Bayer Advantix Sideeffects

SamZ

2 days ago I used Advantix for the first time on our beautiful toy poodle and it made our life a misery! She is not the same any more and the feeling of guilt is killing me now! Why a company should not put anything on the packaging about possible side effects of this product: neurologic side effects!!!

I really cannot understand this, how irresponsible a company can be! What is interesting is when I called them (BAYER) yesterday the lady was absolutely aware of this terrible reaction and she said you should give her a bath in less than 24 hours and use Vitamin E on her back and keep it cool!

How on earth they can sell a product in Australia while it might make a dog badly sick or kill it, is extremely toxic to cats and also aquatic life?!

What can I do now?

Unfortunately, all drugs have side effects, doesn't mean we don't use them because the majority of the time they work well and with no side effects.

What does your vet say? What effects have actually happened? I guess recovery will be dependent on what has actually happened and the individual dog but I'd be wanting to see what your vet has to say.

Sorry this has happened to your dog! :(

Unfortunately, all drugs have side effects, doesn't mean we don't use them because the majority of the time they work well and with no side effects.

What does your vet say? What effects have actually happened? I guess recovery will be dependent on what has actually happened and the individual dog but I'd be wanting to see what your vet has to say.

Sorry this has happened to your dog! :(

This. Unfortunately every dog can have a different reaction to every flea and tick product out there, I've heard it about Frontline, and Comfortis, but different reactions. Unfortunately you won't really know until you try. I'm allergic to penicillen but my parents didn't know until they tried to use it on me.

I use Advantix with no issue (20kg dog), and my workmate can on one of her two dogs (15kg) but the other (55kg) goes crazy, literally scratching herself on brick walls to get it off - so she can't use that product anymore. I feel weight sometimes plays a part, I've heard about more issues with Advantix and little dogs than big dogs.

I would talk to your vet about your options, and maybe scrutinise the ingredients on any future flea/tick treatments and not use any that have the same ingredients as Advantix (Permoxin for example shares or has a very similar ingredient)

I'm sorry that this has happened to you.

2 days ago I used Advantix for the first time on our beautiful toy poodle and it made our life a misery! She is not the same any more and the feeling of guilt is killing me now! Why a company should not put anything on the packaging about possible side effects of this product: neurologic side effects!!!

I really cannot understand this, how irresponsible a company can be! What is interesting is when I called them (BAYER) yesterday the lady was absolutely aware of this terrible reaction and she said you should give her a bath in less than 24 hours and use Vitamin E on her back and keep it cool!

How on earth they can sell a product in Australia while it might make a dog badly sick or kill it, is extremely toxic to cats and also aquatic life?!

What can I do now?

where did you purchase the product? How long ago was your dog vaccinated? How long ago did your dog have heart worm meds.

Guest lavendergirl

There have been adverse reactions reported with Advantix use in poodles and bichons - which is why I use Frontline. I only stumbled across the information after doing my own research - my vet recommended I use Advantix!

Sorry this has happened to your little poodle - what symptoms has she? Has your vet given any prognosis?

Edited by lavendergirl

What can I do now?

Use something that works for your situation? :shrug:

I don't really see what the drama is, to be honest. Products with with actual active ingredients (as opposed to the "natural" crap, although that can be even more dangerous anyway) all come with the risk of drug allergies and/or side effects.

I've been using Bayer products for parasite control since I first got a greyhound and for all the foster dogs we've had since, we've never had problems and the efficacy has been awesome.

Side effects suck but I'm not sure what you're going for here. I think you'll find any company that manufactures parasite prevention products for animals are already well aware of potential side effects (because these thing are always tested first) and staff on the phones are instructed to advise people with problems the best way of dealing with the problem for minor reactions (which obviously is to wash the product off).

What side effects is your dog actually exhibiting, anyway?

You make mention of neurological side effects but it sounds like you asked Bayer for advice to treat a skin reaction to the product.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt so I'm going to assume you've just not mentioned something and the neurological business isn't just something you found on Google while searching for "Advantix side effects".

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/195601-my-toy-poodle-shakes-his-head/page__p__4520504__fromsearch__1#entry452050

Is this the same dog

Its a chemical,all of those products come with risks.

The worse one we know for skin reactions & burning is frontline .

As far as toxic for cats many dog products are but many people never read the instructions either or guidelines for reactions .

Edited by showdog

ok this is what happened: first it started with irritation so that she has to scratch her back all the time (until now after two days), then she stopped walking and she just sits on her bed or wherever I put her on for long time. then the fever started (few hours ago) and she is breathing very fast so I'm using wet towel to keep her temperature down. I took her to the vet this morning and he just did an injection for his back irritation and also to make her calm. He said just keep an eye on her and try to control her temperature (39.6) and if fever doesn't go away in the next 24 hours then bring her back. He said her body is trying to demount the poison and fever is the reaction. now she also looks so nervous and scared and bite her tail or scratch her back once a while.

She has never used Advantix before but had no problem with Advocate in past, the reason I used Advantix was the area we just moved to and I heard tick is an common issue here for dogs.

I bought Advantix (4-10 KG) from Petbarn and she is 5 KG. We have two toy poodles and Bobby (our other dog) had no problem with Advantix. She is not on any other medicine and they had their annual C5 vaccination in July 2011.

What made me pissed off is why there nothing in packaging regarding possible side effects of this flea/tick treatment. Then I can make decision to use it for my beloved dogs or not plus there is nothing to say what you should do if this happens and so on.

http://www.bayeranimal.com.au/PDFViewer/DocumentDisplayPage.aspx?CurrentDocumentID=3jQGBUgArS9U6w43Z0j8ZQ%3d%3d

The info label on the product - and I know its there as I checked my box mentions side effects. Of course its not practical to list every single different observed side effect of a medication - no difference to labelling on human medications.

Advantix is good for tick prevention, and if you live in a tick area (as I do too), you need to use something.

Try a Preventic collar, rather than a topical application on this dog, when the symptoms settle down.

Hope your dog recovers quickly.

Thanks everyone for comments, she is finally much better now and fever is gone. What I know is I will never use Bayer products again and have to do more research before using a products on our little dogs regardless of how good the marketing of a company is or their advertisements looks.

You have to be logical.....you're putting a chemical on your dog, some dogs are going to have reactions.

Not wanting to sound rude, but that statement is uncalled for…

For the record, and for those nay-sayers that are carrying on like there is not a problem, there IS a problem

We, along with 2 other retailers I know of have withdrawn Advantix for sale, and WILL NOT re-stock it, period

Having to refund 7 customers in less than 3 weeks due to adverse reactions, outside of what is normally expected says to me something is not right

And to get the run around from Bayer, well easy fixed… We will not sell this product, and eventually remove all Bayer product

from sale, and as per above. We are not the only ones doing this

To have a manufacturer basically say, these things happen when customers are banging there heads on the wall getting the same response is not acceptable

You have to be logical.....you're putting a chemical on your dog, some dogs are going to have reactions.

For the record, and for those nay-sayers that are carrying on like there is not a problem, there IS a problem

We, along with 2 other retailers I know of have withdrawn Advantix for sale, and WILL NOT re-stock it, period

Having to refund 7 customers in less than 3 weeks due to adverse reactions, outside of what is normally expected says to me something is not right

And to get the run around from Bayer, well easy fixed… We will not sell this product, and eventually remove all Bayer product

To have a manufacturer basically say, these things happen when customers are banging there heads on the wall getting the same response is not acceptable

Has there been a change to the formula for Bayer products?

Guest lavendergirl

I agree that some people are not showing much sympathy towards the OP. There was an article in the American Scientific Journal going back a year or so reporting that Advantix had caused bad reactions in small dogs in particular. It is not just a case of not putting any chemical on your dogs but which chemicals have been shown to more likely cause problems. I won't use Advantix on my Bichon because this is one breed that was mentioned as experiencing bad side effects along with poodles.