Lure Coursing

Two questions raised by my OH when i said i was taking my dogs this sunday, can someone answer for me please.

1. when my weim gets over-excited he is going to be hard to recal, is he enclosed, do they stay where the lure finishes, will i be running around like an idiot trying to catch him :rainbowbridge: , if i am will i be the only one. By the way he normally has very good recall but this may just send him over the top.

2. are they more likely to start chasing the cats. This is more a concern with the collie as she already tries herding them :rainbowbridge: .

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dogdayz

although they run zig zag aroung the paddock they start and finish at the same spot

so when they finish they are back where you let them go and there was 2 or 3 other people there to help grab them if needed

as for chasing cats after!! youre guess is as good as mine

Guest Tess32

Well - we went today but Reilly is not overly impressed with lure coursing and seemed to prefer hanging around the gate instead :rolleyes:

Was fun watching the other dogs though. I might give it another go when it's not so hot, and he isn't already tired from training etc.

Nat

... the lure alos goes through tunnels and pipes, and the operator can make it change direction ...

That sounds fun. There's none of that here in Qld. It's just over flat ground in a pattern set out differently each meet. The morning run goes one way and the afternoon in reverse.

Any breed can do it and they all seem to love it.

I wanna take Ned the foster pooch, I think he'd love this, this boy is fast, I used to be a sprinter not too many years ago and I can't keep up with this boy when he's going flat out.

It was a fun experience, though i think i did more running than either of my dogs (sorry, Nat but i brought Skye down lateer in the afternoon after you had left). Mine seemed interested when it was going down the initial straight but lost interest/focus once changing direction, and Skye decided the cover over the criss-cross was the scariest thing she has seen in her life.

I dont think they are beyond hope certainly the guy doing it thinks they both will get it, so we will give it another go.

Guest Tess32

OH bummer....Reilly might have followed another collie.

He was also more interested in the covers than the actual lure when he heard the noise it made as the lure passed through.

I'll give him another go when it aint so hot.

Nat

It was good fun watching on Sunday. Next time I'll bring Jyra and hopefully she'll chase the lure. I threw a plastic bag with a ball inside it (for weight), and she chased it. I then tried to throw the plastic bag with nothing inside it (doesn't really travel well though!) and she tried to chase it too!. So that looks promising, but it was in out backyard, and when we're not in our backyard she is reluctant to chase her toys, but she's still keen on cats. I know she would chase if there was another dog in there who was chasing, but we'd have to find a dog that she'd get along with!

Guest Tess32

hehe, don't be fooled - Reilly is a big chaser and loves chasing things in the backyard, but was hardly impressed with the lure! I even have a video of him in the backyard chasing a plastic bag!

Nat

Like most things- dogs have to 'learn' what to do.

The first time Iko ran the lure mum had to run the way with her and you guys saw her yesterday lol.

Once they know what it's about and how it wont hurt them (The line seems to freak most dogs out at first) they pick it up and want to GO.

But of course some dogs just aren't interested lol.

Jeff- that photo of Max is fantastic!

I went to the park with Jyra today and threw the rope for her. What happens is, she is happy to chase it, but when it stops moving, she's not so interested. So I guess that's another good sign, that is, she is happy to chase outside of home, but less keen keep the rope when she gets to it.

Well I can speculate all I want, only by doing it will we find out if she's interested in it!