Exercising Reactive Dogs Thread

Here are three very good options. :) 

Kaye Hargreaves

Wagging School

Dr Kate Mournement BSc(Hons)PhD Applied animal behaviourist

Pets Behaving Badly

Amanda Murcutt

Pawsitively Great Pets

and some general advice about picking a dog trainer as the industry is unregulated:

https://www.companionanimalpsychology.com/2016/12/how-to-choose-dog-trainer.html?m=1

http://thedogspov.com/how-to-spot-a-trainer-that-uses-aversive-training-methods/

• 1 month later...

I have a topical post for once!

The dog park near us has this amazing mini obstacle course that looks so much fun! However, very crowded dog park - I am pretty sure I could go at 2am and still find someone in it. So, solution? Can't take dog to the park, I'll bring the park to home!

(and really, my yard is bigger than this "dog park", even with half of it fenced off because of landscaping)

tumblr_p7itjlhQCE1qh8fino1_1280.jpg

Panorama shot but we have:

the pole cavalettis from scent works (you hide scent in them)

the yellow cavalettis from the small child exercise kit you buy at target or kmart or something

the fold up toddler slide from bunnings but with some rubberpour for grip

partially made - a beam to walk along

tumblr_p7itjlhQCE1qh8fino2_1280.jpg

this is the clear favourite by the dogs, some kind of tunnel tent thing I bought from bunnings discount box:

tumblr_p7itjlhQCE1qh8fino3_1280.jpg

can't see it in the pic, but a ladder positioned to crawl under, then a hoop to jump through and another slide but this time for going down

tumblr_p7itjlhQCE1qh8fino4_1280.jpg

I need more aldi yoga balls, as my dogs are too big to stand on one easily (although they have done so!) 

also some tyres for walking over or jumping over - they're positioned so nightly fetch requires them to jump over the tyres

tumblr_p7itjlhQCE1qh8fino5_1280.jpg

back to the clear winner tent:

tumblr_p7irm8hKbx1qh8fino2_400.gif tumblr_p7is5rOwzn1qh8fino6_400.gif tumblr_p7is5rOwzn1qh8fino8_400.gif

tumblr_p7is5rOwzn1qh8fino10_400.gif tumblr_p7irm8hKbx1qh8fino7_400.gif

they really like the tent! I pack it away when I'm not there as I think they'd likely destroy it.

I also have two home alone toys for each dog to jump at/bark at:

(but I have the toys removed when I'm not present because they don't like sharing and they both prefer the nectarine tree one of the shed one so to prevent conflict, toy bit removed)

tumblr_p5j4hsg6tn1qh8fino2_400.jpg tumblr_p5j4hsg6tn1qh8fino3_400.jpg

the flirt pole is always fun - mine is just a bunnings tomato trainer with a puppy toy on the end

tumblr_p59k2bsw9p1qh8fino5_400.gif

and the yoga ball and fetch, cant go wrong with those

tumblr_p546btVNEc1qh8fino2_400.gif

( i need more of these, come on aldi!!! the aldi ones are super tough, this ones been outside for like a year and going strong)

PS. home grown eco friendly snuffle mat ;)
tumblr_p7k9vd5QSj1qh8fino1_540.jpg
(aka there's a 3m x 2m square of yard i dont mow for dogs and bunnies. i might put a little fence around it to make it look neater, idk)

tumblr_p7irm8hKbx1qh8fino6_400.gif

Edited by Thistle the dog
  • Like 2