"tea Cup" Pomeranian

So I have a friend of a friend looking for a "tea cup" pomeranian. But is having no luck finding one. I said that is because there is no such thing and that many people sell the runts of litters as "tea cups" and put the high price tags on them to make money. So I suggested going on dogzonline contacting some breeders and asking to go on a waiting list for a smaller pomeranian of a litter. Well instead I get an emailing informing me otherwise that they are real with a website to look at.

I went on there are these dogs real? The price tag is ridiculous but the pictures of the dogs don't look real at all they look like toys?!??

Sorry I am only new to the whole registered breeding world because I too once thought tea cup poodles were real and was looking for one only to find out what I have. I get many people asking me if my girl is a "tea cup" and I say no, I have had one lady ask and then tell her little girl no it isn't a "tea cup" like so and so. People are really uneducated I think on this, I being one of them :o .

Edited by Troy
Link removed

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poms are supposed to be small anyway and most people that label them as tea cups, really have no idea of the actual size of a well bred Pom. They'll call them teacups and miniature and swear blind they are.

Some do breed hideous little things that are bred from small parents, from small parents and with no interest in the health and welfare of the progeny.

Guest donatella

What state is she in Krystal? I've been doing my research for my next Pom and have narrowed it down to a few gorgeous breeders I can recommend.

God knows why people want the runt of the litter when the breed is small anyway

Looking at the other breeds available on that website says enough :mad There is no such breed as "teacup" anything. Your friend needs to research pomeranians and see what a correct pomeranian looks like.

Poor poor dogs on that site.

Guest donatella

oh I didn't know you couldn't post that link sorry.

They are in NSW don't think location is an issue though

I'll PM you the link of a lady who does beautiful small babies, they are striking poms and very small, I'm pretty sure she's in nsw, she is lovely I've had some email contact with her.

Eta she's a registered breeder and listed on dogsonline

Edited by donatella

Well you could perhaps cut & paste the list of dog breeds shown in the breed section at the front of DOL - just because it is written on a website, does not make it gospel :) There are miniature in some breeds ie poodle, schnauzers, bull terrier but these are registered breeds.

they have proof because there are plenty of shonky breeders out there rubbing their hands with glee at people offloading buckets of cash for ill bred, unhealthy puppies.

It's the same story with twisty cats. Something that is hideously unhealthy is a fad, being bred and people will pay for it because it's a novelty. Plenty of these types of things happening and I'm sorry but tell your friends, from me, they're suckers and do what is right in the interest of the dogs long term physical and emotional health, get a well bred one of standard size. A dog was not made to be that small and most websites sell them as handbag merchandise despite the fact they're actually a canine.

http://www.barkrescue.net/teacup.htm

There is nothing you can do or say. I have people asking me for teacup poodles a lot.

Sometimes poodles are extra small but often when they are bred based on size alone or as top priority they often have larger heads, round googly eyes & long bodies with short legs.

If they prefer this to a well balanced, elegant dog with a nice eye & poodle expression that may be a little bigger & we are talking about an inch or two only, let them get it.

I don't know what happens with the Pomeranian when size is the total focus, maybe not as bad ?

I do know that when people buy a pet pup that is advertised as teacup & collect their small puppy there are not many that say at 9 months, when the teacup has grown to normal size as often happens,you can have it back now. It can be a sales con too.

they have proof because there are plenty of shonky breeders out there rubbing their hands with glee at people offloading buckets of cash for ill bred, unhealthy puppies.

It's the same story with twisty cats. Something that is hideously unhealthy is a fad, being bred and people will pay for it because it's a novelty. Plenty of these types of things happening and I'm sorry but tell your friends, from me, they're suckers and do what is right in the interest of the dogs long term physical and emotional health, get a well bred one of standard size. A dog was not made to be that small and most websites sell them as handbag merchandise despite the fact they're actually a canine.

Some awful testimonials down the bottom of that site! Perhaps K&C's friend needs to hear a few stories like that.

Poms are supposed to be small anyway and most people that label them as tea cups, really have no idea of the actual size of a well bred Pom. They'll call them teacups and miniature and swear blind they are.

Some do breed hideous little things that are bred from small parents, from small parents and with no interest in the health and welfare of the progeny.

Spot on ;)

You know they also do this with beagles in the USA. Call them "pocket beagles" of course also "very rare". Very weedy, snipey little things with high set ears that have resulted from crossbreeding at some stage.

Go to any dog show and you will see that correct Poms are tiny things. There are so many larger BYB bred ones around now as pets that it would be easy to call the real deal "teacup".

Teacup anything can exist if you breed for size. With a small sire and dam you will get a percentage of smaller pups and that is where they start to see the $$$ signs when there is a 'fad'. Way to cash in on the smaller pup of the litter that once would have been considered to be PTS or given away in some breeds.

Here are two full sister Cavaliers from the same litter. Pick the "Teacup Cavalier".

post-27253-0-84249600-1325984308_thumb.jpg

Edited by LizT

Some awful testimonials down the bottom of that site! Perhaps K&C's friend needs to hear a few stories like that.

I emailed them the link after I read those stories :mad

The Poms you see at the shows are usually at the smaller end of the standard, too - a comment I hear about exhibits quite often is : "oh, yes but she is too small to breed from, I wouldn't risk her" so there are definitely lots of teeny, correct Poms for pet homes.