Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

Does anyone know of a groomer in the northern suburbs of Adelaide who would be suitable for washing an anxious dog? They would need to use positive reinforcement and know the signs of the dog being overthreshold. Asking for someone else.

I know someone in here is a groomer but I can't remember who or where they are located.

Hmmm... I think I've found it.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Does anyone know of a groomer in the northern suburbs of Adelaide who would be suitable for washing an anxious dog? They would need to use positive reinforcement and know the signs of the dog being overthreshold. Asking for someone else.

I know someone in here is a groomer but I can't remember who or where they are located.

blinkblink - who justice sees...???

blinkblink - who justice sees...???

Yeah that's who I was thinking. :)

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Malcolm's Ruf Ruf Cool Coat arrived today. It's like a thundershirt but is a lighter material and sleeveless so it's less hot in summer and we can use it as a base layer in winter. It also has the side benefit of looking like a muscle shirt. #showusyourgunsmal

This is me

depend on what size dog etc. I can't take really large dogs and there are a few of the smaller breeds i won't take. Best for me to discuss things with the owner if they want to.

ETA.... i also have a couple of great recs for other services if they need something closer.

Edited by blinkblink

This is me

depend on what size dog etc. I can't take really large dogs and there are a few of the smaller breeds i won't take. Best for me to discuss things with the owner if they want to.

ETA.... i also have a couple of great recs for other services if they need something closer.

Ta. I've passed on your details.

PS Leon. ????

This is me

Ta. I've passed on your details.

PS Leon. ????

yes isn't he! He is a fab dog to handle but its especially nice for me not be asked to butcher up a perfectly beautiful coat. So many owners want the tail trimmed, the butt clipped or an all over shape up which I think looks silly (but will do of course!) . I always look forward to seeing him. I trim his feet and just tip his leg feathers so they are off the ground a tiny bit. His owners keep him in wonderful condition.

Malcolm has a calming cap which he wears in the car and in the evenings for his anxiety and compulsive behaviour around his own reflection and light reflections/shadows. You probably know this, but they can still see out of it, visual stimuli are just less scary and muted, like I suppose when wearing earplugs in a noisy environment. I understand the trepidation with Justice though due to his unique fears.

Our VB posted this article about propanalol on their FB page recently: https://newrepublic.com/article/133008/cure-fear — it looks very promising!

Well, it looks like valium might be Justice's magic bullet. I've been trialling him using an error beep on my computer that started distressing him when he was on fluoxetine and is a fear that didn't disappear when he went off of the medication. His normal response is to immediately run over to me and put his head on my lap and then try to climb on me, sometimes shaking at the same time. He's usually inconsolable unless I leave the computer and go and sit with him on the couch and give him cuddles. His response to this trigger didn't change at all on the propanalol but on just 2 1/2 valium (he can have up to 10), he's not freaking out. I've done two days of trials so far, with three triggers of the beep over about 40 minutes. If he's lying on the couch when I trigger it, he's raising his eyebrows but not lifting his head up. If he's finding treats in his snuffle mat when I trigger it, he either looks up and then goes back to what he was doing or comes over for a quick pat and then goes back to the snuffle mat. The third round of triggering it gets more of a stress response but that's to be expected as it's trigger stacking, although he's recovering very quickly from it and even me saying in an excited voice "where's your treats" is enough for him to forget all about the noise and trot off to look for treats. It might not sound like much but it's pretty amazing compared to his usual response. I've also done some training sessions with him after setting off the trigger, just to make sure he's not dopey at all all and not responding because he's out of it in any way, and he's just like normal with his perkiness and quick responses, even with super low value treats, so I don't think it's having any kind of negative impact on him. The next step is to take him out in the car and try to do some LAT work while in the car, outside of a fairly quiet dog park. Even if he's a bit stressed, if he can accept the treats and do the work we need to do, then I won't increase his dosage at all, as all I'm looking for is for him to be able to cope with the behaviour modification work. Once we get that going, he should start making progress, if history is any indication. I'm beyond thrilled that it looks like we're on to a winner and that it's so effective at a super low dose, as that means he's much more likely to retain the benefits of the behaviour mod work and not forget what we've done, which was a risk that comes with giving him valium.

OMG. I just saw this. I'll never forget the feeling on the day Scottie went form "OMG X 1000000000 - you're home!!!!!!!!!!" to "oh cool -its you - well see ya I have this thing in the yard to do"

You must feel the same way.

Very very happy for you both.

Edit: saw your other update too.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

GO JUSTICE!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by Scottsmum

Lol.. That's because I'm hopeless at consistently bending over far enough to give him his treats, so he does a little jump to grab them. He's a lot lower down than he looks!

exact reason my next dog will be hip height LOL

Lol.. That's because I'm hopeless at consistently bending over far enough to give him his treats, so he does a little jump to grab them. He's a lot lower down than he looks!

exact reason my next dog will be hip height LOL

I am laughing at both of you! :laugh:

"He's a lot lower than he looks!" :rofl: