Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

My parents had a GR that sounds a lot like Justice. He was a well bred dog and mum took him to pre-puppy school and all the way through to his obedience certificate (CD type standard). He was always really really nervy. It seemed like he hated going for walks. You would almost have to drag him around. Wasn't much fun for anyone.

He also did some biting.

The final straw came when he was outside going nuts at some workmen and Dad went out to see what was going on and Ben attacked him. Re-bound aggression I guess. They had him PTS at that stage. They had tried lots of drugs too. The vet thought he might have had some some of brain tumour.

I didn't live at home when they had him but did house sit once and remember being quite 'WTF' about this dog that hated being walked. He would literally shake, like Justice.

I really hope that coming off the meds helps Snook.

The only other dog that I had heard of (read about in a book) that had such extreme anxiety had lead paint poisoning. You don't have any lead paint anywhere do you?

So I've been doing some mind bending with Tubster. We have a poodle we walk past, sweet dog that makes lots of calming signals. It's garden is raised about a meter above the pavement and has metal bar fencing. For years now I have worked on luring and doing LAT past the house but I think I'm being trained so now I've decided that once he lunges I'll go with it so the reward he gets for a lunge is to get closer and have to sit and calm down before he gets a lick and can choose his next step.

Poor dog, his mind is so confused. So now that first lunge is kind of hesitant or he just reduces to a whinging walk past. Lots of looking and grumbling and then a nice sit to collect his reward once we have gotten past the house.

So we shall see what he comes up with next week in the game of trainer vs trainee.

Poppy is such a funny dog. We were at dog school today, my school is very very busy. She ignored heaps of dogs, said hello to a couple of not really in control dogs whose owners were letting them bounce around. Right near the end she got vey intense about 3 black kelpie cross type dogs. They were not anywhere near her or paying her any attention or doing anything but standing around. But she did the go very still, glare thing that she does. Interestingly each one of these dogs had a yellow bandana on to indicate that they need space! I wonder what energy they were giving off for Poppy to act like that.

Poor little fella. I do hope it's the drugs side effects on him and not actual deterioration. Has he ever had his brain scanned? What about if you back out at night when people are asleep?

I wish we could speak dog to find out what's upsetting them and let them know it's okay :(

Nothing to report on my front, trainer intimidated me like usual but Thistle sat quietly in a circle of dogs including a couple of feet from a strange terrier. Barked at he trainer less too. Also felt better that by wearing her scared vest the trainer (evaluates dog attacks for legal things???) reckons even if thistle did bite someone / something they'd be at fault for going up to the dog. Which makes me feel a bit more confident and hence thistle more confident?

So hard to be confident for the dog x-x

Haha yes looks like I lost some words while typing. Head back out at night, even without the sunlight as it may remind him he likes the yard and it's not so scary? And give a bit of fresh air, maybe a shake or roll or any kind of normal behaviour you can reward him for?

Sounds a good plan between the drugs. Hang in there, both of you! :(

I think tinnitus, panic attacks and increased anxiety are all possible withdrawal effects of prozac. You see the VB tomorrow? I hope she can do something. I feel so sorry for you guys, such a hard road you are walking right now. Holding thumbs you get some good luck soon.

Glad he made it through a day without a full meltdown! Especially to the vb. I hope these ssri help. Perhaps you can log melt downs or extreme events per day? If you're not already doing so, then fingers crossed in a month you can look back and go "well it's only twice a week now and last month it was 10!"?

Idk what my mobile predictive text is thinking

Edited by Thistle the dog

Fingers crossed that you're on the right track. Aaaargh I hate that crazy car to car dodge. Although Tuesday is my best walk day because it's bin day in our neighborhood, I have occasionally considered wandering around with a collapsible dog shield.

At one point I actually did consider making some kind of blinkers for Jake, then one of my early trainers told me she had a terrible client who had tried to blinker her dog....oops.

Poor Justice, you must both be worn out. Fingers crossed for a good nights sleep tonight.

Did you give him a nice glitter top coat blink blink? That's great he had a good outing and a good nights sleep.

No glitter! Just a warm spa, blow dry, cut and file pawdicure. And a belly full of treats. I don't think he could quite believe his luck!

PS.....and I must put in a good word for Gruf, who kindly waits patiently and silently in his covered crate in the corner of the bathing room when Justice comes. Justice didn't have a clue that Gruf was in the same room. :thumbsup:

Thats fantastic.

I am kind of amused at the mild shaking in my presence. I have that effect on people too lol :rofl:

Just to clarify, Justice came to see me for a bath and pawdicure at my grooming salon, not far from where he lives. It wasn't a long trip up to Mannum. ........ But it would be awesome to see him back up there too :thumbsup: