Lure Coursing

Hi, I want to know a little bit more about Lure Coursing. I had a read about it on the internet. Are German Shepherds allowed to do it? Is it possible for a dog with dog aggression issues to do it (I'm thinking not). Jyra seems to have a high prey drive, loves chasing birds in our yard, so I'm sure she would be fantastic at lure coursing. The only problem is that it's probably on weekends, which are not good for me.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tess32

Why don't you come and watch this Saturday at KCC park and talk to the ppl there?

I'm gonna try Reilly out for the first time.

Nat

At KCC on 20th? All breeds?

Do you need to enter in advance or can i just turn up with dog? Never tried it but think my weim would love a run. Is it enclosed?

not sure about my collie, i have heard the lure is a plastic bag - she has some irrational fear of moving plastic bags

Edited by dogdayz

Are German Shepherds allowed to do it?

In QLD any dog is allowed to run, purebred or registered or not :) My GSD pup is still doing puppy runs but he'll get to do the full ones eventually.

Is it possible for a dog with dog aggression issues to do it (I'm thinking not).

The one i go to in Kuraby has a fully fenced field in which the lure is run, dogs aren't allowed in until the dog that is just run is out...i think as long as you have half decent control over your dog it would probably be fine but i am just guessing here. But then again if the dog is dog agressive it could take a lot of the fun out of it for both dog and handler.

Nope, it's different.

Though Terrier Racing is similar to what you described...

Lure Coursing on the Zig Zag course is done by one dog at a time (or 2-3 but only family dogs or dogs that know each other well) and the dog chases the 'lure' (plastic bag) around a course that zig zags around. the lure alos goes through tunnels and pipes, and the operator can make it change direction (It's rather funny when the bag goes flying right underneath a stunned dog!) and go various speeds. it's not competitive so far here in Vic.