Vets All Natural - Perfect Puppy Nutrition

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, unfortunately there are people who don't follow government regulations. They shouldn't continue as auditors and inspectors weed them out. Sadly, the cowboys probably exist.

Getting to know your local supplier is a good idea. Every industry which involves animals should be held to the highest scrutiny.

Yet that doesn't address the point that roo meat doesn't physicaly agree with many dogs, some as individuals and some as whole breeds or types.

Perhaps that should be mentioned when t is advertised as part of an effective diet... ;)

Yet that doesn't address the point that roo meat doesn't physicaly agree with many dogs, some as individuals and some as whole breeds or types.

Perhaps that should be mentioned when t is advertised as part of an effective diet... ;)

What sample/percentage do you mean by "doesn't physically agree with many dogs", Alyosha? I understand that it's not for all dogs (but what is?) for a variety of reasons, but didn't think it disagreed with most dogs ??? I often recommend a bit of roo in amongst a dog's diet, where people can.

VAN - do you think it is a good thing to not settle on just one meat protein source and to add some variety in? The purpose behind my question I guess comes from the problems I'm experiencing with Mandela, and my thinking that allergies can develop over time. So perhaps a bit of switching protein sources can avoid that occurring?

As far as I have experienced Erny, it doesn't agree with many sighthounds at all. I'm sure there are individuals that differ, but they are a decent sized family, and if their crosses are similar that is a decent sized group of dogs.

I know of dogs in other groups that don't cope with roo meat, everything from kelpies to labs to toy breeds and gundogs. :shrug:

Evena a little but sets some off with wind and discomfort, whereas some suffer skin rashes and just don't generally "do" very well

Our experience as retailers is that roo is widely well received by a cross section of the canine (and feline) community and is an excellent choice for the majority of our customers' dogs, not the minority. We see a huge amount of itchy dogs, and the short and long term difference in those animals whose owners are prepared to critically look at diet, and follow our suggestions, is really wonderful to see. Roo is often part of the equation, and there have been only a few dogs who do not respond well to it. Some do find it rich, compared to previous meats, and some don't like the taste/smell, but it certainly has proved to be a useful tool in helping relieve skin conditions in those dogs who enjoy it.

There are plenty of other meats that can be trialled if roo doesn't suit the individual or is an ethical issue, along with alternative protein sources. We have a number of vegan customers using the Vets All Natural Complete Mix with various vegetable proteins as the "meat" source, and that is working quite well.

Always enjoy nutrition discussions.

Phillipa

As far as I have experienced Erny, it doesn't agree with many sighthounds at all. I'm sure there are individuals that differ, but they are a decent sized family, and if their crosses are similar that is a decent sized group of dogs.

I know of dogs in other groups that don't cope with roo meat, everything from kelpies to labs to toy breeds and gundogs. :shrug:

Evena a little but sets some off with wind and discomfort, whereas some suffer skin rashes and just don't generally "do" very well

Edited by Sagittarian

Guest lavendergirl

Our experience as retailers is that roo is widely well received by a cross section of the canine (and feline) community and is an excellent choice for the majority of our customers' dogs, not the minority. We see a huge amount of itchy dogs, and the short and long term difference in those animals whose owners are prepared to critically look at diet, and follow our suggestions, is really wonderful to see. Roo is often part of the equation, and there have been only a few dogs who do not respond well to it. Some do find it rich, compared to previous meats, and some don't like the taste/smell, but it certainly has proved to be a useful tool in helping relieve skin conditions in those dogs who enjoy it.

There are plenty of other meats that can be trialled if roo doesn't suit the individual or is an ethical issue, along with alternative protein sources. We have a number of vegan customers using the Vets All Natural Complete Mix with various vegetable proteins as the "meat" source, and that is working quite well.

Always enjoy nutrition discussions.

Phillipa

Are there really people who will not feed their dogs any meat? How does that work for the dogs??

lavendergirl, I have a client who feeds no meat to her two dogs, however they do get a weekly marrow bone. Both her dogs are now getting on in years & when she took them to our local vet practice for an annual check-up, the vet (who was new) commented on their spritely demeanour & obvious good health. He was gobsmacked when she answered his question as to their diet with "principally vegetarian"! I would loved to have been a fly on the wall, this is a practice that heavily promotes Hill's!

:confused:

I know quite a few greyhound trainers; all include roo in their dogs' diets; a couple of the trainers have city class & Group placed / winning racing dogs too.

Are there really people who will not feed their dogs any meat? How does that work for the dogs??

Yes me :) I can't feed Amber any meat at all due to her liver condition. She can get a tiny bit as a treat but the last time I fed her a lamb flap it caused her to have a seizure. She needs to have vego protein as it is easier for the liver to process.

How does it work for Amber? Well she is alive :) She also put on some weight and now scoffs her food down.

Unfortunately I can't feed VAN due to some of the ingredients.

Guest lavendergirl

Yes me :) I can't feed Amber any meat at all due to her liver condition. She can get a tiny bit as a treat but the last time I fed her a lamb flap it caused her to have a seizure. She needs to have vego protein as it is easier for the liver to process.

How does it work for Amber? Well she is alive :) She also put on some weight and now scoffs her food down.

Unfortunately I can't feed VAN due to some of the ingredients.

Thats great that Amber manages so well on the vege diet - I just had not thought of doggies being vegetarians :D

Well Bonn is loving the new food, spends ages licking the bowl.

However after working out the cost, this small 1kg bag is only going to last a week, and the roo meat, and necks i put in to substitute some roo, its working out at around $31 a week for one dog :(

Even if i buy a bigger bag of Van, it will still be $28.

On Advance they cost about $12 each including wings and necks a week.

If i only had one dog i might think about it, but i can't afford it really.

I also notice her poo is full of grains, whats the point, goes straight in and out?

Well Bonn is loving the new food, spends ages licking the bowl.

However after working out the cost, this small 1kg bag is only going to last a week, and the roo meat, and necks i put in to substitute some roo, its working out at around $31 a week for one dog :(

Even if i buy a bigger bag of Van, it will still be $28.

On Advance they cost about $12 each including wings and necks a week.

If i only had one dog i might think about it, but i can't afford it really.

I also notice her poo is full of grains, whats the point, goes straight in and out?

The whole grains that you see are supposed to be there they are added as roughage

W

The whole grains that you see are supposed to be there they are added as roughage

Correct, the rolled oats and barley is included for nutritional benefit, and the whole oats are to bulk up the faecal matter, to empty the anal glands by fully stretching the sphincter muscle. Small poos might be good for cleaning up, but they can lead to anal gland problems.

Guest lavendergirl

W

Correct, the rolled oats and barley is included for nutritional benefit, and the whole oats are to bulk up the faecal matter, to empty the anal glands by fully stretching the sphincter muscle. Small poos might be good for cleaning up, but they can lead to anal gland problems.

Thats interesting. My boy has anal gland issues. I was considering switching to a grain-free kibble but thought that the small "output" may not give the glands an adequate "work out".