Vets All Natural - Perfect Puppy Nutrition

If the dog can't have any bones at all (medical reasons) what would you suggest for teeth cleaning with VAN? With kibble you get a bit of teeth polishing happening but not sure if this would be the case with VAN. Thanks

Because I have bulldogs and they are not great at eating bones (the tend to swallow without chewing) I swap out a meal of VAN with a large chunk of meat that has to be chewed up before its eaten. Usually a nice big heart (cow or buffalo as they are quite big) and that seems to keep them happy for 10 minutes chewing and they all have lovely white teeth :)

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the dog can't have any bones at all (medical reasons) what would you suggest for teeth cleaning with VAN? With kibble you get a bit of teeth polishing happening but not sure if this would be the case with VAN. Thanks

Because I have bulldogs and they are not great at eating bones (the tend to swallow without chewing) I swap out a meal of VAN with a large chunk of meat that has to be chewed up before its eaten. Usually a nice big heart (cow or buffalo as they are quite big) and that seems to keep them happy for 10 minutes chewing and they all have lovely white teeth :)

Thanks. I have one dog that can have bones/meat and one that can't have any. The one that can't have any has great teeth. The meat eaters teeth aren't as nice as they used to be when everyone got bones. But I don't really want to separate them at meal times whilst one takes the time to eat the bones/meat.

Edited by JulesP

• 1 month later...

Thanks, he likes tuna and salmon at the moment but have bought sardines as dont like him eating too much tuna :) I like to give him fish a few times a week.

Hi, can you add fish instead of meat to some of the puppies meals? or is it ONLY meat?

I feed it with sardines once a week smile.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I had a question about the feed guide on the VAN website if anyone could point me in the right direction.

For a 22kg dog it's suggested 250g of VAN, 250 of water and 750g of meat. I assume this is throughout the day, not per meal?

Silly question I know, just the directions on the sample pack we received had similar quantities and stated that would be one meal for a large puppy.

That is a sizeble meal! We thought we'd give it a try but I can't find an answer and 750g of meat, 3x a day is just toooo much so surely not!

Pretty sure that is the daily intake, just split it into however many meals a day your pup gets. I have a 5 month old bull breed and he get 2 meals a day, 1 of VAN (approx half a kg, maybe a bit less) and 1 of so etching else. He will be approx 30-35kg when fully grown.

No it isn't stupid as I am quite sure I asked the same one some time ago :)

I also don't really like the fact you have all quanitites for all of the varieties on the back of every packet. But I am used to it now :)

Edited by OSoSwift

I haven't read all 25 pages of this discussion and apologies for barging in like a bull in a china shop.

But what is going on? I've never seen a commercial dog food producer show up as a member on a DOL Forum before. I thought commercials were forbidden from advocating their own stuff.

I read lots of discussion of 'natural' but no evidence presented. Are there any experimental results to show this approach works, or just anecdotes and theory?

What about recent DNA work showing that dogs, as compared to wolves, are genetically well endowed with the wherewithal to produce enzymes for starch digestion? ( http://news.sciencemag.org/plants-animals/2013/01/diet-shaped-dog-domestication )

My impression is that dogs have lived with people for thousands of years and have evolved to tolerate a wide variety of diets. There is no "Perfect Puppy Nutrition" any more than there is a perfect human diet. It's also my impression that compromised immune systems contribute greatly to allergies and food intolerance . . . and homozygosity of the DLA has compromised the immune systems of many many dogs.

I would love if more feed manufacturers had such an open forum for comments, advice and criticism.

Yes good point

This

Plus they are not shoving it down people's throats and going into other threads like another food. I don't see anything wrong with this thread, if you don't like it then don't click on it.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I would love if more feed manufacturers had such an open forum for comments, advice and criticism.

Me too. Some of the other retailers/distributors can be pushy, but I have always found Bruce (if he's the person writing it) to be neutral and open to suggestions.

Yes good point

This

Plus they are not shoving it down people's throats and going into other threads like another food. I don't see anything wrong with this thread, if you don't like it then don't click on it.

As someone else pointed out, I didn't click on it for 18 mo. ;-) Just happened to check in to see what has been going on for so long.

I see no reason to complain, as it is easy enough to avoid.

I agree, it would be good to see a forum where many feed manufacturers could participate in discussion with pet owners.

Giving sponsors special rights goes against the grain for me.