Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

Unfortunately not Snook :( I have spoke to the emergency vet and he seemed to think as there is no swelling or discomfort he should be fine. I also checked his pupil response and it contracted up nicely so fingers crossed we are all good.

Oh Snook, how heartbreaking for you and Justice. I am still really angry over what happened to you and Justice at the daycare centre, and now devastated for you both that it is still having a major impact on your lifes. All the hard work and stress. I can totally understand not wanting to go through all that again. I have to agree with those who have suggested that maybe Justice's eyesight is starting to fail. He is such a gorgeous dog, with such a funny personality. I wish you both a very happy and extremely long retirement. May you both enjoy your secret walks for many years to come.

Jake was created because of his engaging personality :D

Teekay, I really feel for you. It is awful to have to way up the consequences of getting medical treatment and not getting treatment. When Dee was at the emergency vets for a suspected bowel obstruction, they rang me first thing on Sunday morning to ask me to come and get her, because she was howling the place down, and causing the other dogs to join in. She is confident with me around, but not so if I am not there. I think Lukka's eye will be fine as there is no swelling and it is reacting to light correctly, there is no squinting or excessive tearing. Good luck.

Teekay, have you ever thought of giving another Vet a try? From personal experience I decided to seek out a new Vet & we haven't looked back. Stella was an absolute nightmare to take to our original Vet of almost 20 years. She tried to jump through a closed window in the waiting room, upturned all the furniture etc She bit him on several occasions as well :( It was a four person job just to get her vaccinated.

I now see a very switched on female Vet who is just amazing with her & Stella quite happily visits her. It's like we are popping in to say high to a friend. No need to muzzle her or anything. She walks into the consult room quite calmly. This Vet doesn't have a consult table, everything is done on the floor. Stella went last week to have her bloods checked & a full check up. We were there for about 40mins while Sonny had acupuncture as well. Stella decided she may like to take a wonder about so opened the rear sliding door of the consult room with her nose, ventured into the next room to say hi to her favourite Vet nurse, then wondered back :laugh: She never put a paw wrong. Stel was actually sitting on the Vets lap at one stage & giving her a few kisses. Honestly switching Vets was the best thing I ever did.

Just a thought Teekay as it has been such a positive game changer for us :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Thanks BC, Wow, that's great to hear about Stella, makes life a million times easier for us if they have a good relationship with the vet.

I have worked on Luka and the vets and he is much better than he was. We did lots of social visits and the one vet there he seems ok with, as long as she takes it slow. My husband took him for his vaccinations last year, because I thought he may pick up on my stress, and Luka was absolutely fine with her. I did have to take him in for a emergency consult though, a while ago now, and it was a different vet. He lost it. The vet couldn't get anywhere near him :(

I have been very lax this year and we haven't been back for any social visits so I'm not sure how he would be and the vet he does know isn't always on, so it is a worry that it will be the other vet. :( Need to pick my game up on that.

They also examine him on the floor which is helpful :) it's not perfect there, but they do try :) TBH I'm too scared to try anywhere else and start from scratch.

Eta. Eye looks good this morning :)

Edited by teekay

We bought a soft crate for the car this past week after the straw finally broke the camels back. I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out, chalk it up to a learning experience I guess. I covered it with a towel so she can't do her block at things she sees out the windows and we can have a far less stressful car trip without reinforcing mental behaviour.

She looked ridiculous in her slightly oversized Weatherbeeta coat this morning but our BAT session was AWESOME and I felt very zen on the drive home :)

Oh she loves the car BC, she just does her block at all of her triggers ie dogs, people, bikes, overhead passes. The car means walkies!! But this will as you say make everything far more peaceful for all of us. Its been nice not having to apologise to pedestrians (saying it to myself in the car) when I see them walking ahead of us :laugh:

Oh I see. Stella is a reactive girl in the car as well. She has improved lots though. When she was a youngster she would bark & growl at pretty much everything she saw as we were driving along. Now it is usually if she see's another BC or the postie. Otherwise she just lays down & is quiet as a mouse which is fabulous. Great idea to cover Annies crate but just be careful she doesn't get too hot BL :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Sometimes Bonnie makes me wonder. Tonight it was about where she sees herself in the household structure and where she sees us. She's never been the biggest fan of our central reverse heating system, and in the last week or so has started growling and barking at it when it powers down and makes wooshes and clicks. I know dogs hear different to we do, so tonight I just watched her to see what her body language was and what signals she was giving off.

It was the same sort of barking and body language she displays when she's barking when somebody is near the house. Guard-like behaviour, a warning. It went on for a little while until I growled at her and sent her to her bed. Her reaction went down, but each time she growled at it I growled at her and moved into her space. Whenever she backed off so did I, giving her long slow pats and she was actually asking for more pats. I moved back to the couch and she eventually asked to come up to be with us, something she's been reticent to do when the heater is on because she's so worried by it. She gave a very small growl at the heater which I returned, she looked at me and then put her paw on my leg and promptly relaxed and fell asleep, snoring.

I feel like I've just shown her I'll deal with the big scary thing, not her, and she's able to relax now? Very Victoria Stillwell I suppose but having her relaxed enough to fall asleep on the couch while the heater is on is a definite win and I'm taking it.

Jake barks at the tv. So I used to take him to the kitchen, give him a treat and then go back and do LAT. Of course that became Jake wanting a snack whilst watching tv and barking and running to the treat cupboard. Mind you most of my family argue with the TV so I can't blame him for copying us. Now I just laugh at him, nudge him in the butt if he's close enough or throw a cushion at him if he's far away and then tell him shush.

Dremeled one of my little horrors nails for three whole seconds today after being entertained with some truly petulant antics. Life is so hard when you want ham but the only way you're gonna get it is by quitting with the BUT I'M A PRINCESS act :laugh:

Good on you. I'm too chicken after once cutting Hanks nail and getting an impressive fountain that required emergency vet attendance. Jakes' nails are softer but since he's at the vet a lot I just get them to do his dew claws and the rest seem to wear down while walking.

We got both front paws done last night. Pinned her down and gave them a good tidy, poo poo me all you want but I was not taking her nonsense any longer and was over the long nail gouging. She hasn't had them done since we got her in December, we kept saying we would but then seeing how she was with strangers I just wasn't prepared to put any groomer through that, so we just kept putting it off and putting it off. Ah the joys of being a novice dog owner. So I bit the bullet and did her myself, and now I don't think I'll ever pay for it! I'll do the back nails tonight and go again in four or so days just to keep the quick receding, Dober Dawn is awesome!

Amazing training session today. Our doggie partner for today was a very excited, whining and yipping cattle dog. We worked in the shed going around doing a little circuit and doing the bulldog version of what the cattle dog was doing. We managed to get a down stay about 5m away from her and Jake was pretty confident climbing onto a raised platform and doing a little jump. I was able to encourage him to take himself away if he seemed to be getting overwhelmed and basically he just had a very nice fun time????????.

Excellent work Jake. It sounds like he is becoming the calming dog that allows more stressed dogs to work through their issues, which indicates that he has come a very long way.

Something to be really proud of hankdog :thumbsup:

That is an excellent point grumpette & one I overlooked. Jake is doing really very well then HD :)

Stella is improving so much around other dogs. Oncomming off leash dogs would previously get barked at & if I allowed her she would rush at them. Very assertive. Now she doesn't bark nor does she rush. Her whole approach seems to have changed. She lowers her head instead of her old dominant chest out,I'm all over you stance. Her body has lost that apprehensive stiffness. No lip curl or growling. Happily stands still for the meet & greet. Then off we go on our merry way.

I have been very vigilant with her over the past 12 months or so with regards to her around other dog's.

I have changed were we train/play off lead. Found this great place at the end of a park with a walking track on one side so we radomly have passing people,dogs,bikes & everything in between. I place myself where I can see everything oncoming but nothing can approach us from behind & there fore I can be prepared. I usually have Stella busily doing LAT while the oncoming dog passes. Or on occasion I may choose to do & meet & greet. So this is done on lead We also have a practised emergency exit routine if need be.

Overtime our daily outings are much more structured. I have taken away all Stella's opportunities to just dash off & interact with who ever she chooses to. Now I make that call. With much tighter supervision & redirection Stella has become a lot more focused on me & she has gained so much confidence. I think all these points are key to her much improved behaviour.

Edited by BC Crazy