huge possibility for me in the future :). And not a looks alone pick.

Out of those 5 only 2 i would actually own, as the others are not realy suited to my lifestyle.

Edited by Clover

1. Saluki

2. Whippet

3. Pharoah Hound

4. Azawakh

5. Scottish Deerhound

Have none of these, and doubt I ever will (oh maybe a whippet). People like me whose ideal dog to live with and work with is border collies should probably just look longingly at beautiful sighthounds :(

1. Saluki

2. Whippet

3. Pharoah Hound

4. Azawakh

5. Scottish Deerhound

Have none of these, and doubt I ever will (oh maybe a whippet). People like me whose ideal dog to live with and work with is border collies should probably just look longingly at beautiful sighthounds :(

Why? My passion is Border Collies too but I have a Whippet as well and she fits in perfectly with the Borders. In fact she rules the roost. We all adore the wicked Whippet herelove.gif

Border Collie

Border Collie

Border Collie

Border Collie

and 5th would be a tie between Border Collie and Whippet

You beat me to it benshiva. Except for the Whippet. :laugh:

Border Collie

Papillon

Golden Retriever

Border Terrier

Japanese Spitz, 6 m/o puppy has grown on me. Originally wouldn't have thought of because of colour.

Umm what temperment, coat and health problems??????????

I admit the problems are mostly mine ie what I have trouble dealing with or not suited to my lifestyle and what I want to do by way of dog sports.

I do love whippets for more than their good looks but not sure if they are robust enough for life with me. And I'm not sure how much they enjoy precision dog training eg agilty (I know some do agilty with them) but they are lovely schmoozers. My friend's pair have major health problems at the moment with stiff joints and strange lump things (cancers/cysts/fatty lumps) but they are both quite old so I guess that's fair enough. Whippets are more of a sprint dog and less of an endurance dog and I'm more of a plodder and less of a sprinter - which isn't a problem for the whippet of course.

They may be an option for my next dog when I decide 22kg (current dog) is too heavy for me to lift. I don't know what frail people do when their big dog needs help getting into the car for whatever reason.

Sorry to digress.

I also think Pharoah hounds are gorgeous but not sure if I'd have the patience to train them.