Endurance Test 2012

Hi M & other ET'ers :D havent been here for a while & thought I better touch base,

I think I might have started something in the Obed club I am with, as I have had 2 other members ask me about whats involved in doing ET, they now have decided to do it this year with a GSP & Malamute :laugh: this will be fun as I am putting our Pappy Bitch in , etxra training for me to get her up to pace :laugh:

we are looking at either the Hungarain Vizsla club or Sale, this all rides on our bitch to when she comes into season ( she has been all over the place)

Just as well I have a bike rack that takes 4 bikes & a 4 berth trailer, gunna need them :rofl:

Our other 2 Pappies will start their ET training next year to compete

Cant wait to start training again, as you know M our Melb weather is all over the place :(

Hi murve,

how about petitioning your club to look into hosting an ET?

The more profile this discipline can get, the more popular it will become.

Happy to provide any info to you or to your club.

M

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi M, I will bring it up at our next committee meeting & see if we get it going, would be great :D, I will let you know how it goes :D

thanks for the offer & your guidance would be great :D

Happy to help any way I can. BTW, which is your club?

M

I am with Westerport Dog Odeiencee Club, our club rooms are at the Park, we train Tues nights & Sun mornings :D

Oh lord just picked up another 2 ppl with Whippets that have asked me to help them train :laugh: one whippet has no probs with the bike just the handler very unfit :laugh: the other whippet will take a bit of work, never been near a bike.

I have read the thread of introducing a dog to the bike so I have taken it onboard & will work on them slowly & sedately with a bit of style :rofl:

I am with Westerport Dog Odeiencee Club, our club rooms are at the Park, we train Tues nights & Sun mornings :D

Oh lord just picked up another 2 ppl with Whippets that have asked me to help them train :laugh: one whippet has no probs with the bike just the handler very unfit :laugh: the other whippet will take a bit of work, never been near a bike.

I have read the thread of introducing a dog to the bike so I have taken it onboard & will work on them slowly & sedately with a bit of style :rofl:

I belonged to WODC back in the 1990's! Showing my age now! :eek:

Very easy to set a course around the park. I did that for the Vizsla Club many many years ago.

Let me know if your club is interested.

M

Will do M :D

I remember the course we did last year there with Gordon Parsons, I might get them to do a bit of traing before classes starts :laugh: on a Sun Morning, that will be interesting

the best part or should I say the worst part of helping to train these 2 whippets neither have done a stick of Obedience :eek: one is 21/2 yrs, the other Whippet is the sibling to mine, they are 4yrs :)

It's a shame our club is so far from everything it would be great to hold an ET and with a more members showing interest it would save us having to travel :laugh:

May I ask SS where abouts (district) do you live, it sounds like you are in the sticks somewhere :D

as M has said talk to your club & see what you can do try & get as much interest from other members to do a Endurance trial :D

We are out at Horsham not sure if many people would drive all the way out here when they are are a number of ET's around Melbourne. Might just end up like Sale with next to no interest from others :(

With only one ET in South Australia, it is possible that Horsham could attract entries from both SA and Vic.

It is worth a try to talk to your club and see if the interest is there.

M

Abbiestar the info on your page is really great thank you.

I am wondering if you could give a breakdown on how you begin a dog off a bike? I have a female 9 weeks out from whelping her maiden litter who is reasonably fit considering. As I've never been to a PT for myself and the only exercise regimes have been self imposed do you have any guidelines for starting a program for a dog from scratch?

I would like to aim for the May Trial so that gives us 4 months to prepare, which I imagine would be enough for 20kms broken into three legs. So what is a good program to follow. Ie. 10 mins every night for a week with increasing time increments over the weeks. Or 3 times a week. Or once a week? We are starting out in tracking also so to aim for the prelim track trial would be a nice bonus, so we'd need a program that would accomodate for other training plus the fact that I have an almost 12 month old son so I can't always get out on a bike every night (the idea of training for me is time out from motherhood, so no baby bike seats for us! HAHA)

Also do you train with a speedometer and keep to 10kms per hour as much as possible? Or do you only impose speed training at a certain fitness level?

Oh and do you prefer collar or harness?

I don't want to use my tracking harness as specific equipment to signal specific work intentions is something I like to be mindful of. Hence I would either buy a different harness or specific collar for the job to indicate to my dog she is expected to run long distance when I put it on (ro do you think in this case pulling out the bike is enough of a signal that the collar used is made redundant as a signal?)

Also do you train with a speedometer and keep to 10kms per hour as much as possible? Or do you only impose speed training at a certain fitness level?

I used a speedo right from the start. My GSD passed her ET after 10 weeks training, my smaller crossbreed had 12 weeks. It is way too hot up this way to do much before March and I actually prefer not to start until April.

My plan is to train after sunset with the bike as we walk in the mornings with the pram.

Ok another question - please don't roll your eyes - but when I train my horses on hard surfaces we use neoprene boots to prevent tendon damage from jarring. Does anyone wrap, bandage or boot their dogs for training on roads for an enduro test?

And I can't seem to find ratios of hard/ soft surface requirements for an ET. Is there a minimal amount of hard road work required for each test and what are the % levels if yes? Trying to work out how much training we do of both surfaces.

Oh and do you prefer collar or harness?

I don't want to use my tracking harness as specific equipment to signal specific work intentions is something I like to be mindful of. Hence I would either buy a different harness or specific collar for the job to indicate to my dog she is expected to run long distance when I put it on (ro do you think in this case pulling out the bike is enough of a signal that the collar used is made redundant as a signal?)

Hi Saffioraire,

welcome to the ET thread. Happy to answer all your questions (and more), and will start with the easy one first! :)

I prefer a collar. A harness generally goes around the chest and body of the dog which is the STRONGEST part of the dog's body. You will have much more control of the dog by being able to LEAD the dog from the neck, rather than the dog DRAG you by using the full force and strength in his body.

Correction collars are not allowed, so a regular leather or nylon webbing collar is ideal.

M

My plan is to train after sunset with the bike as we walk in the mornings with the pram.

Ok another question - please don't roll your eyes - but when I train my horses on hard surfaces we use neoprene boots to prevent tendon damage from jarring. Does anyone wrap, bandage or boot their dogs for training on roads for an enduro test?

And I can't seem to find ratios of hard/ soft surface requirements for an ET. Is there a minimal amount of hard road work required for each test and what are the % levels if yes? Trying to work out how much training we do of both surfaces.

No boots, badages or other impairments to distract the dog.

Dogs' pads are very hardy and they can easily cover the grounds required for an ET.

There is no set distance to cover for each of the ground surfaces, they just have to cover at least three (grass, gravel, paved).

From experience, most of the grounds covered are paved, with gravel and grass being covered in lesser distances.

M

THANK YOU! biggrin.gif

My plan is to go and suss out bikes tomorrow and start straight away - training myself anyway! I can't see I'll need to pull the dog as my fitness needs more work than hers but we can do a basic collar, that's all we use for everyday anyway.

Oh exciting!

Abbiestar the info on your page is really great thank you.

I am wondering if you could give a breakdown on how you begin a dog off a bike? I have a female 9 weeks out from whelping her maiden litter who is reasonably fit considering. As I've never been to a PT for myself and the only exercise regimes have been self imposed do you have any guidelines for starting a program for a dog from scratch?

I would like to aim for the May Trial so that gives us 4 months to prepare, which I imagine would be enough for 20kms broken into three legs. So what is a good program to follow. Ie. 10 mins every night for a week with increasing time increments over the weeks. Or 3 times a week. Or once a week? We are starting out in tracking also so to aim for the prelim track trial would be a nice bonus, so we'd need a program that would accomodate for other training plus the fact that I have an almost 12 month old son so I can't always get out on a bike every night (the idea of training for me is time out from motherhood, so no baby bike seats for us! HAHA)

Hi,

Me again!

Thank you for the comments on the ET info on my website. I think it breaks the requirements down very easily and I have written it specifically for the uninitiated to get a full basic understanding of the ET and what is involved. (Those that have not seen it are welcome to go to www.abbiestar.net and click on "Endurance Test").

If you were to start now, you would be more than ready for the ET in May.

Start off by getting your dog used to the bike. This can start by walking the dog whilst wheeling the bike alongside. The bike would be positioned between you and the dog as you walk. Once the dog accepts the presence of the bike, you can then start riding it with the dog alongside.

Smaller distances are best to get the dog comfortable with you and the bike moving as one. Go only to the end of your street and back in the first few training sessions.

When the dog is really comfortable with this you can extend the distances. Ideally the pace should be approximately that of a show gait for a larger breed. If you have a speedo on your bike, average around 10-11 kph, if not, stick to the 'show gait' speed.

Practice riding also without the dog. You too will need a reasonable level of fitness and should also have good control of the bike. (Some good padded cycling shorts would also be an idea for your own comfort!).

Dogs recover very quickly from exercise, so with the mandatory break periods between the three separate legs of the ET, they will be well rested and eager to continue.

Try to train approximately 4 or 5 times a week. Ride on the road, around the local football oval, or along a gravel track. This will introduce you and the dog to the different ground surfaces you will be expected to cover in the test. Over time, build up to 6 kilometres a session. When you and the dog are proficient in covering this amount of kilometres in one session without tiring, you will be ready.

And don't worry about the willingness test. This is the easy part and does not need to be of trialling standard.

M

THANK YOU! biggrin.gif

My plan is to go and suss out bikes tomorrow and start straight away - training myself anyway! I can't see I'll need to pull the dog as my fitness needs more work than hers but we can do a basic collar, that's all we use for everyday anyway.

Oh exciting!

When looking for a bike, remember, despite how good they look and how light they are, you do not need the $$$$$$ carbon framed road bike! :laugh:

A mountain bike is a better option for the ET. Preferably, one with gears and a good seat (consider cycling shorts again).

Many ET'ers have had great success from bikes they have bought from Aldi, or garage sales for around $50!

Good luck, and keep us posted on your discoveries!

M

THANK YOU! biggrin.gif

Oh exciting!

When looking for a bike, remember, despite how good they look and how light they are, you do not need the $$$ carbon framed road bike! :laugh:

A mountain bike is a better option for the ET. Preferably, one with gears and a good seat (consider cycling shorts again).

Many ET'ers have had great success from bikes they have bought from Aldi, or garage sales for around $50!

Good luck, and keep us posted on your discoveries!

M

Here here M, I have ende up with 4 mountain bikes, 1 off Ebay about $40.00, 2 from garage sales, the 4th was given to us :laugh: we have both 24" & 26" bikes

Oh Micheal, ran the thought of our club running a ET past the Secratary tonight, she was a bit iffy at 1st, but another lady jumped in & said she could help witha vet & steward helpers, the secratary then thought it could be a good idea. :crossfingers: