Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

Hankdog - I have a copy of the BAT book that my very generous DOL secret santa bought me (along with a swag of other goodies). I'm happy to lend it to you for a few months if you want, just PM me your address.

He might respond better to BAT simply because the reward is to move away from what is setting him off (whereas traditional conditioning means you behave = you stay near that thing that is setting you off for longer. Doesn't take much for dogs to cotton on that reacting = you get to move away).

Do you think having a "job" to do might also help him? We're learning tracking and it is very simple to do, yet the dogs absolutely love it. Lucy concentrates so hard when she does it that she didn't even look up when a dog went off 2m away from her. They are always tired even after a short track as they need to use their senses to find the article. I find that, if Lucy gets a decent amount of mental stimulation she is much calmer. I have been busy at work and have had a respiratory infection for the last few weeks so, while they have walked every day, the walks haven't been as long and I haven't done much training with them. She is definitely more on edge because of this.

WOW Corvus - you are a wealth of information! I'd like to learn more about LAT and Toaster... how did you teach the Toaster? What is BAT?

Hankdog - I know how you feel, and i had tears in my eyes reading your post... maybe its the stubborn bulldog in them? Also, we have a thundershirt, it doesn't seem to make a difference to Asti but I can only try it in winter anyway as it makes her too hot :o

Hi folks, sorry for just jumping in amongst everybody. Have been reading some of these latest threads with great interest. Some of these methods of redirection I hope to trial one day with Stella instead of her just running blindly, crying,

with her toy pelican stuffed in her mouth everytime she hears the slightest noise :(

Quick update regarding my girl. Found a wonderful local Vet & discussed Stella's issues in some detail & he perscribed Kalma tablets to be used in conjunction with her Endep to try & help her in stressful situations like the one we are in atm. So I gave her her first dose this morning. She seems slightly more settled. It will be a case of getting the dose right though, so time will tell.

Wish us luck guys. I am really struggling with her lately. Her reactiveness is escalating rapidly. And I am floundering & feeling like an exhausted failure.

Poor girl, I hate to think how she must be feeling :(

Edited by BC Crazy

WOW Corvus - you are a wealth of information!

I'd hope so! I wrote a paper on this last year and am currently revising it after peer review. It's been one of those projects that somehow end up bigger than you are and threatening to eat you. It's been received well so far, but I think that's what makes me so anxious about it. :grimace: My supervisor is raving about it to all and sundry and I have several people lined up waiting for me to tell them the moment it gets published. :eek:

I'd like to learn more about LAT and Toaster... how did you teach the Toaster? What is BAT?

I think I taught the toaster move just with food lures. Erik was pretty leery at first because it put him uncomfortably close to me for a little herder, but it quickly became a favourite. I turned it into a "your feet on mine" trick. It's in this recent video of some of his tricks somewhere:

Near the end, like about 2 minute mark.

BAT is Behaviour Adjustment Therapy. It is based on using functional rewards, which is usually more distance from the scary thing, to reinforce more appropriate behaviours. I think I posted a video on this thread a few months ago of Erik doing LAT.

Yes megan. Not exactly the sticks but unable to go home. Probably another 2 to 3 weeks at the least as far as I know. OH is still in plaster.

Stella does seem a lot happier this afternoon & is asleep atm. Ya ... I think I chould have a nap myself. I give her everything I have & reactive dogs are just so draining on your emotions aren't they ?

Sometimes you just feel like you are going nowhere fast with them :(

Thanks for your support Corvus & advice to seek advice regarding Stella's meds.

Edited by BC Crazy

Aw BC Crazy. Any chance of you getting a break from Stella for a few days? As much as I love Lucy a day or two away (when I had visitors for example)when she was at her worst is what I needed.

There is a great article on Dogs in Need of Space that I'll try to dig up. It is all about looking after yourself and not feeling guilty about having a rest day or two.

Can you add me to the list of people waiting to read that paper please Corvus. Thanks Megan, I have the BAT book but I should actually read it again. I've read bunches of stuff and it's all got a bit mixed up in my head, plus I never seem to remember it in the heat of the moment. I have several cue words that I use to remind me what to do. Yea I'm the crazy lady who talks to herself with the loopy bulldog. Just a funny moment today, I saw an oncoming dog that I know is slightly reactive so headed for a clump of bush, a second dog suddenly appeared around the corner and so the other reactive dog bolted towards my bush. I had to stick my head out and yell "sorry this bush is occupied". Luckily he recognized me and scarpered off down a driveway. See if there were only reactive dogs in the world there wouldn't be a problem.

ETA. just watched the video and it's confirmed, I'm in love with Kivi.

Edited by hankdog

Aw BC Crazy. Any chance of you getting a break from Stella for a few days? As much as I love Lucy a day or two away (when I had visitors for example)when she was at her worst is what I needed.

There is a great article on Dogs in Need of Space that I'll try to dig up. It is all about looking after yourself and not feeling guilty about having a rest day or two.

Many thanks in advance megan. Would appreciate it. And yes I do probably need a spell from Stella even for an afternoon or something. I have never left her for more than a couple of hours. She is VERY needy & I don't feel confident to leave her with anyone, except OH, nor do I have anyone experienced, that is available to mind her.

Edited by BC Crazy

Happy gotcha day to Jake, the sweetest reactive dog in the world. In the last year I have...

1) learned that LAT has one meaning, CAT two and BAT three.

2) shown me that I have a lot to learn

3) given me the determination to lose 9kg and walked me so much I have kept it off

4) filled my head with so much dog behavior information soup that does sometimes make sense

5) made sure I never have to wait in the queue for the vet

6) since I sucked up the embarrassment and went back to the coffee shop no more queue for me there either

7) introduced me to my lovely trainer, Vicki

8) made me figure out how to access an Internet forum

9) made me figure out how to use my camera to take pics of your gorgeous mug

10) made me part of this excellent forum with so much positive support

Happy gotcha Tubby, the first of many!

Edited by hankdog

Happy gotcha day to Jake! From Asti and Angus xoxo

I smiled at some of the things you've learnt because I've been through it too - especially queuing at the vet's and learning about dog behviour.

P.S. Can you post a photo of Jake?

Jake is so gorgeous, look at his expressive face!

Good news in our house - I have completely changed tactics with Scooter. Given some excellent advice from 2 doggy people I very much respect, a few days ago when I was at my wits end, things are different in this house!

1. I don't pick him up anymore. Ever.

2. If he growls at Ru when Ru is trying to get up on the bed or couch, I pick RU up and hoist him over Scooter so there's no altercation.

3. Give Scooter at least half his food by hand.

4. When he starts to forcefully guard something (angry/attack mode) I take it away. Very untraditional, but he doesn't respond well to the take-give training, and he's learning VERY quickly that if he behaves when he has something good, then he keeps it! :)

Very proud of the boy. Vet behaviorist on my next day off.