Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

On 2/11/2017 at 10:21 PM, Papillon Kisses said:

I confess that I'm getting a bit fed up and weary. The heat probably doesn't help I know.

Apart from the odd good day, Mal's anxiety has been worsening. Apart from my arms his safe places are no longer safe. Nights are awful. He's barking more and set off by the slightest thing and can't settle.

Many tears have been shed.

I just want my little man to feel better, you know? And to be able to do simple things like open the windows to let in a cool breeze when the heat is oppressive, cook dinner and do the laundry. Last night I could only prep/cook while holding him in my arms with his calming cap on because Mr PK wasn't home to tag team. And hoping beyond hope that the smoke alarm wouldn't go off (we think we'll take out the batteries and rely on upstairs).

I've been thinking about getting a trainer in for additional help but I don't know how much that would help given that I think it's mostly a medication/medical issue. I'm a shit trainer but I do think I make good progress when he's actually in the headspace to learn. It's quite startling the difference between training a sick dog and a slightly healthier one. :(

He does have quality of life mainly from eating (lol) and nose work but f me it's exhausting. So exhausting. I'm constantly putting out spot fires.

I feel so sad for him. And tired. :cry: 

Don't come into this thread too often but, obviously, just have. 

Big hugs :heart:

22 hours ago, Thistle the dog said:

Hello all. Radio silence means we're into a good routine. A recent study has come out that's interesting!

“Reactive Dogs and Exercise: Can modifying the daily exercise regime improve behaviour?”

LINK

Simple summary of the key findings by "Wheres your Sit" a dog training blog

I've noticed dog classes where she gets an opportunity to practice calm sniffing, she is much calmer and better able to focus. I wonder if breeds inclined to sniff are more likely to be calmer overall because of such an instinct for a calming activity like sniffing?

She getting better at noseworks :) We have a practical class coming up soon.

Hey Thistles Mum - long time no see. You've possibly seen this, your (bolded) comment made me think of it. https://denisefenzi.com/2015/08/10/acclimation/

I'm sorry I don't have anything helpful to add PK.

Dozer has actually settled right into the new house. He loves racing around the yard having a good sniff.

We don't have any concerns about him going through or over the fences even though we haven't had a chance to put extra measures in place with adding shade cloth and bamboo screens (we'll get there).

He's even stopped peeking out the windows as much.

He now has claimed his spot on the couch in front of the air-conditioning unit and there he stays :rofl:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We had a reassessment yesterday. Both of his meds are going to be increased in line with his new weight (currently 600g off starting weight). They keep trying to tell me he's not overweight on account of not looking like a coffee table (side table!?). Errrr that's obese not overweight!

Anyway, both current and former VB agree that a trainer probably won't help at this point, that it's a medication/anxiety issue not a training problem, etc. etc.

There were a few other things that I won't share here, but some major concerns I had were clarified and it looks like they may be addressed.

Hopefully we'll see some improvement soon with his night time anxiety because it is intense.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Oh I hope you can get some results PK, I can imagine how difficult it is for you and for Malcolm. 

It's interesting, I got really slack with walking my own dogs while I was so focused on working with Molly and have just started up again this week. I knew Molly had both anxiety and frustration issues but it isn't until now when I'm reminded of how "normal" dogs respond to the world that I realise just how much it was affecting her. Prior to going on Lovan she actually seemed quite calm when out on walks but when I see the contrast with my dogs, who spend the whole time with happy relaxed mouths, ears and tails, sniff everything, look around curiously and trot along enthusiastically I realise that poor Molly was probably actually just stressed out the whole time.

The (real) VB I spoke to about Molly also agreed with what yours have said, this kind of thing is a medical issue, not a training one and that finding the right combination of medication is the best treatment. 

I really sympathise and think you are doing a great job, Malcolm is very lucky to have you

ETA pm me if you want to talk about anything you don't want to post publicly, you're in a different (more difficult), position than I was with Moll but I'm very happy to listen, discuss and learn

Edited by Simply Grand
  • Like 3

When Malcolm first went on Prozac the difference in his behaviour on walks was astounding. I actually cried a little after the first walk, which was four weeks into treatment (we were instructed to initially keep him inside).

He was a completely different dog. And I suddenly realised just how stressed he was beforehand, and that his prior unresponsiveness had nothing to do me. It was a real smack in the face that it was an anxiety problem and not a training problem.

Some of his old symtoms have crept back in. I call it 'military style' walking: he's fast, forward-focused (doesn't look or sniff around much), and very set on where he wants to go. He's in less of an echo chamber than he used to be, but looking more worried again. This has meant fewer walks. So I'm looking forward to potentially seeing some improvements when we venture back out again.

The night time stuff has worsened since my above post. He's now shaking even in my arms with his cap on. :( We talked about getting a fast-acting situational med but for now we're seeing if it's just a dosage problem.

We are just shy of 12 months of him being properly diagnosed with GAD & OCD and starting medication. I'm thankful to be feeling a bit more positive and hopeful again.

• Like 2

We just had our first noseworks practical! :)

It was long! We are both so tired and big metal crates are pains to lug around. But the new noseworks building has doggy runs and I did a test run with Thistle sharing a barrier with a lovely lab and she seemed okay with it (holdover from pound days?). So might book out a run next time.

Considering all the people about she did really well. A bit nervous, as to be expected, but she remembered her job and would sniff out the scent. We only got as far as the box, any more and she would focus on the people and look at them like :( so we kept it simple and easy to build confidence.

At one point she did her stand in a box trick, someone took a photo of it but I haven't seen it yet. But did get this pic:

17333371_1045378962228296_55266826127618

Lol! Thistle, rude!

They are just starting weekly noseworks sessions! So I can go back more frequently than every 4 months. That will be fun.

And since the secret is kind of out the bag, this is thistle's "therapy puppy" ;) He's an english springer, after months of failed attempts to get a welsh springer (bad luck mostly, with a side of poor communication), I turned my gaze to the english and there he was, out of the oven, of age and ready for a home.

tumblr_omxfjxjE9D1qh8fino1_540.jpg

He came home a week or so ago and I can now comfortably say i think he'll work out. Currently they are kept separate when i'm not around but I'm hoping around April they can run together.

The run down is he is a very chill young man, confident and forward but not overly so. He listens to other dogs reasonably politely for a puppy, already toilet trained (bonus! We have had accidents, my bad, his preference is outside at grass) and takes most things in stride.

He dislikes cars, metal surfaces and being alone (baby tho).

He will start puppy school in kew, same place as Thistle but an hour earlier. So if anyone is selling a car barrier, that'd be handy, so they can be safe in my car. Otherwise I'm going to rotate who gets formal training each week.

He's already met Didi.

tumblr_omwm97nrMd1uao4k2o3_540.jpg

and everybody getting along pretty well, which makes me happy. Changed my instagram

• Like 4

Ah ha! The news is now out of the bag!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the name. But you already knew that. :laugh:

Also love the picture of Thistle, it's a cracker!

Sounds like you need to build some drive with the nose work. Perhaps keep sessions short and sweet but with HUGE payouts.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

He is lovely, I'm already seeing Thistle being a little more confident when he's around.

His manners need some work but well, he is a baby. He's also missing one of his balls so I hope that shows up or i might have to desex earlier than planned (6 months or a year old instead of 2 years like planned). I can feel something just in front of his penis but i dont know if its his missing ball or his belly button lump. either way, tiny. i'll ask vet in april at his final c5 vaccination.

they did just have a minor tiff. i didn't see what caused it, im inclined to think he was bothering her when she was having a lay down based on the location, but she loudly told him off and chased him away. but no actual contact made, just a nasty shock for him. we did some calming exercises for both to ease hurt feelings then i popped him in his pen to give her a break

(thistle did just start a new dog school today so is more tired than usual, so thyme can go to my usual one)

but overall i quite like him, for a boy and a puppy lol ;)

also i got a new camera, a d5200! I broke the mirror box in my d3100 :'(

I am still learning how to use it but so far so good!

17437531_1736842803294882_58669607727010

• Like 2

More noseworks down, they recently started weekly short classes. So I'm going fortnightly with both dogs I think. Thyme's a run-screamer lol.

Thistle is still lacking confidence, I think it's purely cause when a dog working there no other dogs around so it's just her and the people standing nearby. Kinda creeps her out. I recorded her working and her video will be used in a scared dog behaviour presentation seminar type thing. Lots of pretty typical "i'm scared" signals clearly given.

Thyme is helping though, he comes out and she practically turns into a social butterfly, and when he gets put away she keeps a bit of her courage.

Thyme's pretty solid and chill. Can't wait for my new clicker to arrive so we can start working on that.

She's been enjoying having a little buddy. Thinking by end of April I'll have them running together while I'm at work (he'll be much too big for his puppy pen by then anyway).

• 3 weeks later...

On this anniversary of Thistle being attacked, we have a guest over. Thistle has not barked or growled once!

She has done all these incredibly normal dog things:

- when i opened backdoor for thistle to come in if she wants, she came right in and head straight to the lounge even though she knew an unidentified stranger in the house

- sniffed hello

- after sniffing hello she decided it was cuddle time with this person she met once before, jumped on couch and demanded cuddles

- more cuddles

- was able to be left alone in the lounge with the guest while i took puppy out to potty without freaking out, panicking, going to her kennel/a corner

- only became a concerned "small" dog (hunched up and went low) a couple of times when being walked towards to. would hunch up and crawl away while pointing butt at guest and wagging (my go to when she has "this mood" is to stop going her way, ignore her and let her come out of it herself)

Thyme was all over the place excitement of a guest, he's a run over, sniff, run back to me kind of guy.

Never had her not bark or growl at a person before :) even her best human friends get a tentative BOOF...sniff sniff sniff

puppy therapy is helping!

• Like 4