Vets All Natural - Perfect Puppy Nutrition

Guest donatella

At what age can I switch my puppy to the adult mix? I'd ideally like to start feeding them both the same asap, she is 5 months now and I know you can switch small breeds over faster.

Is 6 months too young?

ETA scrap that. I just went and bought some Puppy mix and it says its okay to use up until 2 years. My oldest girl is 18 months old (and not fat) so technically I can use the puppy mix on them both for a while. Happy days :thumbsup:

Edited by donatella

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for delay Donatella.

I was waiting on a reply from Bruce as to the youngest he would move a Pom onto adult. Bare minimum he'd shift is 9 months.

Main differences is the adult has joint formula added, and whole grains for faecal bulk to assist with anal gland stretching.

• 2 weeks later...

Have sent you guys ( vets all natural ) a enquiry via your website, do you know how long a response normally takes, I have to make my girl some more food this week and am thinking of incorporating your products but not sure which ones.

Guest donatella

I have to give some feedback here a few weeks into feeding VAN.

a big :thumbsup: from the Poms. Breaky time is met with gusto and I am accosted if I am not up by 7.30 as they are hungry beasts wanting their roo mix (they normally get it at 6am pending work shifts).

Finally I can get them to eat their veges without them knowing :D

Really happy so far VAN.

• 1 month later...
Guest Maeby Fünke

I'm very happy with the VAN Superior Choice rolls (the ones you can buy at Woolies)...

Does anyone know if they come in larger sizes than 800g?

My dog loves VAN, but lots of grains come out the other end. Is this normal or is it not digesting properly?

Whole unprocessed grains are included in the mix for roughage for healthy anal glands :)

Really? Nothing some raw meaty bones won't do.

In the "good old days" a bit of calcium carbonate in the food twice a week would do the same thing. Chemists don't stock it any more. Wonder why? :noidea:

My dogs have all been easy and happy, just difficult to keep weight on as they are so active on the farm all the time. Went to a conference in San Diego and heard what Wendy Volhard had to say and was very surprised when she informed us dry food kibble nutrients on the pack are all stated as prior to cooking. We brought home some samples of her packs of food (looks like muesli). Product not available here and so thought I would try the VAN

Moved my Aussies over to the Vets All Natural on the 3rd December 2012 - now have found that the three dogs have actually holding weight much easier and do seem to have a shinnier coat - Also was a bit unsure about the cost as it seemed expensive but have only used half the 15kg bag so far and this is much better than piling on the dry food to keep the weight on.

We have just had a litter of pups so will get the pup diet and see how they go.

I currently have a 9week old cocker spaniel puppy and she is being fed Supercoat as her kibble mixed with some raw minced beef as that is what she was fed from her breeder. I would really like to switch her dry kibble to a premium kibble with more nutrition and would love to try the VANS Complete mix for puppies and see how my girl goes on it. Is it possible to purchase a small sample packet from somewhere??? Either online or offline (sydney)?

EDIT: I just went on the VANS website and realised you can receive free puppy packs!eek1.gif Can't wait to try them once they arrive. Will definitely update how my girl goes on itsmile.gif

Edited by dogsforjane

• 2 weeks later...
Guest donatella

Does anyone regularly use the Rolls or the Raw here? I bought both recently (I usually use the complete mix and add raw meat) and both rolls and raw STINK. I mean they are rank like rotting animal. Is that normal?

I'll definitely stick with my complete mix I think, I bought the others just as a variety for the girls to have something different but I can't handle the smell it is really offensive :eek:

Edited by donatella

Guest donatella

I put fresh human grade roo mince in my complete mix and don't smell a thing but both the Raw and Rolls have the same smell. Maybe its the roo meat?

I dont doubt there is anything wrong with the food as both the dogs ate it and I doubt 2 different products would be off but man it is a very very offensive smell!! Very different from the human grade fresh roo mince.

I put fresh human grade roo mince in my complete mix and don't smell a thing but both the Raw and Rolls have the same smell. Maybe its the roo meat?

I dont doubt there is anything wrong with the food as both the dogs ate it and I doubt 2 different products would be off but man it is a very very offensive smell!! Very different from the human grade fresh roo mince.

I got a sample of the raw from my vet once and it had a rank chemical/preservative smell that just made me gag. Definitely not an "all natural" smell as fresh meat doesn't smell anything like that.

I have been buying the meat as my pup prefers it over me making it up myself, I put the smell down to it containing offal. But after using it for awhile it no longer smells so bad so I must be getting used to it.

• 4 months later...

Hi Rally Valley

Sorry for the late reply, yes Bruce's recommendation is to swap to puppy formula (so 70:30 meat to mix ratio, not the normal 60:40)and feed to her weight like she is a puppy. Towards the end of her pregnancy she should be on meals double the size and when lactating, depending on litter size, she could be eating up to triple her normal meal.