Vets All Natural - Perfect Puppy Nutrition

What is the ingredient list for the "premium choice" adult mx and how is it fed? How much product/water/meat would be combined for a 20 kg dog? This info doesn't seem to be on the VAN website?!

Hi mushka,

The Premium Choice is an 'all in one food'. There is no mixing required. It is raw, preservative free kangaroo, grains and vegetables. Basically the Complete Mix with the meat already added. The suggested feeding amount for a mature 20kg dog is 550g/day.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing I don't like is food evangelists saying what is right or wrong for dogs. The best food for a dog is the food the dog does best on. Some dogs might do very well on raw. Other dogs do not ...

Sometimes it's a case of the dog looking like he is well, happy etc. even on not the best food/diet combo possible. Sometimes it is later on that problems are revealed. So, all things being equal, I'd like to know that what I'm putting into my dog is the best quality food possible.

Sure - dogs with special needs may or may not do well on one recommended food -vs- another. But unless there was some form of advertising in places such as the DOL forum, we might not get to know about them. Think about it - perhaps we'd only know about PAL and Hills Science, as TV and Vet Clinics are often the main places that recommend and push food brands.

I enjoy talking to "the horse's mouth". It's great to hear the experiences of other people, but to question things about a product to the people who have created it is a big advantage too. IMO.

What is the ingredient list for the "premium choice" adult mx and how is it fed? How much product/water/meat would be combined for a 20 kg dog? This info doesn't seem to be on the VAN website?!

Hi mushka,

The Premium Choice is an 'all in one food'. There is no mixing required. It is raw, preservative free kangaroo, grains and vegetables. Basically the Complete Mix with the meat already added. The suggested feeding amount for a mature 20kg dog is 550g/day.

If I were to feed this to my two BC's @ 20 kilos each @ 550g/day what would that work out at, cost wise, per dog??? When I was feeding the standard one, I was feeding 1/3 cup soaked in water, not sure what that was in grams, but 550 grams dry mix sounds a lot. One of the problems I had with VAN was, that I would make the mix up with water & let it stand for 24 hours as per instructions, but in Summer time on a hot day it would develop a furry fungus & I would have to toss it to the chooks & find the dogs something else for dinner. It would worry me further if the mix had meat in it. I was told it had to ferment, like the gut of a freshly dead animal, but the furry bit was a bit off putting. I used to pay $49 for 5 kilos at Petstock, so using over 1kg a day for two dogs would be quite unaffordable.

Hi mushka,

If I were to feed this to my two BC's @ 20 kilos each @ 550g/day what would that work out at, cost wise, per dog??? When I was feeding the standard one, I was feeding 1/3 cup soaked in water, not sure what that was in grams, but 550 grams dry mix sounds a lot. One of the problems I had with VAN was, that I would make the mix up with water & let it stand for 24 hours as per instructions, but in Summer time on a hot day it would develop a furry fungus & I would have to toss it to the chooks & find the dogs something else for dinner. It would worry me further if the mix had meat in it. I was told it had to ferment, like the gut of a freshly dead animal, but the furry bit was a bit off putting. I used to pay $49 for 5 kilos at Petstock, so using over 1kg a day for two dogs would be quite unaffordable.

I live in queensland and have no problem with furry fungus with the complete mix.

The premium choice is refrigerated fresh product how can it be 550g dry?? It is ready to feed!

Hi mushka,

We are happy to answer any questions, however I will start ignoring questions from people who have made it clear that they have ulterior motives. Firstly though, I was answering mushka's question regarding Premium Choice, not Complete Mix. The feeding guidelines was for 550g of premixed meat. Yes, feeding over a kilo of straight grain mix would prove expensive ;)

I don't wish for this to turn into a VAN vs Black Hawk attacking match. We have our product that we 100% stand behind and you have yours. Please, we don't come looking for an argument in the Black Hawk thread so we would appreciate the same. I would like to avoid this http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/232758-dr-bruce-syme-in-sydney/

All genuine questions we are happy to answer.

Oh, the 'furry fungus' is not fungus, it is the seed fermenting.

Edited by Vets All Natural

Hi mushka,

We are happy to answer any questions, however I will start ignoring questions from people who have made it clear that they have ulterior motives. Firstly though, I was answering mushka's question regarding Premium Choice, not Complete Mix. The feeding guidelines was for 550g of premixed meat. Yes, feeding over a kilo of straight grain mix would prove expensive ;)

I don't wish for this to turn into a VAN vs Black Hawk attacking match. We have our product that we 100% stand behind and you have yours. Please, we don't come looking for an argument in the Black Hawk thread so we would appreciate the same. I would like to avoid this http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/232758-dr-bruce-syme-in-sydney/

All genuine questions we are happy to answer.

Oh, the 'furry fungus' is not fungus, it is the seed fermenting.

This was a genuine question & I have made it clear in my posts that VAN is my next choice of food from what I am feeding. I have only had experience with the dry VAN which you mix with water, so I think I could be forgiven to think that the Premium Choice is also a dry which you mix with water. Sorry if I have missed a post somewhere that tells me differently. I dont "have a product", I only have what I feed my dogs & if it wern't for BH I would be feeding them VANs. So I am genuinely asking you, in what form does the Premium Mix come????....is it a freshly made mix which comes refrigerated & how much would it cost me to feed my two 20 kilo BC's per week. This is a genuine question. If it is a refrigerated product, then I would have to freeze it as I live a long way from town. Sorry, but I still couldn't bring myself to feed my dogs on a mixture that looked & smelt like a very furry fungus...if this new product is a fresh product that doesn't need fermenting & is affordable & storable, then maybe you could reform me ;)

If you look on the website is does show all the foods, and prices, so you can work it out.

I like the smell, i put it in a plastic tub in the pantry, really easy, handling roo meat isnt so great :laugh:

My main gripe is price too though. :(

If you look on the website is does show all the foods, and prices, so you can work it out.

I like the smell, i put it in a plastic tub in the pantry, really easy, handling roo meat isnt so great :laugh:

But if it has fresh roo meat in it..you wouldn't put it in a plastic tub in the pantry. I am asking about the premium stuff which already has the meat added..is sit a dry mix or is it a fresh mix......maybe I should find the website & have a look, but others have said they couldn't find the info they wanted.....I will get off my butt & have a search :D

But if it has fresh roo meat in it..you wouldn't put it in a plastic tub in the pantry. I am asking about the premium stuff which already has the meat added..is sit a dry mix or is it a fresh mix......maybe I should find the website & have a look, but others have said they couldn't find the info they wanted.....I will get off my butt & have a search :D

From what I have seen the premium stuff sits in the fridge at the pet stores and is already made up.

I personally don't find it toooo expensive, but I feed my dogs less than the recommended amount. I find it great for putting condition on dogs ;). My youngest pups are the 5th generation on VAN!!

I don't feed it exclusively as I find kibble easier when going away and I use fresh veggies etc.

I am actually wondering as some of the dogs don't do amazingly well on kibble if there hasn't been some selection over those 5 generations to do well on raw rather than kibble??

Edited by Jumabaar

From what I have seen the premium stuff sits in the fridge at the pet stores and is already made up.

I personally don't find it toooo expensive, but I feed my dogs less than the recommended amount. I find it great for putting condition on dogs ;). My youngest pups are the 5th generation on VAN!!

I don't feed it exclusively as I find kibble easier when going away and I use fresh veggies etc.

I am actually wondering as some of the dogs don't do amazingly well on kibble if there hasn't been some selection over those 5 generations to do well on raw rather than kibble??

Thanks for that info....I have had a look on the website & couldn't find anything to do with prices re the Premium Mix....so how long does it last in the fridge & can I freeze it?????? What do you pay for it ????

Thanks for that info....I have had a look on the website & couldn't find anything to do with prices re the Premium Mix....so how long does it last in the fridge & can I freeze it?????? What do you pay for it ????

The pre-mixed stuff comes in a pretty small packet. 1 packet would barely feed 2 borders. I think it was pretty expensive too. Fairly sure I paid around $6.95. I view it as takeaway, easy and quick to feed.

http://www.petsonthepark.com.au/prod1829.htm

I don't mind the smell and all my dogs have eaten it happily.

So the 'Premium Choice' you feed just on it's own? http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=eny_fly_default.tpl&product_id=19&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=66

And the 'Complete Mix' is a dry food that you then supplement with meat and bones? (you mix it with water and leave it too) http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=eny_fly_default.tpl&product_id=21&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=66

Just making sure I understand :) My dog is a fusspot so I like to occasionally try different things. I am currently feeding a mix of dry, cooked (like tinned sardines etc) and raw.

Is there a feeding guide on the website, can't seem to find one.

I use the mix, not the premium stuff. I can't remember how much, but it was more than what I pay for the mess I feed my dogs currently.

I have to agree, when i first looked on the site it is not very clear as to what each food is , saying " complete" gives the impression it has the meat in too.Took me a few attempts to find it all.

Perhaps something to think about?

Sorry, meant to say, i mix up the complete mix and leave it in the pantry, roo in fridge,then mix them together at meal time.

I run out today of just the 1kg, so going to buy a bigger bag and keep trying it for a bit longer, reducing the amount i feed a bit aswell, still comes in at 3 times the price of feeding Advance, but if its as good as everyone says ,for one dog i might keep it. :)

Perhaps a loyalty bag would be a good idea, like Advance and Proplan do ? ( buy 10 bags of same size, get one free?), certainly pulls down the price. :D

Edited by juice

Thanks for the feedback Juice, I have looked on the website and we do give more detailed instructions on the packet. Something for us to look at.

When you make up the Complete Mix, after it has soaked, just pop it in the fridge with the meat. It will last longer that way.

The Premium Choice was designed with smaller dogs in mind and for people who needed to buy a short supply quickly. The Complete Mix is available so people can source/select their own meat. Buying in bulk can reduce cost.

The name Complete Mix was chosen as it represented for people worried about a balanced diet, a way of making their raw meat a complete diet. By also labeling it as a complete diet it could encourage people to think about the benefits of an all natural, unprocessed, non heat treated diet.

Loyalty plans and other similar offers are in the pipeline :)

Thanks for the reply, i only mix one day at a time anyway to leave in pantry.

After looking around at roo meat i think its all roughly around the same price, but will keep trying to find a cheaper place, i looked at the pinned topic, none anywhere near me. :(

The loyalty package would certainly sway me, it did when i changed from Optimum to Advance , with multiple dogs people get through the food much faster so need an incentive.

Sheena you are behaving like a pouting 6 year old, very poor form.

I recently got samples of VAN from Pet Barn. I think they came with some cat meat which I bought. All the pets liked it, it is a food I considered, but for now I am sticking with what is working well for them. I would have loved to have gone along to listen to Bruce's talk but alas too far from me. As a forum though, I think we are lucky to have someone in the know being transparent about their food and demonstrating strong customer service! After a disaster period with one food, I switched back to Holistic Select with great results but have now gone over to Taste Of the Wild where the service has been fabulous too.

I've never been one for cheap food, but after some issues with one of my Maremmas I switched on advise from a Maremma expert to Boomer Working Dog food and I have a whole new dog plus my boy is doing brilliantly on it too! Have also been feeding RMB's. The house dogs still get a more premium diet. It's certainly proved to me that one food does not suit all dogs and it was just a matter of juggling to find which has worked for who. I have recommended VAN to a few clients though who have problem little house dogs.

Edited by Clyde