Silent Rescue

What a beautiful thread. I would also like to thank my husband for everything he does for the fosters in our household.

I remember some years ago asking hubbie if I could have my first foster dog. His reply was "why would you want another dog when we already have two of our own"?? He’s come a long way since then by helping me set up my own rescue and supporting me 110%. He is often quietly in the background doing the majority of vet runs, driving to pounds to collect the dogs, shopping for their food, cooking and feeding them, mopping up, picking up and he is FOREVER washing blankets!! Not only that he is very proactive on the internet and radio advocating the need for people to open their eyes and think about going to shelters or rescue. When a previous foster destroyed a fair portion of our furniture his attitude was how lucky we’d been having so many dogs through our household and yet this was the first incident. As I say, he’s come a long, long way since sprouting forth venom over a pile of poo on the carpet. :D

On dear :laugh: dont mention the toilet training phase!

A number of times my husband has woken up in the middle of the night to get a glass of water and while in bed I hear "S#!T!"

I am up early, my first thing of the day is checking the house for any accidents a newbie may have left overnight.

I love my crates!

Bless our fantastic families!

I'd like to add my wonderful neighbours as well.When I was fostering greyhounds they always kept an eye on them when I was out.When I fostered Maddie (now foster failure number 2)I had to go to work the next day.Maddie was crying in the backyard so my beautiful neighbour Renee came over and sat with her.Turns out Renee had sat with her for over an hour until I came home.I was really touched that she was so caring. :)

Great thread!

I'd like to add my partner and his family too! I live in his parents house with him and his younger sister and they are all so accommodating of my 2 dogs and 1 extra foster dog.

But my partner is wonderful. He often comes to the pound with me to check out a dog, he helps with the vet trips and admin medication (if necc). He enjoys walking them with me and laughing at their silly antics. Each time one is rehomed he has an "aww.. he/she can't stay?!" but understands we can't keep them all! My current foster has a potential home in Brisbane and he suggested we drive him there to make sure everything goes ok... we live in Sydney!

I agree with the thoughts in this thread wholeheartedly - my husband was always a wonderful support through my years in rescue and my kids long-suffering pound visitors. In hindsight, however, I wish that I balanced the two (family & rescue) better as it is now obvious that whilst they supported me they also resented it.

So I say, as one who has left rescue now, to be sure to take the time to balance both and to be aware, more than I was, of how quickly the time with your small children passes so that you don't wake up one day and realise that you remember very little of when your youngest was a baby as you were so busy rescuing dogs. :)

Yep I'll ditto those above. My long-suffering husband has gone from a person who had a family dog and nothing then until we were married several years ago, to busy household with dogs and horses. He doggy-sits, feeds, locks up, baths, voluntarily does poo patrol, picks up from pounds, takes to vets, etc with little complaint (well maybe a bit here and there but he doesn't really mean it). And he has accepted the odd bit of house that has been rearranged by the odd foster having a chew. Now-days he actually shows concern for dogs that are on death row, spoils the fosters far more than they should be and still helps out at the drop of the hat. And he does all this with a serious health condition.

He is wonderful and I feel very lucky that he is a part of my family.

I have to back that up Rae Malcolm is an absolute gem, you both also do a lot of temp care also.

I have to now acknowledge my hubby who agreed to take 'just this one foster' 6 years ago and we have now fostered nearly 50. He loves them and cares for them, he always sets up the crates to be ultra luxurious. He helps with every aspect of fostering.

To my gorgeous hubby Jez I love you and thank you.

I also have to thank my 4 kids who also help with the fosters and love going to the pound and helping the needy hounds.

I'm the only human at my house - but my 3 permanent furkids help me with the fosters way more than they are ever given credit for.

Zeddy plays Mumma Dog - teaching the littlies their limits socially...

Trouble teaches them to live each moment like it's their last - zoomies is a big fave around here!

Pickles teaches them that even dogs with disabilities can play and be part of the pack.

I just feed them and clean up the messes really... *grin*... well - there is "couch cuddles" - a VERY important lesson for any dog... hehe!

T.

TD same here - I'm the lone hooman too but the westies are very very tolerant of the rescues - and Sarebear is definitely boss and teacher - she teaches zomies, pack structure, - and manners! She gives low little growls to anyone who dares put their paws on the coffee table.

But I must thank my Mum - she doesn't roll her eyes any more when the next foster/rescue arrives, babysits dogs new to the house or newly home from the vet, drives 30 - 35 minutes to my place to step in to the dinner- time routine at the last minute when I caught t work, does vet pick-ups if I can't get there... You get the drift.

And then there's my two absolutely fantastic friends who with me pretty much make-up Westie Rescue SA - it's an amazing, seamless, cooperative partnership. It amazes me how we re all on the same page - and not just with our rescues and rehomes but with our own dogs too.

Great thread - thanks fr the reminder to thank them all -again. :)

Edited by westiemum

Great thread.

I agree wholeheartedly. There should certainly be an award with recognition for these silent helpers.

I thank my long suffering hubby for the times on Xmas eve, Xmas day, New Years eve, New Years day (0800) when there have been urgent calls for rescue, problems with foster, adoption calls, surrender calls, Hubby hasn't thrown my phone in the loo (or the computer). He has trekked out to kennels on his weekends. 4 out of 5 days of precious annual leave spent on transporting dogs to and from transport, kennels, vet, foster carers. He puts up with my moods when I am frustrated, angry or upset by the phone calls, emails, pounds or owners.

Certainly would be a lonelier and more difficult task without these vital people in our lives - and I agree it sometimes warrants remembering that they, and our own animals, should remain the priority. Which sometimes gets forgotten in the overwhelming volume of emails, phone calls and tasks.

I agree with the thoughts in this thread wholeheartedly - my husband was always a wonderful support through my years in rescue and my kids long-suffering pound visitors. In hindsight, however, I wish that I balanced the two (family & rescue) better as it is now obvious that whilst they supported me they also resented it.

So I say, as one who has left rescue now, to be sure to take the time to balance both and to be aware, more than I was, of how quickly the time with your small children passes so that you don't wake up one day and realise that you remember very little of when your youngest was a baby as you were so busy rescuing dogs. :)

This is so true Trisven, balance is very important, I am learning my way.

While years ago the kids came along with me to the pound during school holidays with their little luchboxes, toys and pencils it was not ideal. They did enjoy it, though I always felt guilty and they were quite a distraction for me.

So no more time at the pound during school holidays. Today we went to see Happy Feet 2, got new school shoes and had lunch together.

Hannah, my youngest, once home dressed in her full school uniform to "break" her new shoes in bless her, I will be lucky to get her bathed and in PJ's tonight!

Great thread.

I agree wholeheartedly. There should certainly be an award with recognition for these silent helpers.

I thank my long suffering hubby for the times on Xmas eve, Xmas day, New Years eve, New Years day (0800) when there have been urgent calls for rescue, problems with foster, adoption calls, surrender calls, Hubby hasn't thrown my phone in the loo (or the computer). He has trekked out to kennels on his weekends. 4 out of 5 days of precious annual leave spent on transporting dogs to and from transport, kennels, vet, foster carers. He puts up with my moods when I am frustrated, angry or upset by the phone calls, emails, pounds or owners.

Certainly would be a lonelier and more difficult task without these vital people in our lives - and I agree it sometimes warrants remembering that they, and our own animals, should remain the priority. Which sometimes gets forgotten in the overwhelming volume of emails, phone calls and tasks.

Gorgeous! I just love reading through these posts.

We are very, very lucky to be supported by so many beautiful people :)

I must say that my neighbours are pretty awesome - on both sides...

On one side they have set up a ladder at the fence so that the young lad can watch my foster pups playing in the yard - he's a great kid, and we also have chats over the fence... *grin*

T.

Great thread.

Well we do have a youth award and a Junior award and a Contribution to canine life award and 3 rescue awards - what category do we need to add next year to cover this so you can do exactly this?

Aww, reading all these posts makes me think I have lucked out in the supportive husband stakes.

Mine never liked cats, now he absolutely hates them. Isn't so fond of dogs now either. Constantly complains that the house smells like pee or poo and how he can't have anyone over as there are too many animals. Over reacts every time an animal goes to the toilet like he is being gassed. Tells me everyone thinks I am mad. Refuses to help with anything cat or dog related, then complains that I am spending too much time cleaning up after them and not spending enough time wih my family. He just fixed all the outdoor lights our last foster dog ate and I have had to agree to never having another foster dog. He now has the audacity to ask me to take a whole 3 months break when the last foster cat is rehomed.

Is there a shelter where I can return my husband and get another one?

I'd rehome the husband and get another foster pet. :laugh: You could always put him in the free to a good home advertisements.

Mine is very supportive and we would have so many dogs and cats if I took every one he hears about.

I do all the work with them though....his support doesnt extend to that.

He will play with them and cuddle them though and pay for anything that is needed.

Makes a difference.He doesnt complain which is important too.

It would be awful to try and work in rescue if you had someone who did not support you or was actively against it.