Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

I think that is what is helping us (me). The obedience shows me how to train him. The instructor is there and can see what I am doing and what he is doing - she points out things that I should notice more, when I do and react to it, the training goes so much smoother.

Our walk this morning was really nice - he did pull a few times but mostly just had a nice free walk to the end of the leash.

We met 3 little pugs and he said hello nicely. As soon as looked like he was getting excited, we left with his ball and he was happy to come along with me.

Yesterday he pulled more than today - so it really is one step forward and a step sideways/back.

Hankdog, I can so relate to your post. I wish I lived closer to Vickie cause I need extra help with Stella. And I totally agree with the need to get the timing right. With a very anxious dog it is very difficult. Stella had taught me heaps too like your Jake. But when she is acting up she can cause quite a scene & I have seen the look on peoples faces like, "OMG" !! & the comments, "that dog should be pts, it's crazy". It is upsetting but I am doing my absolute best with her & she is improving on her good days. She is the sweetest little girl ever when there is nothing noisey like a mower or something that triggers her anxiety.

She has really improved with DA. We have been working really hard on that lately. This week we have even been walking for 1 hour a day with another female BC, without a single issue. This is a remarkable effort for her. While they are both on leads & they don't interact with eachother, Stella has not shown any signs of aggression, growling etc. & relaxes well. I'm wrapped as this is very big/brave step for my girl. I think the medication is helping her in conjunction with supervised exposure to all the 'scarey stuff '.

Staffyluv, with Stella we are always doing one step forward, 2 back.... We even do back flips if we really

loose it, giggle :) I understand your frustration.

Edited by BC Crazy

BC Crazy, I hear you - it is hard. Sometimes I wish I was a professional dog trainer because I am pretty sure he would be much better than he is now. But we are getting there. I just don't know enough to make it happen faster.

I am lucky with Zig, as in he is not aggressive - he doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body. He is just extremely excitable and that excitement can escalate to a point where he doesn't recall - that is dangerous and unfair to other dogs and their owners.

So I monitor his play time very closely these days. We walk away if on lead or I recall pretty early if not.

He was playing with a ball and another dog the other day - I could see he was getting excited and I called him back. He came back the first call.. Once upon a time, I would have to call a couple of times.

It is all these little improvements that make it all worth while..

I know one day he will recall at the first call every time :)

You don't have to be a professional. You just have to teach yourself an eye for detail. ;) Having said that, LAT helps a lot because it gives your dog an opportunity to tell you clearly when they are having difficulties. It's much easier to see them initiating LAT than seeing them approaching threshold without it. You only have to look for one thing. A quiet, alert look. Just keep marking it and rewarding it before it turns into something you don't want. If you're consistent it will stick and make life much easier for you both.

Noodle went for a big long walk today and was so happy about it. When we got back to the car he refused to walk close to it (he's been doing this for months) so instead of going back and picking him up like I normally do, I got in the car - he leapt into my lap before I closed the door LOL! So that's one problem solved!

Underdog this Thursday fingers crossed... I think once he's finally on pills (I don't want to pay $600 to get the ok from a vet behaviorist when I already know he needs them :() he'll be a completely different dog - than his other leg op and HOPEFULLY he'll be much much happier!

Good luck Panzer!

As evidence for the power of consistency, today Kivi got barked at aggressively by a dog behind a fence, which is one of two things in the entire world that pushes him over threshold. He was off leash, but barked twice, looked around, found me, and ran joyously 30m to me so he could park himself in heel position. I didn't even say anything! This came entirely from cueing heels after a dog had got him all worked up, so it wasn't even particularly good training. He's certainly not cured, as if he's on leash and we are on the footpath and have to go past the dog hurling verbal abuse at him, he will struggle, but it is a nice improvement on running up to the fence and barking back, which is what he used to do when he was off leash. And Erik walked past softball training today without a second glance, which is pretty damn close to cured! He needed a bit of support on the other side where we were very close to the batter, but remained super responsive and easily manageable. Considering not too long ago he was madly offering LAT if we were an entire field away from softball practice, I could not be happier.

So hang in their, guys. Break your problems down into bite-sized chunks and just patiently and consistently chip away at it, keeping your dog under threshold. I am so proud of how E is coming along lately. He has matured a lot in the last 12 months, but that's not to say maturation alone is responsible for our diminished list of triggers or Erik's phenomenal responsiveness when he is unsettled. I could not even count how many things I have frantically nipped in the bud and I still ended up with half a dozen or so triggers that provoked some quite inappropriate behaviour, but we are now down to the most long-standing ones and Erik's foundation and coping skills are fantastic. Even if I do miss something he is easy to call in and will go into his LAT etc routines. It's been a long 3 1/2 years, but Erik is SO MUCH BETTER. It's hard to believe he's the same dog.

I'm glad to hear Noodles back to walking, does that mean his back has improved? When you say pills are you considering behavior altering medication, I will say it's been a big help for us. I don't want to keep him on them much longer but I think it's given us a good leg up to get some good behavior started.

My neighbours dog has started some treatment that had made her more alert and she now spends a lot of time at the window that overlooks our garden barking at either Jake or the chooks. I've been using this as a great training tool, a barking dog on tap just out the front door. I've been doing all my clicker training out there and today Jake was sleeping on the lawn and I was across the creek about 50m away, she fired up barking about 10m away from him and I saw him jump up. One quick call and he changed direction and came straight to me. Big dollop of peanut butter for that one.

Thanks Corvus :)

Hankdog, yep, I think Scooter defo needs meds! His back is really good now, it's just his leg giving him trouble all the time. I'm glad Jake has improved enough for you to consider taking him off! You must be so happy!

Curiously, after the walk he started barking like an idiot again and was really on guard until I went to bed. Sigh. A huge walk is meant to TIRE you, not wind you up! Stop being so broken, little man.

Staffyluv - that was an amazing post about how you found Zig - or he found you. Thanks for sharing that.

I'm a great believer in meant to be - even though we can't always see it at the time.

It's always really, really handy to have a knowledgeable "spotter" - for any sort of training. We can be so involved with what we're doing, that we can't see the wood for the trees - we just can't see the detail for ourselves. We 'know' you well enough to know that you're not going to allow your dog to be overwhelmed, so you're able to take what the club has to offer, while at the same time doing what Zig needs you to do.

As with all training - little steps - hoefully mostly forward - but an occeasional great leap forward. Random reinforcement schedule :laugh: .

It's always really, really handy to have a knowledgeable "spotter" - for any sort of training. We can be so involved with what we're doing, that we can't see the wood for the trees - we just can't see the detail for ourselves.

Or if that isn't possible, videoing your training is the next best thing! You can pick up on so much that you miss in real-time :)

--

And yes, improvement is possible, I have a success story here :) I was "lucky" in the sense that Weez is motion-reactive rather than dog-reactive so it was a million times easier to set up controlled predictable scenarios for him to train with. But now I can't even play LAT with him and bikes because he just doesn't see them as anything that needs looking at! Happy to PM anyone the video of his counter-conditioning that my trainer made if interested.

It's always really, really handy to have a knowledgeable "spotter" - for any sort of training. We can be so involved with what we're doing, that we can't see the wood for the trees - we just can't see the detail for ourselves.

Or if that isn't possible, videoing your training is the next best thing! You can pick up on so much that you miss in real-time :)

--

And yes, improvement is possible, I have a success story here :) I was "lucky" in the sense that Weez is motion-reactive rather than dog-reactive so it was a million times easier to set up controlled predictable scenarios for him to train with. But now I can't even play LAT with him and bikes because he just doesn't see them as anything that needs looking at! Happy to PM anyone the video of his counter-conditioning that my trainer made if interested.

Oh yes please LBD. Luka is dog reactive but much much much more so if that dog is off leash and running or moving erratically. Always interested in watching videos. :D

Same with Stella TK. She is dog reactive but multiply it by a million if the dog is off lead/ running/chasing a ball. Movement is Stella down fall. That & noise. Stella will completely lose it with both happening. Eg. Mowers, tractors, leash free dogs. If a person appears out of the blue that she didn't notice. Just to name a few things.

I also love any footage I can view that may help me to help Stella conquer her fears :)

Isnt it strange Jake is much more relaxed if we walk near traffic. I've put it down to being white noise or possibly giving him something else to focus on. Yesterday a kid rode his scooter into the back of him, he didn't blink. For the next 200m the kid rode back and forth between us and his mother, absolutely no problem. Went to the vet tonight and there were cats in the waiting room and again no problem, sat beautifully whilst I did paperwork. He is so bombproof in every other way, I do wonder what happened to make him like he is.

BC I had Amy envy when Snook woukd write about training before I found Vicki, keep looking there'll be a trainer for you somewhere. Such a relief when you find the right one.

--

Oh yes please LBD. Luka is dog reactive but much much much more so if that dog is off leash and running or moving erratically. Always interested in watching videos. :D

I second that response... I would love to see it as well.

Zig always seems to be on high alert when out walking. He occasionally is relaxed but most of the time he is 'looking' at everything..

He will still listen to me but it is much harder with the distraction of cars, bikes and his worst distraction, other dogs.. He is still very dog focused and still seems to prefer other dogs to people.

After training the dogs get to have an on lead play with each other for a bit. Other owners will try to pat him and he dodges them, not wanting the pats. He is fine with people he knows but seems uncomfortable with people outside home that want to pat him.

Corvus when I say I wish I was a professional trainer it is only because I do wish I had more time to learn more. Zig would be so much better in the hands of someone who was more comfortable and experienced dealing with his issues..

But he got stuck with me and we do the best we can.

Taking him to obedience could have backfired but it didn't and I would never have known if I didn't try. Being so inexperienced with a dog with issues, I think I owed it to him to try every avenue when others were not working.

Just reading everyone else's updates and when you read back, even six months ago, we have all made progress in one way or another.

I am so thankful for this thread, I think I have learned more posting in here than from our behaviourist and all the videos I have watched over the last year or so.. Other owners experiences and the trainers who give their advice so freely, thanks.

Oh did you go to Underdog today? Did they find Scooties reset button. Darn I wish I knew where Jakes was!

Well, they came to us, but yes! Thank god! I cannot sing Cos' praises highly enough. She actually liked Scootie :D and gave us a bunch of strategies to work on. She also said he doesn't need drugs - yay! So a whole bunch of training and another leg op are coming up. Poor thing won't know what hit him!

I swear one day Lucy is going to hand me adoption papers so that she can live with Tamara, Stuart and their pack. Gilbert is her BFF. She went from growling at every dog she met to absolutely loving the Underdog pack. They really helped her rehab. Every time she has a holiday at their house she comes back more relaxed and confident.

Thanks for the video LBD it was really helpful. Diesel did great :thumbsup:

It is more difficult to set up the correct scenario with other dogs but I did realise something watching the video. Because I am also working on Luka walking on a loose leash I am giving him treats as we walk along anyway, just a more quick fire treat delivery when we see another dog or person. Maybe he isn't getting the association with 'strange dog/person = treats/good stuff'

It is interesting that Diesel was sitting still for the first encounters too. I'm now wondering where I can go or how I can manipulate the situation so Luka wouldn't have to be walking towards another dog.

I wish I knew more people with dogs. :(