Donations --asking For Help

Guest muttrus

I was hoping to clarify the 'goods' donation bit though, instead of cash.

Me, too, Anne. I've never been sure about the status of 'goods' as donations.

Or even what's counted as 'goods'. Surely it can't be things like food. AWL Qld has bins at various supermarkets which attract generous donations of food, treats, toys from the public. But, for the sake of argument, what if something 'big' is donated like a brand new freezer?

If you are donating anything at all to a charity which has tax deductible status its able to be counted as a tax deductible donation and when goods are donated its classified goods in kind and its able to be entered in and out as a tax deductible donation. If you are donating to a charity its a simple case of asking for a tax deductible receipt but not all non profits are charities and not many have tax deductible gift recipient status.

Pacers has pallet loads of dog and cat food donated and Eukanuba claim it all as a tax deduction. When someone is donating anon of course its not possible to be able to issue them with a receipt.

Meh, is that even if you do not actively seek donations of any type? To my knowledge, the things I was given were gifts not donations.

Not sure if you recall the text on my website that you created for my rescue. There was never any mention of needs, wish lists, donations or anything remotely similar.

People would really need to contact their states Licencing authority, I'd hate to give out the wrong information, although most of it seems to be on the website.