Vets All Natural - Perfect Puppy Nutrition

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few tablespoons of whole oats per day for a ~ 25kg dog can help with faecal bulk.

The Complete Mix mimics everything a wild dog might do in a day, including eating indigestible fibre. Many dogs are seen chewing on bark, sticks and mature grasses.

My puppy still eats sticks and bark lol

A few tablespoons of whole oats per day for a ~ 25kg dog can help with faecal bulk.

The Complete Mix mimics everything a wild dog might do in a day, including eating indigestible fibre. Many dogs are seen chewing on bark, sticks and mature grasses.

My puppy still eats sticks and bark lol

Are they Lab's I spot in your signature :laugh:

Guest lavendergirl

Does your Sensitive Skin mix contain oats as well? I have a 5kg BichonX with itchy skin who I feed premium kibble supplemented with extra (cooked) chicken/tuna/salmon. I am interested in a Australian made natural product though. Does your Sensitive Complete Mix require mixing with raw meat?

Thanks for the heads up about the grains, her poo is definatley more solid on VAN, seems much less waste.

The roo i buy in fozen rolls is $5 800g, then i buy necks and wings for all of them for the week, which is about $12.

I am feeding her necks as well as the roo meat, but so far getting through 2 rolls a week of roo.

The price was based on the 5kg bag, the 15 kig bag would bring it down $1.50 a week, but huge price to pay upfront first! :(

I would love to feed it, may get a 5kg bag, and keep trying for longer to see if we get any change in her red feet, then decide.

Edited by juice

Does your Sensitive Skin mix contain oats as well? I have a 5kg BichonX with itchy skin who I feed premium kibble supplemented with extra (cooked) chicken/tuna/salmon. I am interested in a Australian made natural product though. Does your Sensitive Complete Mix require mixing with raw meat?

Yes, it does contain oats. The Sensitive Skin is the base Complete Mix with Protexin, milk thistle, omega 3, quercetin, green tea, zinc, colostrum, astragalus and perilla seed also added.

Raw meat is required to be added to the Complete Mix. CM was designed to give people the option of feeding raw and knowing that they were providing a balanced diet for their dogs. We do have Premium Choice available, which is a refrigerated, already mixed diet. It is available in Puppy, Adult, Weight Loss etc. The sensitive skin version of Premium Choice is called Allerblend.

I bought some VAN for my dogs. They wouldn't touch it.

What's the VAN view on fish as a diet for dogs?

Were they used to eating raw meat? We find some dogs resist for that reason.

Fish meat is a very good source of protein, low in fat, and high in vitamins and minerals – when it is first caught. If you were to buy fresh fish and lightly cook it for your pets, it would be very good. Cost and effort may prove to be prohibitive to this practice. One must also be aware of the environment in which the fish is caught – levels of toxic heavy metals, like mercury etc, can be quite high in some parts of the world. It is also worthy of note that freshwater fish do contain levels of thiaminase, which can cause vitamin B1 deficiency if used exclusively as a diet. In the wild dogs may make the occasional attempts at catching fish in fresh water streams, but the only true fisherman are their close relatives, the bears.

Thanks for the heads up about the grains, her poo is definatley more solid on VAN, seems much less waste.

The roo i buy in fozen rolls is $5 800g, then i buy necks and wings for all of them for the week, which is about $12.

I am feeding her necks as well as the roo meat, but so far getting through 2 rolls a week of roo.

The price was based on the 5kg bag, the 15 kig bag would bring it down $1.50 a week, but huge price to pay upfront first! :(

I would love to feed it, may get a 5kg bag, and keep trying for longer to see if we get any change in her red feet, then decide.

We believe feeding raw is so beneficial for dogs (and cats), so if it becomes too price prohibitive try mixing half the roo with half chicken mince. Often its finding that cheap, good supplier of meat. There is a great thread on here where people recommend these places. Its pinned at the top of the Health section.

Also, when feeding raw the feeding guidelines really are just guidelines. The best way to gauge the amount needed is your dogs body condition. Many dogs probably do a little too well on VAN :) you might find in a few weeks you have cut back the amount your feeding quite a bit.

I just wondered about the amounts actually, she is a rather tubby lazy BT, who has had 2 litters before i got her, so still has a droopy tum, so i think dropping some weight would be good.

When i go for more roo later this week i will look at chicken mince too, i suspect i am giving her too much of everything atm.

130g VAN, about 4 necks, and a about 200gs of roo ( one very small brekky the rest at night).

We believe feeding raw is so beneficial for dogs (and cats), so if it becomes too price prohibitive try mixing half the roo with half chicken mince. Often its finding that cheap, good supplier of meat. There is a great thread on here where people recommend these places. Its pinned at the top of the Health section.

Also, when feeding raw the feeding guidelines really are just guidelines. The best way to gauge the amount needed is your dogs body condition. Many dogs probably do a little too well on VAN :) you might find in a few weeks you have cut back the amount your feeding quite a bit.

I have certainly had to cut down on quantities for my dogs, much to their disgust, I am sure they would eat it dry out of the bucket if I let them.

:laugh:

I bought some VAN for my dogs. They wouldn't touch it.

What's the VAN view on fish as a diet for dogs?

Were they used to eating raw meat? We find some dogs resist for that reason.

Fish meat is a very good source of protein, low in fat, and high in vitamins and minerals – when it is first caught. If you were to buy fresh fish and lightly cook it for your pets, it would be very good. Cost and effort may prove to be prohibitive to this practice. One must also be aware of the environment in which the fish is caught – levels of toxic heavy metals, like mercury etc, can be quite high in some parts of the world. It is also worthy of note that freshwater fish do contain levels of thiaminase, which can cause vitamin B1 deficiency if used exclusively as a diet. In the wild dogs may make the occasional attempts at catching fish in fresh water streams, but the only true fisherman are their close relatives, the bears.

The one thing I don't like is food evangelists saying what is right or wrong for dogs. The best food for a dog is the food the dog does best on. Some dogs might do very well on raw. Other dogs do not and I wish, particularly those trying to sell a product, would not try to persuade people into changing for change's sake. Even more so when a dog requires a special diet.

Thanks but no thanks.

Also adding this forum rule that you may not be aware of:

No advertising or self promotion

Posting just to promote your business or web site, will get you banned. (This includes people looking for a stud dog, selling puppies etc).

It is usually pretty obvious when members join just for this purpose. Under no circumstances can you advertise a similar site to Dogz Online or any other dog forum in any way.

Edited by Sheridan

Not sure how to reply to you Sheridan.

Dr Bruce Syme is a passionate vet who is happy to share his opinion. You asked for his opinion on fish and were given it.

Vets All Natural is a paid advertiser, like many other advertisers who start a thread.

We are not bombarding every thread with an evanglistical attitude. You are correct, each and every dog is different and with the information provided people can research and educate themselves further.