If You Were Choosing A Breed On Looks Alone...

aussielover

Umm what temperment, coat and health problems??????????

I admit the problems are mostly mine ie what I have trouble dealing with or not suited to my lifestyle and what I want to do by way of dog sports.

I do love whippets for more than their good looks but not sure if they are robust enough for life with me. And I'm not sure how much they enjoy precision dog training eg agilty (I know some do agilty with them) but they are lovely schmoozers. My friend's pair have major health problems at the moment with stiff joints and strange lump things (cancers/cysts/fatty lumps) but they are both quite old so I guess that's fair enough. Whippets are more of a sprint dog and less of an endurance dog and I'm more of a plodder and less of a sprinter - which isn't a problem for the whippet of course.

They may be an option for my next dog when I decide 22kg (current dog) is too heavy for me to lift. I don't know what frail people do when their big dog needs help getting into the car for whatever reason.

Sorry to digress.

I also think Pharoah hounds are gorgeous but not sure if I'd have the patience to train them.

Weeellllll I am thinking that you may just have the wrong end of the stick :D

Could your dog hit something solid at top speed sommersault get up and after a few minutes, act like it never happened? Could they sommersault over each or when trying to get a ball and not even miss a beat? My Dobes wouldn't have. When myself and a couple of friends have our dogs out together very occassionally such things happen - well if you run into a GR she isn't going to move! They just about have a heart attack and comment how their dogs wouldn't get up if they did the same thing.

Rommi went to her first trials and gained a pass in JD and AD with a novice handler, Lewis was close but a small error once on his behalf, once on mine, cost him a pass at his first trials. They also do very well in obedience and do some very prcises work. Lewis just gained his CCD with a 97, 91 (the day after his ET) and a 97 - two first places.

I am sorry your friend is having health issues with her Whippets I know a few and it is rare for them to have any major health issues.

Rommi is more of a sprint dog but can also go on a 10km walk without any issues. Lewis is more an obedience dog and gained and trained for his ET easily. So yes many Whippets are more a sprint dog, but you can certainly get others who have more endurance.

Anyway sorry about going OT but I had to clear those things up :D

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aussie Shepherd

Pit Bull

Airedale

Bull Terrier

Rough Collie

ETA: Bernese Mountain dog, Maremma, Anatolian Shepherd, Rottweiller, Dobermann, Great Dane and Boxer are all breeds I absolutely love the look of also......meh, I just love dogs :laugh:

Edited by Aussie3

Umm what temperment, coat and health problems??????????

I admit the problems are mostly mine ie what I have trouble dealing with or not suited to my lifestyle and what I want to do by way of dog sports.

I do love whippets for more than their good looks but not sure if they are robust enough for life with me. And I'm not sure how much they enjoy precision dog training eg agilty (I know some do agilty with them) but they are lovely schmoozers. My friend's pair have major health problems at the moment with stiff joints and strange lump things (cancers/cysts/fatty lumps) but they are both quite old so I guess that's fair enough. Whippets are more of a sprint dog and less of an endurance dog and I'm more of a plodder and less of a sprinter - which isn't a problem for the whippet of course.

They may be an option for my next dog when I decide 22kg (current dog) is too heavy for me to lift. I don't know what frail people do when their big dog needs help getting into the car for whatever reason.

Sorry to digress.

I also think Pharoah hounds are gorgeous but not sure if I'd have the patience to train them.

Weeellllll I am thinking that you may just have the wrong end of the stick :D

Could your dog hit something solid at top speed sommersault get up and after a few minutes, act like it never happened? Could they sommersault over each or when trying to get a ball and not even miss a beat? My Dobes wouldn't have. When myself and a couple of friends have our dogs out together very occassionally such things happen - well if you run into a GR she isn't going to move! They just about have a heart attack and comment how their dogs wouldn't get up if they did the same thing.

Rommi went to her first trials and gained a pass in JD and AD with a novice handler, Lewis was close but a small error once on his behalf, once on mine, cost him a pass at his first trials. They also do very well in obedience and do some very prcises work. Lewis just gained his CCD with a 97, 91 (the day after his ET) and a 97 - two first places.

I am sorry your friend is having health issues with her Whippets I know a few and it is rare for them to have any major health issues.

Rommi is more of a sprint dog but can also go on a 10km walk without any issues. Lewis is more an obedience dog and gained and trained for his ET easily. So yes many Whippets are more a sprint dog, but you can certainly get others who have more endurance.

Anyway sorry about going OT but I had to clear those things up :D

Stop making me want a Whippet :laugh: I dont know if there still competeing but there were a couple of Whippets in Vic with there UD and ET titles.

Lab

Golden

Aussie

Britney

Vizsla

Im a little biased with the first two but the other 3 I could easily own :)

Aussie Shepherd

Pit Bull

Airedale

Bull Terrier

Rough Collie

Sorry to break the flow. But good on you for putting the much maligned Pit Bull on your list. :thumbsup:

A lost female Pit Bull once turned up at our place (along with her sweet, ditzy spaniel friend).

She was a beautiful looking dog, glorious colour & healthy coat. Also biddable, intelligent and very affectionate.

One of the nicest dogs I've met.

We all know you shouldn't choose a dogs based on looks alone

but if nothing else was a consideration I absolutely love the look of

Aussie Shepherds

Salukis

Great Danes

Siberian Huskies

Maremma Sheepdogs

Unfortunately only the aussie would be even somewhat suitable for my current lifestyle and abilities.

Border Collies - just because I have to say that and they actually are the coolest!

Coolies - pretty, petit and just all round gorgeous.

Grey Hounds - majestic, especially in full flight.

Bearded Collie - sooooo cool.

Saluki's - just love the goofy sense of humour look they have about them.

What a tricky question, and so interesting to see how much variety there is in everyone's responses!

For me...

Puli

Scottish Terrier

Saluki

Miniature Schnauzer

Boston Terrier

So many others as well, it's pretty tough to narrow it down to only 5! :)

Purely for looks only, English Setters top of the list, and I'll get really technical, I'll say UK lines top the Field type and the American type for preferred look.

then:

Weimaraners

Gordon & Irish Setters

irish Water Spaniels

Lowchen

There are a lot more but these top my list for looks.

Edited by SparkyTansy

Aussie Shepherd

Pit Bull

Airedale

Bull Terrier

Rough Collie

Sorry to break the flow. But good on you for putting the much maligned Pit Bull on your list. :thumbsup:

A lost female Pit Bull once turned up at our place (along with her sweet, ditzy spaniel friend).

She was a beautiful looking dog, glorious colour & healthy coat. Also biddable, intelligent and very affectionate.

One of the nicest dogs I've met.

That's been my experience too mita. Obviously I cannot own one living in Vic, but if I could I'd be out getting one tomorrow. I love the way they look and have never met a bad one :)

Just on looks alone -

Afghan

Rough Collie

Aust. Silky

Gordon Setter

Miniature Pinscher.

Woops, all breeds I have had over the years so guess character also comes into it. Love the coated breeds and a good Min Pin, moving correctly is certainly 'King of the Toys'.

Saluki

Blue Picardy Spaniel

Newfoundland

Rough collie

Shetland Sheepdog

The first four I will never own, even though I love their temperament, and I don't think the Blue Picardy Spaniel is available in Australia? I saw one in France and he was the most stunning dog, but the last one (sheltie) is a real possibility for the future.

I love the floppy eared breeds and if they are semi fluffy or big and fluffy with floppy ears, I'm won over.

Edited by Ripley

Guest donatella

Finnish Lapphund

Newfoundland

Bernese Mountain Dog

Alaskan Malamute

Samoyed

I love those big fluffers! My little fluffers are beautiful too though :D

:cheer: to the fluff :heart: