Vets All Natural - Perfect Puppy Nutrition

Guest Labradork

I think it's okay to feed kangaroo meat to puppies, but I would be giving them flaxseed oil as well - kangaroo meat is low in Omega 3.

ETA

Sorry my Lab puppy just whacked her giant paws on my lap top and deleted my post :laugh:

I was going to say that the Omega 3 to 6 ratio is very important (in whatever diet you are feeding your dogs) because Omega 6 cancels out Omega 3. Please don't ask me to explain this scientifically - I just know it's true :laugh:

Edited by Labradork

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a diet of straight roo could be too lean, but that's why diets like VAN have added beneficial oils.

Labradork, you are correct. Omega 3 has anti inflammatory properties and Omega 6 has pro inflammatory properties. The problem with processed dry foods is that omega 3 is broken down at relatively low temperatures, much lower than the temperatures required for extrusion.

To say oils are added can be misleading, sure the oil is added prior to processing but what is left after processing? Its a question many manufactures don't test or answer.

Hi Labradork,

The rolls are pastuerised, so not 100% raw, but not completely cooked either. The Raw76 is still our number 1 recommendation (or Complete Mix made up at home) just with so much feedback that handling bloody meat was a deterrent for people to feed raw, we saw an opportunity to provide a hydrated product which didn't handle like raw meat.

With so many dogs still being fed tin food and cheap rolls we are also trying to target the average supermarket buyer with a better quality option.

I'm one of those people who have a problem with handling raw, bloody meat.

Do you sell it in chicken or lamb? Or just kangaroo?

Just kangaroo. Bruce really likes chicken and lamb as protein sources, if they were not so intensively farmed. Kangaroo is essentially organic and free range.

Guest Labradork

Hi Labradork,

The rolls are pastuerised, so not 100% raw, but not completely cooked either. The Raw76 is still our number 1 recommendation (or Complete Mix made up at home) just with so much feedback that handling bloody meat was a deterrent for people to feed raw, we saw an opportunity to provide a hydrated product which didn't handle like raw meat.

With so many dogs still being fed tin food and cheap rolls we are also trying to target the average supermarket buyer with a better quality option.

Just kangaroo. Bruce really likes chicken and lamb as protein sources, if they were not so intensively farmed. Kangaroo is essentially organic and free range.

Oh, organic and free range? I didn't know that.

Also, what puts put me off feeding Vets All Natural is that it contains grains and yeast. In the past I have owned Labradors who couldn't tolerate grains or yeast - so, I'm a bit hesitant to try it. Also, the added calcium scares me a bit because of the tendency towards hip/joint problems in Labs :)

Guest donatella

Vets All Natural, I just got my free puppy sample in the post today :thumbsup:

It says the 120gms should feed a 10-15kg dog with the mixed meat for a day.

My pup is 1.5kg at 5 months old.

I'm currently soaking the mix, technically this should almost feed her a week no? That doesn't seem enough (maths isn't my strong point :banghead:)

Hi Labradork,

Also, what puts put me off feeding Vets All Natural is that it contains grains and yeast. In the past I have owned Labradors who couldn't tolerate grains or yeast - so, I'm a bit hesitant to try it. Also, the added calcium scares me a bit because of the tendency towards hip/joint problems in Labs :)

The gains in the VAN complete mix range are not cooked, processed grains = problems for my dogs but the unprocessed do not affect them at all. I am sure there is some info on the VAN site regarding this?

Guest Labradork

Hi Labradork,

The gains in the VAN complete mix range are not cooked, processed grains = problems for my dogs but the unprocessed do not affect them at all. I am sure there is some info on the VAN site regarding this?

Okay, thanks :)

I still have a problem with the VAN containing Dried Brewer's Yeast...and I would need to see the Calcium levels (which are more important than the Cal to Phos ratios) to feel completely comfortable about buying it. Would it be possible for me to please see the As Fed Complete Nutritional Analysis of the Complete Mix (Puppy) and the new supermarket roll?

ETA

I'm not being a smart a*** - I'm just a control freak when it comes to my dogs :laugh:

Edited by Labradork

Guest Labradork

Have a read here Labradork Grains

If you look at the menu along the top of the website you will find the articles section. A wealth of info with many questions answered.

Okay, thanks :)

I am glad I stumbled across this thread as I may have found a reason for why my boy's coat isn't looking very good ATM & I have been having trouble with it for some time now.

I was unaware that Kangaroo meat was low in Omega 3 & that is what I mainly feed Sonny. So maybe he is lacking in Omega levels, who knows. He does get eggs, sardines etc once

or twice a week but might not be enough for him. I will add some supplements, Omega 3, 6,& 9 to his food & see how it goes.

Guest Labradork

I am glad I stumbled across this thread as I may have found a reason for why my boy's coat isn't looking very good ATM & I have been having trouble with it for some time now.

I was unaware that Kangaroo meat was low in Omega 3 & that is what I mainly feed Sonny. So maybe he is lacking in Omega levels, who knows. He does get eggs, sardines etc once

or twice a week but might not be enough for him. I will add some supplements, Omega 3, 6,& 9 to his food & see how it goes.

I add Melrose Organic Flaxseed Oil to my Lab's food. It's about $23 for a 500ml bottle and you can get it in health food stores. Melrose also make a Flaxseed/Cod Liver Oil blend in a 2 litre size called Melrose Omega-3 Liquid.

The only problem is I worry about the Vitamin A levels in Cod Liver Oil because dogs can't eliminate the excess from their bodies.

Here is a link to the Omega Pet range on the Melrose website...

http://www.omegapet.com/

Edited by Labradork

Guest Labradork

I find the VAN Omega Blend oil is excellent :)

Oh, sorry...I didn't realise that they make it :o I wasn't trying to turn customers away :laugh:

Edited by Labradork

Don't worry LDork, takes more than that to turn me off a product anyway LOL.

I have actually been on Vans website & was unaware they made a Kanagroo Sensitive skin raw dog mince that I am going to buy when I find out where I can buy it :)

Also might add the Vans oil blend as well at first to give him that bit of an extra boost as his coat is really suffering :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Guest donatella

Okay so first round went down a treat :thumbsup:

However I'm not a fan of the soaking and mixing bit (call me lazy) so I pose another question.

Your RAW 76 mix that is already delightfully ready to go, is that all you'd feed say twice a day? Would I need to supplement with bones at all? Bearing in mind I don't give chicken necks or wings for the choking factor only ever big bones to gnaw on.

Because of their size I think it would be economical for me to feed the RAW 76 no problem, I just am not sure if its supposed to be a complete diet?

Hi Donatella, yes, with Poms the Raw76 is a good option. When making the Complete Mix many either make up bulk supplies and freeze, or each time they feed they just start soaking for the next feed.

We advise feeding bones once or twice a week but this is more from a dental health aspect. If your Poms teeth are looking clean then you can feed bones more as a treat or environmental stimulation. Dogs saliva is able to start breaking down raw food very efficiently so you shouldn't have dental issues if they stay on a raw diet.

If feeding twice daily then split the recommended daily amount in half. The best guideline for the correct amount is their body weight, so monitor them over the next few weeks and adjust accordingly.

Guest donatella

Thanks for this.

They are loving the Complete mix so far and i'm surprised that their output has really very little to no smell. Very happy about that!

I have been feeding my BT Vans for a while now and she really loves it, i was worried at the start about cost, as being a single mum with 3 dogs i thought it was pricey. However i discovered i only needed about half the amount it said on the pack as she is very lazy, i also changed from roo to chicken as it was much cheaper.

My other 2 dogs are on Advance and necks and wings, i am now thinking of putting them all on Vans, i sat reading whats in Advance last night, and not that impressed.

I did try the oil supplement once ,but honestly couldn't see any change.

I did like the sensitive skin mix best, but price difference is too much for me. :(

They need to do a rewards program like all the other premium foods :D