Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

The only time she was really worried was in the car park (cause a dog was playing in the boarding kennel runs) and reception (it DOES look an awful lot like a vet...) but once we started walking down and into the parks, it was fun! And perfectly safe from other dogs!

I think even if another dog was playing in the other park bit, it'd be minimal fuss because they have hedges growing between the two sets of fences? That's going to be interesting for impulse control later on when I assume usage picks up but glad fence fighting isn't going to be a thing.

But yay! somewhere to play off lead games! I want that outdoor pool soooo bad, come on warm weather.

Yay happy puppy n_n and the behaviourist does reckon we should have 6 'different' places to train in so i think this can count (so obedience classes, best friends/vet, pet barn, local footie field, kepala' = 1 more place!

Glad you enjoyed Kepala Thistle the dog. I must get over there one day.

I went to a local garden today after discovering they allow dogs. I've been before and always thought it would be nice to take the dogs. We had a nice walk around, were the only people there! And a devonshire tea after! The resident dog did bark at us when we got there but they quickly put him away.

21l7lao.jpg

We're going overseas tomorrow morning and I'm so sad to be leaving Dozer at home.

We've got a great housemate that will be puppy sitting for us as he's on holidays while we're away , but I'm feeling so stressed about leaving my funny boy.

There's a good chance I'm going to end up crying today..

Eta: well, grumbleguts seems to know something different is happening as he's grumbled his way off the couch and is grumbling away still in the hallway

Edited by Taliecat

We're off to bali, I'm a little disappointed I didn't think to organise a volunteer day with some of the rescue agencies over there.

I'm so glad our housemate didn't end up coming, I was dreading and stressing about putting him into a kennel..

Maybe if you have free days planned, you could still do a last minute organised "play time" - you could go in and do some quick games or training sessions?

I'm glad your housemate is staying too, some dogs don't do well with kennels :( I'm glad least he's with someone who knows him and who can send you pictures! I hope you have a blast!

PS Passed out the dog today, it may not be physically demanding but people-desnsitisation in unfamiliar locations takes a lot out of her. Got a happy set of grins towards the end (or she was just warm, hard to tell. But she sniffed a dude)

12009563_10155930377510161_3281437123955233556_n.jpg?oh=185a8c1dc7bd2956a4e703652a52a6c5&oe=5664A0F9

Dropped near a large man - normally the scariest thing every but we'd been following him around for about 20 mins with his okay (and he made sure to act like she wasn't there, thank you obliging stranger who was buying random pet stuff).

We saw one dog but the other person was keeping a distance from us, I think they were working on their own reactivity as well as they were doing similar to us. Rewarding for looking around, sniffing etc. Another blue merle too, collie style.

Awww well done Justice! It's so nice to hear him progressing! Hopefully one day soon you can go for relaxing walks again without fear of other dogs!

We went to kepala today, just for fun with no out-of-the-normal training. She got a bit worried over dogs in the other parks and wouldn't go in the water for it, but still some fun energy burning (pics in my thread)

tumblr_nuww2pLL9j1qh8fino1_540.jpg

Tomorrow there's no official dog classes so I'm meeting up with a bunch of random people who attend the classes and we're going to do our own training session at the usual time and place. Idk what they're planning but we're going to practice sit/drops/stays and end-of-lead-recalls around the other dogs.

I really like the agility section n_n it's a little further away/more obscured from view of the other dogs than the grass ones are and it's got more things for her to check out and desensitise against. At one point someone went into one near us and she could see it through the gate so got worried again, in her freeze-and-stare-rudely type way but we just walked further up.

idk if you can see it but i've got her vest displayed facing the entry (yellow blob on far right).

tumblr_nuwxwlzMz11qh8fino1_250.gif

oh! while playing fetch she found a good spot to pee so she dropped the ball and...peed...all...over...the...ball...fetch ruined :/

Edited by Thistle the dog

Now come next week, to have a meeting with my manager around working extra hours so i can have every second monday off for "recreational purposes" aka take the dog to kepala during the quiet hours!

tumblr_nuwxwlzMz11qh8fino1_250.gif

I wish there were more places like this, it's so nice to have a place to chill and relax without having to worry about uncontrolled dogs running up.

Urgh I hope you gave dirty looks back at them? I wish rangers would actually roam about and fine people for not having control of their offlead dogs. The councils would make loads of money and the dogs would be safer! Imagine if their lab had tripped and gone under your wheels?!

My trainer says to put up the biggest fuss if someone's dog approaches me offlead (whether I have a dog with me or not) so they realise not eveyone wants to have their dog jumping on them. Nothing major just stuff like "bad dog go home!"

So sick of ppl thinking letting their dog be rude is good behaviour >_>

I'm glad his tooth is out and not causing trouble :) doing so well!

It took me a very long time but I eventually reached the stage where I won't put up with people's dogs rushing us or people letting their dogs drag them over to us. If I have time I will ask politely once for them to call their dog or stop. If I get ignored or they can't recall their dog, I don't care if they think I'm rude or if I have to physically stop their dog in some way. I will do whatever it takes to keep Justice safe and free from harassment, if I possibly can.

Absolutely, and you have every right to do so, whether your dog has serious reactivity issues or not. I have said before that I think if people take their dog to a fenced, specific off leash dog park they have to expect other dogs to approach theirs BUT that doesn't mean if a dog is approaching in a way that concerns you you don't have every right to move away/intervene/physically block, whatever you need to do. I've yelled and grabbed other dogs before and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if necessary. And if you are in a shared or on leash area then even more so you have every right to tell people in no uncertain terms to keep their dog away.

I was getting Jake in the car a few months ago. I have a van so both doors were open, Jake was in his crate and I was sitting reaching into the crate to get his gear off. A passerby happily let their standard poodle jump onto me to get to Jake. The doors had blocked me from seeing it coming but both I and Jake erupted into crazy and then I got told off by the idiot for having my pitbull out on public. Special kind of stupid lurks everywhere.

D:

Just D:

My best friends is so nice, they're giving me the heads up that they're doing free nail triming Friday night so the store will probably be packed (and thus TOO busy for nightly social dog rehab). I'll go to petbarn instead.

She's getting her nails trimmed by a vet on Saturday because last week I got her quick and I'm too scared to try again :(

All these are of course exhausting for her and I expect she'll shut down during the nail trim. But dog classes are back on on Sunday so I hope we can keep slowly progressing.

(Oh how I wish we could move up to her ignoring dogs running up! It's not like it'd be hard, she looms over most dogs! Just raise your head and look away and the feathered headed off leader will probably run off to find a more interesting dog!)

Poppy used to think GR were the spawn of Satan! She found their happy bounciness very offensive. Last week we had 2 run up to us on different days and she just wagged her tail at them. Both were pretty full on too, I thought one was going to knock us all over! Luckily both dogs recalled to their owners so it wasn't a prolonged meeting. But I was pretty pleased.