Over Excited Newf Puppy

alli78

Just wondering if any one can offer any advice, I have a 7 month old Newfoundland who I just cant seem to stop jumping, he is quite good at not jumping on me but anybody else doesn't stand a chance!! And a bounding Newfoundland running and jumping over people can be quite daunting to most

Teach a lightning sit with a stay. Make a game of it to see how fast he can sit and work on how long he can stay. Practice in all different situations and at different distances so he will respond no matter what the distraction.

No dog can sit and jump at the same time. :D

Great post Dancinbcs. Can you enlist the help of a couple of friends and have them come over and when he jumps or runs at them they turn their back to the pup. The need to ignore him completely until he is calm not even a look at him from arrival until calm.

Might be best if they are good sized adults with a Newfie pup

Agree - replace jumping with sit. And remember that you are your dogs leader. YOU need to teach him not to jump on other people by giving him something else to do instead (eg the sit). This means perhaps keeping him on a lead for a while (have a lead in handy places at home near the door or gate for instance) so you have more control in those situations and being proactive to use meetings with other people as a training opportunity.Tell them not to talk or pat or even look your pup in the eye until he is sitting. Not sit, no pat.

Edited by espinay2

Great answers so far, I just wanted to say I hope you get it sorted out real soon. ( I would love to see a photo) ;)

I have been lucky my Newf is nine months and he is not a jumper thank goodness, I wouldn't want 56 kilos jumping up on me or my visitors.