Vets All Natural - Perfect Puppy Nutrition

I've used VAN in the past as an alternative to adding vegetables.

When I tried it on our boy who we adopted last year I was a bit alarmed at the amount of 'output' so haven't used it for a while.

I realise the VAN contains roughage which increases the output but how do I know when it becomes excessive?

How many of you using it give the amount recommended on the packet - my dogs are 7.5kg & 8kg and the amount seems huge - I usually give about 3/4's and even that seems a lot?

Do any of you still give veggies as well as the VAN?

The feeding guidelines is at the upper end of the scale. Almost everyone ends up feeding less, as they see their dogs respond very well to it.

There is no need to add veggies. That's the great thing about Complete Mix, with meat and bones it makes up a total diet.

The 'output' is certainly more than a dog fed dry food, but that is for a reason, the expansion of the sphincter muscle and emptying of the anal glands. What you will find that they disintegrate very quickly.

Thank You, I will have to watch our boys weight as he seems to gain easily whereas the girl could do with a little extra.

How long can it be kept in the fridge once mixed with water? I usually leave it out overnight then refridgerate it but I would like to mix a few days worth at once.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will PM you the details of Bruce's liver and renal failure diet for you. It's what he uses in his practice.

Not to replace your own vet's advice, but might give you some ideas to discuss with them.

VAN, could you send it to me too please? My 11 year old Chinese Crested has kidney disease, she's doing beautifully at the moment but I'd love to have as much info as possible.

I have a few questions if I may... :)

In regards to protein, I presume you can add any preparation you like? Mince, chopped up breast, lamb straps, necks etc?

Can you make up the Complete Mix, add protein and freeze in portions? I think you mentioned this before but just double checking.

At the moment I feed BARF patties with Health Booster added. Will I leave out the HB if feeding Complete Mix?

If I changed over to VAN do I need to do it gradually or can I switch straight over as I'm feeding raw already?

And lastly, what do I do with all the BARF patties I have? :laugh:

I have a few questions if I may... :)

In regards to protein, I presume you can add any preparation you like? Mince, chopped up breast, lamb straps, necks etc?

Can you make up the Complete Mix, add protein and freeze in portions? I think you mentioned this before but just double checking.

At the moment I feed BARF patties with Health Booster added. Will I leave out the HB if feeding Complete Mix?

If I changed over to VAN do I need to do it gradually or can I switch straight over as I'm feeding raw already?

And lastly, what do I do with all the BARF patties I have? :laugh:

Protein- yes, any protein source you like, we'd like it to be raw though :)

Freezing- I do it myself, makes feeding raw less effort on a daily basis. It will look like more blood when it defrosts, don't be alarmed though, freezing can burst cell walls.

Health Booster- yes, that is in the Complete Mix.

Switching- yes, if your on raw already there will be no problem but seeing that you have extra BARF patties you could do half/ half for a few days.

Thanks VAN. I think I might try it out once my patties run out (need to free up the freezer space!). :)

You say the wet mix can be refrigerated for 5 - 7 days. Is that sans meat?

I have a (nearly) 13 year old dog who had CL surgery in her younger years. She can be a little stiff when she gets up. Would she benefit from added Joint Formula or SC Powder?

And one last thing, what are the benefits of VAN over BARF patties? Is it just the added roughage?

Thanks VAN. I think I might try it out once my patties run out (need to free up the freezer space!). :)

You say the wet mix can be refrigerated for 5 - 7 days. Is that sans meat?

I have a (nearly) 13 year old dog who had CL surgery in her younger years. She can be a little stiff when she gets up. Would she benefit from added Joint Formula or SC Powder?

And one last thing, what are the benefits of VAN over BARF patties? Is it just the added roughage?

No, just the soaked Complete Mix in the fridge for 5 - 7 days. With the meat just use your judgement.

The Joint Formula is good for stiff joints, the Skin & Coat Formula is great for digestive and skin health. There is also straight Shark Cartilage available as well.

BARF is meat and veges, VAN is meat, veges and grains. The grains are both nutritionally beneficial, and add roughage to the diet.

Hi I currently feed VAN complete mix and love it with great results. I have my first litter on the way and will be raising them on the puppy mix, however for my puppy buyers I would like to include samples in their puppy packs that we provide. Is it possable as a breeder to purchase sample packs to send with our pups to their new homes?

I have used VAN on and off for over a year with my 3 Rottweilers. When Jett had her puppies I introduced VAN to the diets of the puppies and my dogs. Very simple to use, but because I can be forgetful :o I make mine up in large batches and freeze - ie: 14 cups of VAN, 14 cups of water (soaked in laundry in a few bowls for 24hrs). The next day I add 20kg of beef, the per-soaked VAN and I add 1 tub of natural yoghurt and a few cans of sardines and some pasta and mix it through thoroughly. I freeze these in zip lock bags (1kg per bag) and feed 1kg divided up between my 3 dogs together with 1 cup of Artemis as I am too scared to go completely raw.

I was also adding vitamized veggies, olive oil and gg yoke (+shells) and now i find out I didn't have to add the veggies :laugh: . They were also getting 1 or 2 chicken frames each. This was costing me a small fortune.

I am still scared of feeding complete raw so if I do the above minus the pasta and veggies (still using yoghurt and sardines) and feed with 1 cup each of Artemis will that be ok?

Hi I currently feed VAN complete mix and love it with great results. I have my first litter on the way and will be raising them on the puppy mix, however for my puppy buyers I would like to include samples in their puppy packs that we provide. Is it possable as a breeder to purchase sample packs to send with our pups to their new homes?

Certainly, just go to our website and send a request www.vetsallnatural.com.au. Look in the bottom right hand corner of the home page. We send them out free of charge.

The Puppy Packs come with samples, puppy treats and information in a green envirobag.

Great to hear about your VAN results. :thumbsup:

We had this question asked via a pm, and for dogs allergic or sensitive to soy or corn the premixed Allerblend contains neither.

Hi Trina, if you would like to keep feeding the cup of Artemis you can, but there really isn't any need to. By adding the yoghurt I'm assuming your thinking along the lines of a probiotic, and the sardines, omega 3. You can keep adding those to the diet, they are beneficial. If it gets too messy we do have the Skin and Coat Formula which you can add, or the Sensitive Skin Complete Mix has Protexin as a probiotic and extra omega 3.

The chicken frames are a great idea for dental health and environmental enrichment :)

Guest lavendergirl

Are you giving any consideration to producing a Complete Mix with any other meat source besides kangaroo?

Are you giving any consideration to producing a Complete Mix with any other meat source besides kangaroo?

Hi Lavendergirl, with the Complete Mix you can add whatever protein source you would like, and the Premium Choice is the premixed refrigerated meat. At this stage we do only have kangaroo as the protein source, but Bruce has been talking about having available one made with green tripe as the protein source. Hopefully in the future.

I give half of what packaging says to my adult boy and 3/4 of the amt to my puppy

Are you giving half of the complete mix, or half of the complete mix and fresh meat?

I keep the ratio of Complete Mix : Meat the same and reduce the portions for those that require it.